CJ Spiller......official count up to 2,000 rushing yards thread

BADOLBILZ

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Freddy Jackson, but Spiller is far more talented. This offensive scheme seems entirely backassward, though -- pounding him up the middle on 1st and 2nd down. That's obviously not a recipe for success. I simply don't get it. It's too bad that Gailey didn't remain OC, although I realize that that couldn't happen. As for Hackett, it appears that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by dave mcbride

The main issue with Spiller's usage isn't the play calling, it's the formation. Chan would frequently have 4 and 5 WR sets and spread the defense out. This formation would get the D in a nickle or dime package and give Spiller the room to run between the tackles he needed.

Hacket isn't doing that in large part because he has a rookie QB back there who he's trying to protect and make it easy for. Giving him 5-6 targets with less protection and telling him to make quick decisions isn't his forte yet. So Spiller is either going to have to learn to be a complete RB and find room when the D isn't in a nickel or dime or he's going to have to spend more time on the bench while Freddie gets more carries until EJ figures it out.

The main issue with Spiller's usage isn't the play calling, it's the formation. Chan would frequently have 4 and 5 WR sets and spread the defense out. This formation would get the D in a nickle or dime package and give Spiller the room to run between the tackles he needed.

Hacket isn't doing that in large part because he has a rookie QB back there who he's trying to protect and make it easy for. Giving him 5-6 targets with less protection and telling him to make quick decisions isn't his forte yet. So Spiller is either going to have to learn to be a complete RB and find room when the D isn't in a nickel or dime or he's going to have to spend more time on the bench while Freddie gets more carries until EJ figures it out.

You're right and it's why fans can't run a team. Last year, people complained about the Bills not running enough. Now they are running a ton, and fans are still complaining.

Gailey is a very good offensive mind. for whatever reason, he tried to get by with very average talent at QB. But he maximized a lot of player's talents. This is on the job training for the new coaches. The key to being a good coach is not to be too stubborn, learn from your mistakes, and adjust. Hopefully, they will.

#1- freddy is still a better all around RB

#2- the moment you shipped off Levitre, spiller was doomed. it was levitre who was mobile enough to get out in front of CJ's money screens.

Brown's mobile enough to get out in front of CJ. I've seen him downfield in front of CJ plenty of times, usually not blocking the defender that tackles CJ and forces the fumble.

You're right and it's why fans can't run a team. Last year, people complained about the Bills not running enough. Now they are running a ton, and fans are still complaining.

Gailey is a very good offensive mind. for whatever reason, he tried to get by with very average talent at QB. But he maximized a lot of player's talents. This is on the job training for the new coaches. The key to being a good coach is not to be too stubborn, learn from your mistakes, and adjust. Hopefully, they will.

well. He had to get by with the talent he had at qb... he had no choice there

Good post, although I'd say that playcalling and formation aren't separate things. The formation is part of the playcall and vice versa. Otherwise, you're right.

• 3 weeks later...

Spiller is now on pace for 827 rushing yards and 82 receiving yards. He's actually averaging 2.6 yards per reception (14 catches for 36 yards in seven games).

He's hurt but that's awful that he is averaging that little on catches. Spiller needs to be put in space more. It's his strength. But this is why so players don't play until they are 100%. They open themselves up to criticism when they don't produce like we're used to.

If only we had Levitre who is clearing the path for Chris Johnson and his 3.2 ypc.

He's hurt but that's awful that he is averaging that little on catches. Spiller needs to be put in space more. It's his strength. But this is why so players don't play until they are 100%. They open themselves up to criticism when they don't produce like we're used to.

If only we had Levitre who is clearing the path for Chris Johnson and his 3.2 ypc.

I can't figure out the terrible passing numbers. That has to be bad coordination because he's an electric receiver. He averaged 10.7 ypc last season on 43 catches, which is great for a running back. 2.6 ypc is worse than pathetic.

I can't figure out the terrible passing numbers. That has to be bad coordination because he's an electric receiver. He averaged 10.7 ypc last season on 43 catches, which is great for a running back. 2.6 ypc is worse than pathetic.

Agreed. Gailey's screen designs were amazing. I also don't understand why they don't run more wheel routes or streaks with Spiller. No LB could cover him in the open field.

People underestimate how hurt Spiller is. His ankle has him hobbled after each touch of the ball. If you havent played football you may not understand how much a bum ankle hinders a player at any position, especially RB. Most RB's would not even attempt to be playing right now, and one can argue Spiller shouldnt be either.

