One reason why the Bills OLine are injury prone

Dean Cain

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most colleges require it. I'd make my OL wear them, and my interior/not speedster types on the DL wear them as well.

Im not doctor but maybe a brace could have prevented Carringtons quad tear? (Which is season ending) It looked like it was at or around the knee.

PS: I also think we get injured more often because we are either out of shape, or less athletic, or both, than other teams. Face it, when you are out of shape you get lazy and lathargetc and get into more injury prone situations. When you are more athletic you can avoid those situations. It leads to more injuries.

Remeber when Wood had that horrible leg injury? He was blocking and got roled up on by someone from the Jags who was making a sack. Well, if our RT was a better blocker, and didnt allow that sack - boom, Eric wood wouldn't have broke his leg

Who says the Bills offensive line is injury prone? They have had the same starting 5 all season save for Urbik missing one series. Last season, Glenn, Levitre and Urbik didn't miss a snap and Pears/Hairston kind of platooned depending on who was healthy. Wood, the one guy who wears a knee brace (according to you) got hurt for two games as he does every year. I would venture to say that in recent years, the Bills offensive line has been particularly resistant to injury. What in the world are you talking about? And also, what are you, a knee brace salesman?

I would suggest getting your facts straight before you decide to bash someone. Glenn and Urbik were both out for a couple of games last season. Also, Hairston, Pears, Wood and Rineheart all missed games last year. Maybe you don't remember, but at one point, the Bills were down to just four offensive lineman after the San Fransisco game. So, if having almost all of your lineman miss time last year is the epitome of good health, then by all means continue to bash away.

the problem wasnt the idea that they should, it was declaring them injury prone with no base line, not linking any kind of info, etc.... like i said, it amounted to "braces good, injuries bad" when boiled down. its not a bad idea but declaring that woods knee wouldve been ok with a brace, or that because he had one there wasnt a tear just isnt really great content.

In 2010 3 of 5 players missed games. Center Goff Hangartner played 12 games, RG Eric Wood, played in 14 games. RT Mansfield Wrotto played in 7 games.

In 2011 only Levitre and Pears played in all 16 games. Center Eric Wood played in 9 games and the team went into the ceramic convenience once Wood went down. The team started out 5-2 that year.Colin Brown one GS and played in 11 games-Chad Rinehart 12 GS, played in 16 games- Chris Hairston 7 GS, played in 13 games.

In 2012 LT Cordy Glenn 13 game starts, C Eric Wood 14 game starts, Kraig Urbik 13 game starts.Colin Brown 1 game, one GS, Chad Rinehart 7 games, 2 GS- Garrison Sanborn 16 games, 0 starts-Reggie Wells 1 game, 0 GS

In summery the ONLY player to play in all 16 games for the Buffalo Bills the last 3 years is now a Tennessee Titan in Andy Levitre. Conversely, center Eric Wood has been hurt every year he has played for the Buffalo Bills. So the OP has a valid point about O line injuries. Then considering the best player on that line has gone down every year with a knee injury the last three years, his point is immensely important in my view.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2012_roster.htm

EDIT: for the pro-football-reference.com

Edited by FeartheLosing

In 2010 3 of 5 players missed games. Center Goff Hangartner played 12 games, RG Eric Wood, played in 14 games. RT Mansfield Wrotto played in 7 games.

In 2011 only Levitre and Pears played in all 16 games. Center Eric Wood played in 9 games and the team went into the ceramic convenience once Wood went down. The team started out 5-2 that year.Colin Brown one GS and played in 11 games-Chad Rinehart 12 GS, played in 16 games- Chris Hairston 7 GS, played in 13 games.

In 2012 LT Cordy Glenn 13 game starts, C Eric Wood 14 game starts, Kraig Urbik 13 game starts.Colin Brown 1 game, one GS, Chad Rinehart 7 games, 2 GS- Garrison Sanborn 16 games, 0 starts-Reggie Wells 1 game, 0 GS

In summery the ONLY player to play in all 16 games for the Buffalo Bills the last 3 years is now a Tennessee Titan in Andy Levitre. Conversely, center Eric Wood has been hurt every year he has played for the Buffalo Bills. So the OP has a valid point about O line injuries. Then considering the best player on that line has gone down every year with a knee injury the last three years, his point is immensely important in my view.

So it seems there should be good data on this. Discussing a knee braces and using any time missed regardless of injury is the equivalent of saying well it couldn't be worse. In this case if probably couldn't hurt but simply listing all our injuries regardless of them being a knee or not doesn't add to that discussion.

So it seems there should be good data on this. Discussing a knee braces and using any time missed regardless of injury is the equivalent of saying well it couldn't be worse. In this case if probably couldn't hurt but simply listing all our injuries regardless of them being a knee or not doesn't add to that discussion.

The only O line injury I am certain of is that center Eric Wood has gone down with a knee injury every year for the last 3 years, and now he already wears a knee brace every game. The other Bills players would probably be smart to also wear them on both legs.

It would make sense for the Bills players to wear braces like the Patriot players do. Not certain what the team policy is on this issue tho.

Did anybody catch how many players now don't wear cups... Yes, cups! How it is not cool apparently... Seems cup wearing ebbs and flows in The League. I caught an interview where the Philly trainer says that he stocks them and they sit on the self! This will all change again when somebody gets their nuts nailed like the Bears kick retunrner did in the 1970's (Virgil Livers, look it up).

Did anybody catch how many players now don't wear cups... Yes, cups! How it is not cool apparently... Seems cup wearing ebbs and flows in The League. I caught an interview where the Philly trainer says that he stocks them and they sit on the self! This will all change again when somebody gets their nuts nailed like the Bears kick retunrner did in the 1970's (Virgil Livers, look it up).

please stop typing

http://www.pro-footb...2012_roster.htm

EDIT: for the pro-football-reference.com

Huh. Sounds like the reason the Bills' o-line is injury-prone is because they let go of the durable players. Reverse-Darwinism at work!

I recall years back when I was injured talking with physical therapist about braces. She discouraged it as her feeling was by wearing a brace the joint doesn't get as strong. Not comparing myself to an NFL player, but still the same reasoning. Seems I recall hearing about situation where they make the players wear them for practice only but not in games, thinking is they don't lose the mobility in games but still protect themselves in practice.

I recall years back when I was injured talking with physical therapist about braces. She discouraged it as her feeling was by wearing a brace the joint doesn't get as strong. Not comparing myself to an NFL player, but still the same reasoning. Seems I recall hearing about situation where they make the players wear them for practice only but not in games, thinking is they don't lose the mobility in games but still protect themselves in practice.

I would say that is old bunk! Not being nasty... But who's saying one can't train w/out a knee brace and only wear it when the game is on the line? To stop an injury from an unorthodox motion. Players train so much better and longer now... Games are only 3 hours a week. The knee can get stronger @ other times.

Obviously the problem with a PPE/device is movement and comfort... Why I brought up the cup thing. Race car drivers thought the same thing with head restraints till it too DE to die... Now it seems they all wear them. Of course it isn't so simple... But if the can get othe comfort trade off and adjust to the range of movement... The device gotta be saving a bunch of knees.

Whenever debates come up like this you always get the "traditional" crowd to agrue against anything new or different.