Jimi Hendrix died 43 years ago today

The Poojer

I'm with you...get past John Mayer's poppy 'radio friendly' stuff and he is one of the better ones out there.

I'm the biggest SRV fan I know. He is #2 on my "best ever" list. I agree he had his own style and his own sound. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, believe me. But saying SRV played a lot like Hendrix is 100% accurate.

Agree that most of his music is terrible and acknowledged that it's bubblegum... But watch this entire video. He doesn't suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVpGu5-nFJg

can you imagine what kind of music he would have made had he lived??? Guess we will just have to settle with what he left us to enjoy

http://youtu.be/1_3pwu7RmOQ

I don't want to pick on any one person; I personally know plenty that do this. I will never understand bringing up the anniversary of someone's death. If anyone has an explanation, I would be interested in hearing it.

but i think it is on track, we are talking about those who have taken the torch from Jimi, SRV definitely, John Mayer also has it but just doesn't always display it...look at pearl jams yellow ledbetter, there's more Hendrix influence, someone mentioned Prince...I guess we kind of do know what Jimi would be like today...his music has manifested itself in these and so many others. Personally I think Jimi would have 'disappeared' in the blues joints of chicago and mississippi and just played whatever the f*** he felt like playing.

Good call (getting it back to Jimi). And great tune.

because it is someone we lost way to early and we missed out(potentially) on years of more great music, books, television, movies, scientific discoveries etc...just a way to commemorate the passing of someone that brought something that some of us value or enjoyed or both...not really that difficult to figure out.

I don't want to pick on any one person; I personally know plenty that do this. I will never understand bringing up the anniversary of someone's death. If anyone has an explanation, I would be interested in hearing it.

Personally I think Jimi would have 'disappeared' in the blues joints of chicago and mississippi and just played whatever the f*** he felt like playing.

This is always what I've hoped would have happened.

It just amazes me that this 27-year-old has been gone for 43 years and still remains relevant.

You can't say that about Eddie Van Halen, and he's still alive. And in the late 70s/early 80s, eight out of 10 people would have said EVH was the best ever.

I think it's just another way to remember someone, as well as recognize when they left us. Jimi Hendrix's death date has always stuck with me; as has John Bonham's (a week from today). None more than John Lennon for me, personally, though.

I remember the day my grandmother died, yet I have no idea when her birthday was. Not sure what that means, other than dates of death of those near and dear to people tend to mean something.

but i think it is on track, we are talking about those who have taken the torch from Jimi, SRV definitely, John Mayer also has it but just doesn't always display it...look at pearl jams yellow ledbetter, there's more Hendrix influence, someone mentioned Prince...I guess we kind of do know what Jimi would be like today...his music has manifested itself in these and so many others. Personally I think Jimi would have 'disappeared' in the blues joints of chicago and mississippi and just played whatever the f*** he felt like playing.

because it is someone we lost way to early and we missed out(potentially) on years of more great music, books, television, movies, scientific discoveries etc...just a way to commemorate the passing of someone that brought something that some of us value or enjoyed or both...not really that difficult to figure out.

Oh, ok. Well, Happy Jimi Hendrix Death day everyone!

You mean like Easter?

I'm the biggest SRV fan I know. He is #2 on my "best ever" list. I agree he had his own style and his own sound. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, believe me. But saying SRV played a lot like Hendrix is 100% accurate.

Agree that most of his music is terrible and acknowledged that it's bubblegum... But watch this entire video. He doesn't suck.

As a guitar player, no. As a musician, he commits one of the biggest crimes against music IMO, which is to play from a playbook instead of the heart.

While we're on the topic of the blues and Jimi, who is everyone's favorite influence on Jimi? In a minimal way, I think of Mississippi Fred McDowell as one of them.

As a guitar player, no. As a musician, he commits one of the biggest crimes against music IMO, which is to play from a playbook instead of the heart.

While we're on the topic of the blues and Jimi, who is everyone's favorite influence on Jimi? In a minimal way, I think of Mississippi Fred McDowell as one of them.

Mississippi Fred McDowell is one of my favorites. I dig the blues, especially the old stuff. Little Walter, Son House, Skip James..

Orange sunshine. Oh you said who, not what.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim Morrison also died at age 27. Just watched "The Doors" the other night with Val Kilmer.

What is a real time-slap for me is that my youngest daughter is 27! Where did the decades go?

Brought in electric lady land into school when i was grade school. Man what a picture of the guys

In 9th grade, I wrote an essay in English poetry, and used "Up From the Skies" from "Axis: Bold as Love".