Hacketts scheme is a major issue!

Ok, I've waited three games to make my assessment, and I'm going to call this offense the "can't Hackett". NO imagination, three weeks of poor designed and VERY VERY VERY VERY predictable runs. I have yet to notice a screen of any kind

Gailey was pretty good.

Gailey's offensive short comings were players, hackett's is scheme...or lack there of.

I liked Gailey, but was swaying toward maybe it was all his fault.....now, I would take a swap of Cant Hackett and Chan.

BRING BACK CHAN AS OC,!!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,!,

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not pretend that this just became a problem. Our offense stunk versus the Pats, and it also stunk against the Panthers. Thank God Ron RIvera went prevent on that last drive or we would be 0-3. I really didn't watch much Syracuse ball, but if this is the extent of the playbook, we are in deep, deep trouble. Any SU fans want to pop in this thread and comment on his scheming there? Am I ever going to see a 2-back set again? Or a screen? Any type of misdirection? Play action? Watching Spiller get crushed trying to run between the tackles every 1st and 2nd down was like a recurring nightmare. The fact that we didn't get away from it in the 2nd half is equally as terrifying.

We played right into the teeth of Ryan's defense yesterday, that was suicide.

Let's not pretend that this just became a problem. Our offense stunk versus the Pats, and it also stunk against the Panthers. Thank God Ron RIvera went prevent on that last drive or we would be 0-3. I really didn't watch much Syracuse ball, but if this is the extent of the playbook, we are in deep, deep trouble. Any SU fans want to pop in this thread and comment on his scheming there? Am I ever going to see a 2-back set again? Or a screen? Any type of misdirection? Play action? Watching Spiller get crushed trying to run between the tackles every 1st and 2nd down was like a recurring nightmare. The fact that we didn't get away from it in the 2nd half is equally as terrifying.

i agree, I just didn't want to say it game one or two. But after last night....... Can't Hackett has gotta go. I can't see that offensive scheme getting more creative. Hackett seems to be not very bold, and my wife sitting on the couch reading a book could look up and know what play we were running.

I was hessitant when they announced that Hacket would be coming with Marrone as OC.

I was hoping for someone with NFL experience for our OC.

People say EJ looked like a deer in the headlights yesterday but based on the play calling I would have to say that it seems as if Hackett has had the "deer in the headlights" look ever since week 1 based on his conservative play calling.

CBF

EJ looks like he is in over his head TBH. Hackett wasn't the guy throwing out of bounds.

When EJ was picked, my emotions weren't all that different from how I felt after the Home Run Throwback or the Bills' Super Bowl losses. (I'd wanted Barkley.) Unlike many others here, I never jumped on EJ's bandwagon after he was picked. I also concur that he had a bad game yesterday; and that even his performances in the first two games was overrated.

All this being said, I do not feel Hackett can hack it. Look at the way he's utilizing Spiller, and compare that to what Gailey did last season. Hackett has created a simple, predictable, ill-conceived offense. Not all of that can be blamed on the fact that he's game planning for a rookie QB who'd never demonstrated the ability to handle complex offenses at the college level.

In three games with a bad OL and a struggling OC I laugh at everyone throwing EJ to the wind.

Great, you wanted Geno. Or Barkley. Or Skelton.

Barkley was too much of a risk. How many teams passed on him? What is he doing now? Would Geno be ant better behind this line? Hell no. He would be in over his head with DT's and running for his life. Skelton... won't even bother

If you watched Marrone's team at SU, you would realize he ran the hell out of the ball and threw tons of short passes to RB's and TE's. The bad news is that they were not the least bit explosive (hence why i was not a big fan of Nassib in the draft). The good news is that Syracuse games were often close contests win or lose. That's what we're seeing here. NE, Carolina and Jets games were all fairly close. You just have to win the 4th Qtr to win these games. Last year we wouldv'e been blown out yesterday 42-10...so i'll take the closer games. I don't see Hackett putting our offensive skills players in the best positions though. Seems like he is not using them effectively at all.

EJ looked like a rookie today, no surprise there. Horrible protection all day, major footwork issues. That last throw out of bounds was made off one foot at a horrible angle. No way to get an accurate throw like that. Just terrible pass pro, and no scheme at all by Hackett to make things easier for his rookie QB. Where does one start? All kinds of called runs on 1st down= 2nd and longs all day. Anyone should know the Jets run D will not give you any 1st down yardage. No screens to slow down the rush. No boots or play action. Hackett is pretty awful as a coordinator and his "rookieness" showed even more than EJ's to any seasoned football observer. You can't hide a rookie QB, but you don't play right into the teeth of the defense either. Hackett was absolutely schooled today.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I just kept saying to myself as EJ was running for his life, "where is the screen pass, run a f$%@ing screen pass!" You could tell that the offense wasn't in a rhythm and it starts when your QB is running for his life because the D is just coming with reckless abandon. They had no chance doing the things they were doing. Our offense still needs major work. Most of the receivers couldn't beat the press coverage, and when they did the QB threw it out of bounds. Without timing these west coast principles don't work.

No designing a scheme utilizing Spiller in space.

No bubble screens to speed receivers. No HB screens to Jackson or Spiller.

No use of rollouts and taking advantage of a mobile quarterback. No misdirection

No use of clock management before half-time.

What do you guys think?

Hackett is in way over his head.

One of the most irritating offensive performances i think i have ever watched. Hopefully we can chalk this up to EJ being a rookie...

i think we have to chalk this up to EJ's rookie status. Jets did a good job of applying pressure. I do think we have a decent chance against the ravens next week. We shall see.

I definitely do not want to see as many floaters to the sidelines like we have over the past couple weeks... i mean, unless it starts working. :)

Edited by markgbe

Hackett is going to ruin EJ and Spiller. If he stays, he'll also get Marrone fired.

We went from having Chan's solid offense and Wannstedt's awful defense to Pettine's somewhat decent defense and Hackett's pitiful offense.

Life as a Bills fan unfortunately.

How are you in way over your head when you don't utilize those types of plays? He could just, you know, start running them and then what? Is he no longer in over his head if he starts throwing bubble screens and having EJ roll out? It's the players not executing.

Of course execution is part of it. But if you can't see how badly Hackett got his hat handed to him I don't know what to tell you. Ryan put on a clinic and made our offensive gameplan look like something out of high school.

EJ looks like he is in over his head TBH. Hackett wasn't the guy throwing out of bounds.

So nothing the OP said is true? Ej had an off day with accuracy, this means nothing regarding the mental side and play calling. Hacket could make it so much easier for him, why is a fade his only outlet pass in the first place?