McKelvin Island?

Dr. K

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was really physical with Smith yesterday - they were going at each other pretty good. My favorite play actually was one where Smith got behind him down the Bills sideline. Leodis never even saw the ball but saw Smith start making a catching motion and had the reaction speed to hit his hands just as the ball arrived.

Now that I think about it, was this the play where we got flagged for the late hit OOB?

Leodis came out of college born to play press man. Unfortunately none of the defensive coordinators seemed to understand this until Pettine came to town. His weakness is playing defense in space. Problem solved with a competent DC.

This. He's an incredible athlete usually one of the best on the field. Maybe it's still early and he's yet to be exposed, but he was in smiths hip pocket all day and looked very good.

Yesterday was a day full of seeing talented d players live up to their potential. MD99, Mario, Kiko, and McK looked top shelf. That's a lot of first round draft pick material playing the part.

I know it's premature, after just two games, but could Leodis finally be living up to expectations?

He's been playing great. I don't know if it's the new DC's, but one thing I have noticed is that he is thinking knock down the ball first. The past few seasons, it was all about getting the interception. There were several long passes against him where he would go up with 2 hands and try to catch it, the WR would just out muscle him for the ball. Those passes could have easily been batted or tipped away, but he went for the pick every time. It would drive me nuts. This season, he is just knocking the ball down. And he's been excellent at it! He could turn out to be a really good corner with this philosophy. If he continues with this level of play, when Gilmore returns, the Bills will be rock solid at corner...

We must have a new DB coach.Someone that taught McKelvin some ball skills.Also, A. Williams is playing well at SS, that #37 is playing really well. I like what I am seeing from our D!!!

On John Murphy's show this morning, Leodis actually mentioned Donnie Henderson coaching him up to get his head around to play the ball. Something the previous coaching staffs did not do with him. Two games in, It's definitely a noticeable difference from previous years.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I have to give some extra credit here to the coaching staff. Personally, I thought the secondary was going to be a mess without Gilmore, Byrd, and Brooks. Prior to the start of the season, I (like many) had no faith that McKelvin was going to be any good or live up to any of the expectations that we had for him coming out of school. Guess what? I was dead wrong. He looks at this point like a legitimate #1 or #1A cornerback.

I have to give some extra credit here to the coaching staff. Personally, I thought the secondary was going to be a mess without Gilmore, Byrd, and Brooks. Prior to the start of the season, I (like many) had no faith that McKelvin was going to be any good or live up to any of the expectations that we had for him coming out of school. Guess what? I was dead wrong. He looks at this point like a legitimate #1 or #1A cornerback.

9/16 Leodis McKelvin on with John Murphy