That being said, in terms of his performance in the passing game, I feel that falls squarely on the shoulders of our playcalling. For one, he has had very few called for him. Secondly, I have seen several that were just really poor execution on the OL and blockers. Third, a couple have seen the ball not placed in an ideal spot to catch it, meaning he had to turn his back to the D grab it or break off the route to catch it. Fourth, his injury has sapped his explosiveness.

Last year, when healthy, his athletic ability could make up for some of the above issues. Now, he can still accelerate, but mostly in a straight line as he can be as shifty with a bum wheel and it shows. In fact, anytime he has to it literally takes him out of the game it seems limping.

My personal opinion is that we should sit him next week (lets be honest, we most likely will not beat NO anyway) since he cant play many snaps like this. He needs at least a week off...then he can be elvaluated week to week. This is a team that still has a chance to contend for a playoff spot. We will be a better team with a healthy Spiller...so let him rest it and get him back to 100% before he further damages it and misses real time.

Man, your posts and shouts are some of the most ridiculous I see...I will bet you any amount of money you want or any type of wager you like that CJ will exceed 800 yards and he will ALSO exceed 2 TD's (assuming no serious injuries). Seriously, you name any wager you want...legit wager...I will take the over.

My guess, you wont take that because you just like to troll

Spiller CAN"T handle the ball every down. He gets hurt. Period.

When? When does Spiller get hurt? Please explain your urban legend that isn't true

Then you should never be allowed ever to evaluate players of any team, game etc. CJ was amazing in college. CJ had an amazing year last year too. You clearly have literally no idea what to look for in a RB

And Charles is hurt again...nice job. I will bet you money Spiller has the better fantasy year

People underestimate how hurt Spiller is. His ankle has him hobbled after each touch of the ball. If you havent played football you may not understand how much a bum ankle hinders a player at any position, especially RB. Most RB's would not even attempt to be playing right now, and one can argue Spiller shouldnt be either.

That being said, in terms of his performance in the passing game, I feel that falls squarely on the shoulders of our playcalling. For one, he has had very few called for him. Secondly, I have seen several that were just really poor execution on the OL and blockers. Third, a couple have seen the ball not placed in an ideal spot to catch it, meaning he had to turn his back to the D grab it or break off the route to catch it. Fourth, his injury has sapped his explosiveness.

Last year, when healthy, his athletic ability could make up for some of the above issues. Now, he can still accelerate, but mostly in a straight line as he can be as shifty with a bum wheel and it shows. In fact, anytime he has to it literally takes him out of the game it seems limping.

My personal opinion is that we should sit him next week (lets be honest, we most likely will not beat NO anyway) since he cant play many snaps like this. He needs at least a week off...then he can be elvaluated week to week. This is a team that still has a chance to contend for a playoff spot. We will be a better team with a healthy Spiller...so let him rest it and get him back to 100% before he further damages it and misses real time.

I thought he doesn't get hurt?

Edited by FireChan

I thought he doesn't get hurt?

Reggie Wayne does NOT get hurt either...hes out for the season. Whats your point? Its the NFL, players can and will get hurt. People were saying he is injury prone and cant handle the load, which has not been true. He has not been injury prone...did he get hurt this year? Yes, so did Freddie, Choice, EJ, SJ, Gilmore, Kyle, Mario, Carrington, Byrd, Brooks, and a bunch more people on this team. Has he missed a game? No...should he, YES.

Reggie Wayne does NOT get hurt either...hes out for the season. Whats your point? Its the NFL, players can and will get hurt. People were saying he is injury prone and cant handle the load, which has not been true. He has not been injury prone...did he get hurt this year? Yes, so did Freddie, Choice, EJ, SJ, Gilmore, Kyle, Mario, Carrington, Byrd, Brooks, and a bunch more people on this team. Has he missed a game? No...should he, YES.

We evaluated a player successfully. Spiller was an injury waiting to happen. I guess we SHOULD evaluate running backs.

We evaluated a player successfully. Spiller was an injury waiting to happen. I guess we SHOULD evaluate running backs.

Your the biggest Spiller troll alive.

happy to see you rejoice over his injured ankle.

your a classy guy Firechan.

its not like he smoked everyone on the field with a gimpy ankle vs the browns. Spiller will pay dividends before it's all said and done.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

All Spiller did last week was hurt the team. I applaud his willingness to play through the pain, but Hackett and certainly Marrone should have known better. All Spiller did was aggravate the ankle further and put this week in jeopardy. He should be out until he can be effective.

As to the bolded, that's what pretty much everyone said about the fish last week as well.