Just re-watched the bills pats game on NFL game rewind....

Wazzu Bill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the vision and patience of LeSean McCoy on Monday Night, I am even less thrilled with Spiller. This has been the case with Spiller his entire career, but he can't break tackles, not even arm tackles. McCoy looked worlds better. Darned.

And whether it was Freddie, or how the Pats played our Offense when we switched up backs, it was obvious Freddie was producing better. Gotta go with the hot hand, Spiller had a bad day and Freddie a good one, go with Freddie. That is on the coaching staff.

When it fits an agenda?

Or when virtually every post by the poster is inaccurate?

Of course he lives about 290 miles from Buffalo which makes him more disconsolate over losses than Bills fans who either live farther away or closer than he does.

There was a play in which EJ locked onto a receiver to draw the coverage toward the receiver. It was a bluff. He smoothly transitioned to put himself in position to throw to the other side. You can't teach that. The play was replayed on TV and the analyst made reference to it. That was the type of subtle eye fake that a veteran makes, not a rookie.

There was another play in which the defense was collapsing on him. He reacted by rolling away from the pressure and completing the pass. There was no jittery feet or frantic responses by him when he was under duress. The level of poise was uncanny for someone who didn't even play much in preseason.

There was another play in which EJ flicked the ball over a safety towards Chandler who had a CB behind him. He slightly over threw the pass. It would have gone for a big gain. What was remarkable was the ease with which he threw the pass and the impeccable touch. Another trait that belies his inexperience is that he is not afraid to throw to a spot before the receiver makes his move. Most young qbs are hesitant to make that anticipatory throw.

Regardless of the score the play of the young qb was encouraging. I came away from that game having more positive feelings than I have had for a long time. You don't have to be too knowledgeable about football to recognize a qb with talent compared to what preceeded him at the position.

It's like I've mentioned before. He is a natural athlete and is smooth in everything he does. Besides this, his height, length, large hands, and natural talent make his short game deadly. It's like James Worthy making an entry pass to Kareem. He can virtually make any throw of less than 20 yards effortlessly.

I was unhappy and surprised by his lack of long accuracy though. EJ needs to work on that.

This week against the Panthers I would like to see EJ use his legs a bit more too loosen up the defense. He can buy time to burn Carolinas secondary.

I wouldn't mind seeing him extending plays to throw but I really prefer that he not become a running quarterback.

As for the game itself I thought the Bills generally played really well.

As I've said ad infinitum, over the last 10 years the average margin in an NFL game is less than 6 points.

As Jim Leon-Hard said, "we played well enough to win and bad enough to lose."

The Bills did many things well and many of those things will be dismissed or discounted simply because they lost.

Unlike recent close losses to good teams and other moral victories, at least this loss was suffered by the 3rd youngest team in the NFL.

As I was saying at the tailgate after the loss, I'm sick of moral victories but there were many encouraging signs in this game.

I like the NFL rewind too. I noticed Vince Wilfork eat up Colin Brown. The counter to his side was blown up almost every time it was run. I watched several times CJ getting hit behind the line. This weak link will plague them all season. It is maddening to watch the game again and see the mistakes that are mental or technique errors. You would think after OTAs and training camp that these would not crop up. The Bills will spend this week cleaning up this or Carolina will have an easy time Sunday.

especially given the fact that colin brown is a massive 6 foot 7 inch 330 pound dude with long arms.

i know WIlfork is probably the hardest guy in the NFL to move, but he went up against other guys as well and got handled. Nix used to talk about how the 6 foot 1, 310 lb guards can sometimes get more leverage and be far more effective than the longer bigger heavier bodies.

There was another play in which EJ flicked the ball over a safety towards Chandler who had a CB behind him. He slightly over threw the pass. It would have gone for a big gain. What was remarkable was the ease with which he threw the pass and the impeccable touch. Another trait that belies his inexperience is that he is not afraid to throw to a spot before the receiver makes his move. Most young qbs are hesitant to make that anticipatory throw.

Regardless of the score the play of the young qb was encouraging. I came away from that game having more positive feelings than I have had for a long time. You don't have to be too knowledgeable about football to recognize a qb with talent compared to what preceeded him at the position.

If the pass to Chandler you're talking about is the one in the first half, I partially agree with you. I think it should have been caught because he got both hands on it, but the pass itself was a "wounded duck", and that may have contributed to the drop. I am in full agreement with your 2nd paragraph above though...hopefully, he will just get better & better.

The TD throw to Stevie was an absolute thing of beauty, and a great catch by SJ as well. EJ didn't even take a step - just flicked it to him. It was too fast for the D to defend and right on the money.

Agree 100%...the "touch" on the pass was absolutely perfect....dropped right in over the shoulder. and they had pretty good coverage too.

