Da'Norris Searcy

JustinMychal

In two games Searcy has been in on 16 tackles, 1 sack, and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Not to mention he's an "in the box" run support safety play on a defense in which the run D has been a major weak spot. All of this paired with McKelvin stepping up huge and a front seven that seem to be on a historic war path (ie. Mario week 2), in addition to Stephon Gilmore on the upbeat for a speedy return. Does anyone care about J. Byrd and his tingling feet? Searcy gives us in run support just as much as Byrd would give us in the pass. I am not oblivious to the fact that Byrd is the superior of the 2, but Byrd isn't going to get the money he wants from the Bills so why not turn the page now.

And yes I've heard that there was no request of

trade by the Byrd camp but I'm not buying it

Opinions??????????????

Byrd's a lot better. You need to defend the pass today. But, Searcy has played surprisingly well thus far.

I'm all for trading Byrd now for anything, though. The signs he's sending are that he's clearly not interested in re-signing. Might as well get something since this Bills team is unlikely to make the playoffs.

A more apt comparison would be Aaron Williams to Jairus Byrd. Or rather the question, is Aaron Williams an adequate substitute for Byrd? I don't know the answer to that. Obviously Byrd is much better all around, and I think the ideal situation would be Byrd and AW in the backfield and Searcy in the box.

Searcy has played a lot better than I expected, but as the OP mentioned, his strength is downhill against the run. Searcy's role is more akin to Scott's last year as the LB/SS hybrid in the box. Except Scott was better vs the pass than the run.

What we've seen a lot of so far is Leonhard playing what I would assume is Byrd's role, with AW playing the other safety role (FS and SS has seemingly become interchangeable in Pettine's pass defense packages), and Searcy playing a more aggressive in the box position. Then again, we've also seen a lot of basically the entire defense in a wide variety of roles.

So, to answer the OP's question, yes, I do care about Byrd and I think he'll play well when he comes back. I could be wrong but I don't really expect him to sit out the entire season. In a "what have you done for me lately?" league, he's gonna have to play a good chunk of the season to maximize his value by the end of the season.

What would make me a lot more confident about the defense going forward without Byrd would be Duke Williams making some plays and getting pt over Leonhard. So far Duke hasn't done much to establish himself.

If it turns out that Duke can play, I won't be so worried about the back end. Aaron Williams looks like he'll be alright, and I think Searcy isn't as much of a liability as long as he's attacking the ball and not dropping back in coverage.

Searcy drove me mad in preseason, but they seem to have not used him in that same role. He looks a lot better attacking the line of scrimmage. When Bryd comes back it will be interesting to see him on the field with Searcy (SS,LB), and A Williams (SS,CB). If Bryd can play center field, it could help disguise coverages in Nickel, and Dime.

Edited by JaxBills

Searcy drove me mad in preseason, but they seem to have not used him in that same role. He looks a lot better attacking the line of scrimmage. When Bryd comes back it will be interesting to see him on the field with Searcy (SS,LB), and A Williams (SS,CB). If Bryd can play center field, it could help disguise coverages in Nickel, and Dime.

this.

This defense will be absolutely NASTY when Byrd and Gilmore come back. IF... They both come back.

Searcy seems to be a player that brings it on Sunday when its gametime...

I guess the gist of my post is to say we clearly aren't coming out of each game saying "we would have blew them out if Byrd was on the back end" Leonard is a good fill in but when when duke Williams gets the nod its all systems go......have you seen the kids highlight tape ?

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=duke%20Williams%20&oq=&gs_l=

Searcy was left for dead prior to the start of the season. In fact some thought he would be cut. I think he has been a very good player thus far...very opportune......which is a sign of being in the right place at the right time. Aar. Williams has been even better. He is really starting to turn some heads with some nice plays and big hits. He's obviously better suited to playing safety. I'm extremely disappointed in Byrd. He's simply playing chicken with the Bills' front office. It's obvious that he's majorly pissed and won't play unless he gets what he wants. Just think how good our defense would be with Gilmore and Byrd on the field full time.

Amazing how well the secondary has played without Byrd, Gilmore, and Brooks. Searcy-- who looked like a preseason cut-- has been solid.

I would suspect the aggressive pass rush has a lot to do with the unexpected early season success of the secondary. Which gives us hope that it could be even better with Gilmore and Byrd, etc.