The most impressive thing to me so far (its still early but)

Hplarrm

is that he is demonstrating special ability (compared to other young QBs I have seen over the years or even so far by Geno Smith so far this year) to recognize defenses and how plays are developing. An interesting raw # to me is that Manuel has only suffered 1 sack in two games so far while QBs like Smith have suffered far more. Perhaps this is because the Bills OL is that much better than the Jets or others (the fact we have done pretty well rushing the ball points toward the blocking being generally solid). However, my sense is that while our young OB has been adequate or better, another factor in the low sack # is that Manuel is doing a substantively good job at recognizing where the D is rushing from, analyzing the match-up between the opponents' rushers and the Bills assigned to protect and shown fairly good pocket sense (one of the bad fumbles against the Panthers though was on Manuel for failing too sense the passrush was not gonna sack him but was close enough he needed to protect the ball better and he did not. This mistake however strikes me as the exception to him looking good at directing the offense. Another good sign I have seen has been a few almost ridiculously easy TDs. The final throw to SJ for a TD last week came after a blown coverage by the Panthers and the usually great route running by SJ left him virtually alone in the endzone. In the first game Mauel lofted an easy strike to Woods for a TD. Yep, the Bills made it look easy (for example compared to a great loft of a throw for a TD to SJ last week which showed extraordinart\y timing between these two players and great touch in making the throw. Yet, it is just these types of "easy" throws that Bills QBs of the recent past (post Jimbo) the team often seemed to blow with lousy play calls, lousy QB throws, poor fight for catches et al. Manuel has a long way to go before anyone credibly dubs him good to go (or even a consistent winner as one win does not even adequacy make). However, one does not have to look very far to be very impressed with Manuel after two games and a mere one win (in fact I much prefer and give credit to posters who overclaim greatness from this rookie over the poor analysis shown so far by some on the board who sre not impressed by Manuel so far. He is no where near great yet and arguably not even considered adequate at QB until he actually accomplishes something like leading the team to the playoffs, however, so far so good and in the real world his play so far has been very impressive admitted warts and all!

As far as I'm concerned, what impresses me about Manuel is: considering he's a rookie, he's played very coolly, calmly, the pressure doesn't appear to get to him. That bodes well for us in future big games. Also, he arm talent looks ELITE. He makes throws that Fitz simply COULD NOT MAKE look EFFORTLESS. He also hits his WR's in stride on those 20 yard passes - something guys like Rodgers do well, and something that enables a team to overcome the 2nd and 15 type penalty situations that often kill drives. I also like his pass first mentality, considering he's such a capable runner. I'm smiling ear to ear thinking how good this offense is going to be in ten games, or next year. I think EJ could work on handing the ball off some - his hand offs aren't always pretty. Also, he'll improve on making reads, but I think we have a QB with all the talent necessary to take us to a Championship - FINALLY! I was hoping he'd look a bit like Cam Newton - as I think Newton is a top 5 NFL talent at QB - and so far I'm very impressed. This offense, when it clicks, is going to be fun to watch. Look out for the Bills if we make it to the playoffs, as by then we'll be one of the most balanced teams in the NFL.

I don't put the sack/fumble on him. Summers was destroyed and Manuel had barely any time to do anything.

However EJ was holding the ball way too low, a bad habit that he's had since college.

Had he been holding the ball properly it's quite possible that he wouldn't have had it stripped.

However EJ was holding the ball way too low, a bad habit that he's had since college.

Had he been holding the ball properly it's quite possible that he wouldn't have had it stripped.

Somebody, and you guys know who you are, should post some stats on low ball holders.

The most impressive thing to me so far is... The Defense and their ability to put pressure on the QB. Brady and Newton were constantly under pressure. Keep it up D! I also must give credit where it is due and admit that I have been wrong so far, Leodis McKelvin is doing a fine job at CB and I have unfairly bashed him here up until tonight.

Also D impressive was that they held the Panthers to "mere" FGs after the Panthers O got the ball deep in Bills territory. Manuel and the O get deserved credit for putting up the winning drive, but IMHO the game winning drives were the D holding the Panthers to FGs.

The most impressive thing to me so far is... The Defense and their ability to put pressure on the QB. Brady and Newton were constantly under pressure. Keep it up D! I also must give credit where it is due and admit that I have been wrong so far, Leodis McKelvin is doing a fine job at CB and I have unfairly bashed him here up until tonight.

I read one chris brown's blog post, that on some plays EJ only reads 1/2 the field and this is why Garhem was open but he didn't see/ throw to him (a few times). He is doing great but it is his rookie year, I am encouraged and not quite sold yet. With that said GO EJ, GO BILLS!

BTW whoever said EJ's hand offs look a bit off still is right, hope they get that worked out before it causes a TO.

Edited by bowery4

Lets see how fans react when EJ actually has a BAD game......when the defense doesn't play well....

Those things are gonna happen this year.....right now we are picking the **** out of the few BAD plays EJ has had....when other rookie qbs would be throwing multiple picks a game and cracking under the pressure.....

The reason why EJ isn't taking sacks is because he still has training wheels on and isn't holding onto the ball......I expect him to take some when he starts waiting for plays to develop downfield

As far as I'm concerned, what impresses me about Manuel is: considering he's a rookie, he's played very coolly, calmly, the pressure doesn't appear to get to him. That bodes well for us in future big games. Also, he arm talent looks ELITE. He makes throws that Fitz simply COULD NOT MAKE look EFFORTLESS. He also hits his WR's in stride on those 20 yard passes - something guys like Rodgers do well, and something that enables a team to overcome the 2nd and 15 type penalty situations that often kill drives. I also like his pass first mentality, considering he's such a capable runner. I'm smiling ear to ear thinking how good this offense is going to be in ten games, or next year. I think EJ could work on handing the ball off some - his hand offs aren't always pretty. Also, he'll improve on making reads, but I think we have a QB with all the talent necessary to take us to a Championship - FINALLY! I was hoping he'd look a bit like Cam Newton - as I think Newton is a top 5 NFL talent at QB - and so far I'm very impressed. This offense, when it clicks, is going to be fun to watch. Look out for the Bills if we make it to the playoffs, as by then we'll be one of the most balanced teams in the NFL.