I picked up the game rewind too - love the A22, amazing how you can really see what's going on (and, yes, those holes that CJ missed)!

Question though, is the coaches film only available for a few plays in Q1? 'Cause that's all I'm seeing...

After watching the vision and patience of LeSean McCoy on Monday Night, I am even less thrilled with Spiller. This has been the case with Spiller his entire career, but he can't break tackles, not even arm tackles. McCoy looked worlds better. Darned.

And whether it was Freddie, or how the Pats played our Offense when we switched up backs, it was obvious Freddie was producing better. Gotta go with the hot hand, Spiller had a bad day and Freddie a good one, go with Freddie. That is on the coaching staff.

I believe CJ was either 2nd or 3rd in yards after contact last season. It helps to know what you're talking about before you post.

Everyone at the game knew penalties were the issue. We were flipping out about them. especially the missed holding calls on the pats.

running out of shotgun with spiller is just bad, put him in a one back set and let him got to work. very predictable offense.

Edited by buffalover4life

Who remembers Spiller saying last year that he needed to learn to slow down, be patient and find his holes? In my estimation, he just needs to re-learn that lesson this year and he'll be fine. On Sunday he was almost TOO quick to the hole and just wasn't trusting the OL enough.

And he has already come out and said the same thing. He mentioned that he made the same mistakes that he did in his rookie season. He also mentioned that he needed to trust his OL and be patient and hit the holes.

And he has already come out and said the same thing. He mentioned that he made the same mistakes that he did in his rookie season. He also mentioned that he needed to trust his OL and be patient and hit the holes.

i think this means alot.

Spiller is both not trusting of his OL and too fast for his own good. He just needs to settle down and not rush up to the line only to stutter step until a hole opens up.

That's the difference between him and Freddy. FJ is slower to the line and more aware of his blocking schemes and has more faith in waiting for something to open IMO.

When CJ becomes more comfortable with his line as the season goes on, he will get better with each game.

i think this means alot.

Spiller is both not trusting of his OL and too fast for his own good. He just needs to settle down and not rush up to the line only to stutter step until a hole opens up.

That's the difference between him and Freddy. FJ is slower to the line and more aware of his blocking schemes and has more faith in waiting for something to open IMO.

When CJ becomes more comfortable with his line as the season goes on, he will get better with each game.

Totally agree, and I was very assured to read his comments yesterday. The guy has just returned from attending to family business following his grandfather's suicidal rampage (not even hyperbole). If Graham's feature piece is accurate (and while I hate the guy, I have no reason to believe it's not), CJ probably came back to Buffalo with a full head of steam, with something to prove and thus he reverted back to rookie form, out running his blockers, not seeing the lanes, trying to bounce it out and run faster than everyone.

I am finally asking...

How long does it take to watch these games on rewind?

Can I switch in game to different views?

Would it be worthwhile to watch it and break down the plays a little?

I realize there is a free preview going on but have yet to try it. I have a busy week coming as hay is ready to cut but may try it this weekend.

They condense the game down to fit in a 90-min time slot, and part of that 90 mins. is commercials. And they leave out some plays too. There's no switching to different views.

I just got it and the app on my tablet.

Watched the first qtr twice. Coaches view.

Alonso looked rough around the edges but I liked what I saw

I wish moats had more talent because he plays very well

Dareus had a good first qtr. Got killed on the long run.

Ej did well on read option plays. Made a good one on the pass to chandler

CJ spiller lost us the game, I can say that having been there and just seeing the first qtr. The guy sucked. And I hate saying that.

Spiller sucks, let's trade him. Maybe we can package him with Byrd and get a right guard? Think there would be any takers?

Or maybe we can give the guy the benefit of a doubt after one game, that had a bunch of unusual circumstances (just back from a multiple murder in the family, playing a new, "progressive" offensive system, with new linemen, coach, and rookie QB, against a perennial division bully that has placed stopping him as their top priority). If stopping Spiller continues to be other teams priority, the coaches better figure out how to exploit that better.

Spiller might end up having a bad season, but I'm not ready to swap him for McCoy after one week.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I just got it and the app on my tablet.

Watched the first qtr twice. Coaches view.

Alonso looked rough around the edges but I liked what I saw

I wish moats had more talent because he plays very well

Dareus had a good first qtr. Got killed on the long run.

Ej did well on read option plays. Made a good one on the pass to chandler

CJ spiller lost us the game, I can say that having been there and just seeing the first qtr. The guy sucked. And I hate saying that.

I have to respectfully disagree. Stupid & untimely penalties, drops, turnovers, and sloppy tackling in the 4th quarter, combined with a few exceptional catches by Danny Amendola, are what made the difference.

Putting this one squarely on the shoulders of CJ is misguided IMO. He absolutely contributed to the losing effort; that I can agree with.