MIA - TJ Graham - Track star with no separation

MClem06

It may be a retread but this last game just highlights the fact that the Bills think too much of this kid. His presence on the field was in no way a threat. He got an end around took it for 5 yds and took a return for 19 yards. I'd be interested to know how many plays he was on the field for since he disappeared outside of these two plays. I for one have never cared for him as a receiver. He is not physical at the line and gets jammed easily. I would much rather see Easley or Goodwin get more reps as starters than TJ.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be a retread but this last game just highlights the fact that the Bills think too much of this kid. His presence on the field was in no way a threat. He got an end around took it for 5 yds and took a return for 19 yards. I'd be interested to know how many plays he was on the field for since he disappeared outside of these two plays. I for one have never cared for him as a receiver. He is not physical at the line and gets jammed easily. I would much rather see Easley or Goodwin get more reps as starters than TJ.

TJ definitely had separation in week one on the go route where EJ missed him by throwing the ball out of bounds. With an accurate throw from EJ, that play results in a Touchdown.

Not sure how the number of plays he was on the field is relevant. According to ESPN, Robert Woods was on the field for all but two of the Bills offensive snaps. He was targeted twice. Once for a TD! What does that mean?

I liked the game that EJ Manuel had on Sunday, and am very encouraged. That said, the Bills just didn't seem willing to really try to stretch the field at all. I am not ready to write of TJ Graham, until he gets the kind of opportunites that he appears to be built for..(and fails or succeeds). There were a few plays where he (and other receivers for that matter) seemed open down field, but EJ wasn't looking his way. The guy is a speed burner, and is being used, primarily, like a possession receiver. It was the same as last year. Early last season, he seemed to get past his coverage...Fitz was willing to throw to him, but seemed incapable of throwing on target....

Edited by Buftex

You may see Easley get a lot more reps now that Goodwin is out.

Easley is an upgrade over an injured Goodwin, obviously (easily?). Is he an upgrade over a healthy Graham? Do we need a speed burner out there to stretch the field?

kj

I was at the game and heard he got wide open deep one time and was completely missed. Not sure thought because I haven't seen a copy of the game. Can anyone verify? And if a guy gets deep for a big play once a game, that's some value.

TJ definitely had separation in week one on the go route where EJ missed him by throwing the ball out of bounds. With an accurate throw from EJ, that play results in a Touchdown.

How did this thread continue after these two accurate posts?

I would want Goodwin as my burner over TJ is all i'm sayin. TJ's been here and maybe he has not been given the perfect QB for his role but he also hasn't shown me anything spectacular in his tenure as a Bill so far.

Big Cat, outside of a stretch play that was not completed what has TJ brought to the table? What has he showed you to convince you he needs more reps than Goodwin or Easley? I started this thread because I want to be proven wrong here. I want to like every Bill on the team but for some reason he hasn't proven his worth yet. Next 3 games let's revisit this post and look at how he stacks up and if they go for him on the long ball how many times he's blanketed or open.

We've all seen what TJ can do. Absolutely nothing. He is the #1 problem on the offense. If EJ puts that deep pass on the money, there's still no guarantee TJ hauls it in. That 19 yard return was atrocious. He got it to the 12 after dropping it then running out of endzone, having second thoughts at the 2, then his teammate told him to run. This guy is physically and mentally challenged. I'm convinced he's Whaley's nephew. No business being in the NFL. Remember losing to Pats last year after he ran the wrong route?

Not a lot of throws to WRs in generally, and only 1 specifically directed towards Graham. What happened to him tearing it up in camp?

