A Question about the Squib Kick at the End of the Game

ChevyVanMiller

I apologize if this has been covered already, but I was at the game and couldn't believe that the Panthers could field the squib kick before 2 seconds expired. It appeared that the fielding player got the ball and immediately took a knee in the field of play (I had no idea you could do that).

I thought that the play could only be blown dead once a Bills' player touched him down.

The result was that Carolina had a shot from a point on the field where their QB could reach the endzone. (Thankfully, Kiko ended that threat with a huge sack). So, I assume that means that in a similar situation teams should not squib.

Also, the Bills ST coach should have known about this rule, don't you think?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if this has been covered already, but I was at the game and couldn't believe that the Panthers could field the squib kick before 2 seconds expired. It appeared that the fielding player got the ball and immediately took a knee in the field of play (I had no idea you could do that).

I thought that the play could only be blown dead once a Bills' player touched him down.

The result was that Carolina had a shot from a point on the field where their QB could reach the endzone. (Thankfully, Kiko ended that threat with a huge sack). So, I assume that means that in a similar situation teams should not squib.

Yeah, confused the **** out of me, too.

I thought that was the whole !@#$ing point of a squib kick...

I've seen it done before, not alot, but some. How do you know he didn't know the rule? They may have still been willing to take a chance on one last play, though admittedly I would have rather seen more of a pooch kick over the first line of players, so if the ball were downed, would be too far for a hale Mary to reach the endzone.

Section 3 Starting the Game Clock

Free Kick Down

Article 1 The game clock operator shall start the game clock (time in) after a free kick when the ball is legally touched in the

field of play. The game clock shall not start if:

(a) the receiving team recovers the ball in the end zone and does not carry the ball into the field of

play;

(b) the kicking team recovers the ball in the field of play; or

© the receiving team signals for and makes a fair catch.

A.R. 4.1 a) With three seconds remaining in the second quarter, A1 attempts an onside kick from the A35. The kick is caught

or recovered legally at the A46: a) by A2, b) by B1 who signals for and completes a fair catch, c) by B1 on his feet and he

immediately goes to the ground, or d) by B1 on the ground and he makes no effort to get up or advance.

Rulings:

a) A’s ball, first-and-10 on A46. Three seconds on the clock. (No time runs off the clock).

b) B’s ball, first-and-10 on A46. Three seconds on the clock. (No time runs off the clock).

c) B’s ball, first-and-10 on A46. Two seconds on the clock. (One second runs off the clock).

d) B’s ball, first-and-10 on A46. Two seconds on the clock. (One second runs off the clock).

A.R. 4.2 b) During the last two minutes of the game the offensive team safety kicks from the A20.

Ruling: Time in starts when the safety kick is legally touched by any player in the field of play.

Note: No extension of the automatic timeouts in this section shall be allowed unless any player requests a team timeout, or a

Referee orders a team timeout or suspends play himself

So is that rule in effect? I thought you can only take a knee in the endzone. As far as I know, on a kickoff, if you have the ball and you have no opposing team player contact you, the ball is live and you can drop and roll over on the floor if you like but the clock should still be ticking as the play is still "live"...

I know you can't do that in madden unless you call a fair catch.

I've seen it done before, not alot, but some. How do you know he didn't know the rule? They may have still been willing to take a chance on one last play, though admittedly I would have rather seen more of a pooch kick over the first line of players, so if the ball were downed, would be too far for a hale Mary to reach the endzone.

I say he didn't know the rule because of what you just said. A pooch over the first line would have eliminated the threat of a hail mary.

I say he didn't know the rule because of what you just said. A pooch over the first line would have eliminated the threat of a hail mary.

It might have been a poorly kicked ball.

But if I'm reading the rule right, it would have been impossible to expire the clock with only 2 seconds remaining...

If a player gives himself up the play is over. But...that kick should have been a lot deeper.

So is that rule in effect? I thought you can only take a knee in the endzone. As far as I know, on a kickoff, if you have the ball and you have no opposing team player contact you, the ball is live and you can drop and roll over on the floor if you like but the clock should still be ticking as the play is still "live"...

I know you can't do that in madden unless you call a fair catch.

You can surrender yourself wherever- think a qb kneel as another example