EJ Manuel's Tattoos?

johnwalter

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm not one of those Christians that hate on people for doing things that I don't believe in, so I'd like to start with that statement. But if you're a Catholic and you believe in the bible it doesn't really matter what you think as an individual you're supposed to try your best to please God with your life. On the surface it sounds nice to pay tribute to your family with a tattoo but if God says it's wrong then your wrong for doing it. Again this only applies to those that believe in the Bible. I don't think it's some kind of horrible thing that causes you to go to hell or anything crazy like that but in the matter of right or wrong, it's wrong according to God. I don't think my sister having a tattoo of my grandmothers name is actually doing anything to edify my grandmother, she's dead. I think my sister had real good intentions, but in reality she did it for herself. "I miss my Grandmother and I want everyone to see that on my arm". My grandmother left her legacy based on her actions while living, no tattoo is going to add to that.

Interesting take.

I don't want to hijack so I'll just respond with these rhetorical thoughts:

1) There is probably a difference (perhaps small) between getting a tattoo for a living relative as opposed to getting one for a person who is no longer on earth.

2) It's a tricky business divining what a person's motivations may be for getting a tattoo. . . that is, what is in one's heart.

Also I'm curious as to what religious scripture addresses tattoos?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting take.

1) There is probably a difference (perhaps small) between getting a tattoo for a living relative as opposed to getting one for a person who is no longer on earth.

2) It's a tricky business divining what a person's motivations may be for getting a tattoo. . . that is, what is in one's heart.

Quick Google search brings up a verse from Leviticus. Which is you know, a code of conduct for a couple of thousand years ago and says you can't cut your hair, eat shellfish, wear blended fabric, wear gold, and all sorts of other fun nonsense

Edited by JM57

Every game, EJ Manuel wears the same set of arm wraps covering his upper right arm and his upper and lower left arm. These sleeves perfectly cover his tattoos, which also cover his upper right arm, and his upper and lower left arm (see pictures) He also never wears short sleeves in press conferences, media events, etc. Does he wear the sleeves to hide his tattoos? I was just wondering if anyone knew the story here.

All sorts of reasons he could be wearing sleeves including compression sleeves, compression is the new elastic band I guess

Or he could be covering tattoos - perhaps he just wants to avoid comparisons to Colin Kaepernick "another tattooed black read option QB"

Interesting take.

Often times the bible doesn't address a specific matter by definition and that's when I personally find the bible the most interesting. Sometimes you have to understand what it says not to do to get to what you can do. Leviticus 19:28 says "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you; I am the Lord. Just like any debate about the bible there's context that has to be considered as this was a pagan issue and some would say some of those pagan rituals were later addressed in a different way. So basically you have to work out what the bible means between you and God and no one else. That's why for me the bible becomes more than a book for everyone to a book for me personally. I try not to question what other people's intents are or matters of their heart. Should someone get a tattoo? I don't know for sure. But I'd encourage someone to ask themselves if their doing it to for God or to draw attention to themselves.

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm not one of those Christians that hate on people for doing things that I don't believe in, so I'd like to start with that statement. But if you're a Catholic and you believe in the bible it doesn't really matter what you think as an individual you're supposed to try your best to please God with your life. On the surface it sounds nice to pay tribute to your family with a tattoo but if God says it's wrong then your wrong for doing it. Again this only applies to those that believe in the Bible. I don't think it's some kind of horrible thing that causes you to go to hell or anything crazy like that but in the matter of right or wrong, it's wrong according to God. I don't think my sister having a tattoo of my grandmothers name is actually doing anything to edify my grandmother, she's dead. I think my sister had real good intentions, but in reality she did it for herself. "I miss my Grandmother and I want everyone to see that on my arm". My grandmother left her legacy based on her actions while living, no tattoo is going to add to that.

Do you really want to get into a discussion of all the ridiculous things the Bible forbids or condones?

I have a full sleeve. From the top of my shoulder, to my wrist. Earth, wind, water and fire. I have had this conversation with many people. And it always ends with if you don't like them, you judge people by them. I always end the discussion with their thoughts of me.....than it comes. Always "you're an exception". It's kinda a cop out. I think its a generational disconnect. For me its a form of exp<b></b>ression. I live in the south now, but have lived in CT,CA,TX,OR and NC. I have never actually had job issues due to my tattos.

Edited by JaxBills

Do you really want to get into a discussion of all the ridiculous things the Bible forbids or condones?

Not really, but I'd change the word ridiculous in your sentence to challenging. It's not easy being a Christian trying to figure out all that God would have us do. It can be frustrating and difficult, but usually the answers come often later than sooner. The alternative is relying on my own mind and thoughts for my compass through life. Heck I can't even remember someone's name I just met. I'm certainly not going through life thinking the collection of my experiences and thoughts make me right. I'm way to imperfect to rely on myself in that regard.

The extra wind resistance from the tattoos slightly slows down the velocity of his throws.....and him wanting to give 100% for the team.....he covers them up with armbands to avoid said wind resistance.

It could be due to copyright issues. Some Tattoo artists have gone insane and believe that if the NFL/Video Games/TV shows a tattoo design that they have a copyright over that they should be paid. Their suits are unlikely to win, but these type of bogus suits have a chilling effect. Currently, Keapernick's tattoo artists and some UFC fighter's tattoo artist are suing over their tattoo's being shown.

Edited by jeremy2020

It could be due to copyright issues. Some Tattoo artists have gone insane and believe that if the NFL/Video Games/TV shows a tattoo design that have a copyright over that they should be paid. Their suits are unlikely to win, but these type of bogus suits have a chilling effect. Currently, Keapernicks' tattoo artists and some UFC fighter's tattoo artist are suing over their tattoo's being shown.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious!

It could be due to copyright issues. Some Tattoo artists have gone insane and believe that if the NFL/Video Games/TV shows a tattoo design that they have a copyright over that they should be paid. Their suits are unlikely to win, but these type of bogus suits have a chilling effect. Currently, Keapernick's tattoo artists and some UFC fighter's tattoo artist are suing over their tattoo's being shown.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious!

I can chuckle about it but it's also pathetic.

Such legal frivolity.

Often times the bible doesn't address a specific matter by definition and that's when I personally find the bible the most interesting. Sometimes you have to understand what it says not to do to get to what you can do. Leviticus 19:28 says "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you; I am the Lord. Just like any debate about the bible there's context that has to be considered as this was a pagan issue and some would say some of those pagan rituals were later addressed in a different way. So basically you have to work out what the bible means between you and God and no one else. That's why for me the bible becomes more than a book for everyone to a book for me personally. I try not to question what other people's intents are or matters of their heart. Should someone get a tattoo? I don't know for sure. But I'd encourage someone to ask themselves if their doing it to for God or to draw attention to themselves.

As a Christian, certainly you know you are not required to adhere to the Jewish Law in Leviticus, don't you?

I mean, you must know that Jesus' teachings, and His very existence, entered us into a New Covenant with God, right?

But don't take my word for it, read Mathew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Ephesians, and then this: http://www.christianbiblereference.org/faq_OldTestamentLaw.htm

As for EJ's tats, I think he covers them up to reflect a more professional image. He certainly has no gang affiliations, of that I am sure. If I had to guess, covering them was advice he got from his mom and/or dad...

shouldn't the athletes then launch a countersuit which indicates that the artists should be paying them for advertising?