I want to be encouraged by the positives from Week 1, but it really looked like the same old Bills to me, just at a faster pace. Lots of 3-and-outs. Lots of checkdowns. The rare deep shots were down the sideline and either underthrown or out of bounds. Very few intermediate throws. Just enough of a glimpse of what it *could* look like (2nd half opening drive) to keep us hopeful, but most of the time, it's drive-killing penalties or general ineptitude. Both backs are good players, but the run game wasn't very effective, particularly on 3rd down. No sacks allowed, but only 150 yards through the air. And to cap it all off, a disturbingly predictable heartbreaking loss. I'm sick of moral victories. I'm sick of teams that would be good "if they can just put it all together". I'm not writing this team off after 1 game, but I'm not very encouraged.

Graham is not worth it for the one thing he supposedly does well, catching deep passes. Bad route runner, among the worst hands of any WR in the league, no physicality, and the Bills continue to use him often underneath which I cannot understand. And he's not much on special teams. I've never understood what the Bills see in this kid.

Not a lot of throws to WRs in generally, and only 1 specifically directed towards Graham. What happened to him tearing it up in camp?

I want to be encouraged by the positives from Week 1, but it really looked like the same old Bills to me, just at a faster pace. Lots of 3-and-outs. Lots of checkdowns. The rare deep shots were down the sideline and either underthrown or out of bounds. Very few intermediate throws. Just enough of a glimpse of what it *could* look like (2nd half opening drive) to keep us hopeful, but most of the time, it's drive-killing penalties or general ineptitude. Both backs are good players, but the run game wasn't very effective, particularly on 3rd down. No sacks allowed, but only 150 yards through the air. And to cap it all off, a disturbingly predictable heartbreaking loss. I'm sick of moral victories. I'm sick of teams that would be good "if they can just put it all together". I'm not writing this team off after 1 game, but I'm not very encouraged.

I think it is the right approach with EJ.

You have to build that confidence from the inside out so to speak with most rookies - keep the drops short and the reads quick so that he does not get pummeled into concussion land and throw in a few shots downfield to keep the defense honest. They are doing what they need to do to bring him along slowly and allowing him to lean on the running game and quick hook-ups. He does have to hit on those long ones when he takes them or he is just going to see safeties in the box and single coverage on the outside more and more.

Sort-of what we saw with Fitz's inability to hit the long balls when the outside man is singled up - the noose kept tightening up and there were a lot more 3 and outs.

I would like to see the TE's more involved in the passing game, but they are probably more focused on pass protection at this stage but the coaching staff will take more chances as we roll this year. Next year's draft will probably focus on shoring up CB, OL, and the TE positions unless some unknowns turn into rock stars over the course of the season.

Trying to stay level and not expect too much - just want the kid to stay healthy at this stage of the game.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

I think Chan was right. I'm not sure teams stretch the field vertically as much as in the past and if they do it is with match-up nightmares ie. Gronk on a LB. Of course there are the exceptions like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson who can beat any defense. But I think horizontally spreading the defense is the way to go. It gives more lanes for the RB's and allows less skilled WR's to do well if they can take the hits.

As posted above if you can get that one long ball strike for a TD or a PI, the rest of the game played probably matters little. Stevie had 39 yards the whole game and can't run by safeties let alone elite corners. Graham is a threat to run by anyone in the NFL.

Again as posted above it means nothing if EJ can't deliver an accurate ball.

Not a big TJ fan and I would like to see more of Easley for now.

But, in fairness the guy is almost always under thrown and never hit in stride.

If his hands are good (and I know he has something to prove there) he could take the top off any defence IMO.

I just don't see him ever going over the middle much so at best he is somewhat one dimensional.

I was at the game and TJ did indeed get open deep a few times.

But so what? The guy can run fast, but he doesn't appear to be a football player. Has anyone ever seen him make an actual football play? He does look like a track star out there, running go routes over and over again. Lest we not forget the bungled special teams play where he bobbled the ball in the endzone and then ran it out anyway and got pasted on the 11 yard-line.

Easley is bigger, also very fast, has better hands, and actually makes plays that look like what a WR is supposed to do when he's in the game (he also is a great special teams player). I don't get why they keep putting Graham in there over Easley. Makes no sense to me.