Did Marrone tip off front office moves that were in progress?

GG

You said promotion. That was the issue i had

I recall reading that in addition to the extension he added some other duties.

But even if we stick to your May date, doesn't that make Marrone's comment even more perplexing, when he referred to knowing of a transition when he came in?

You'd figure hindsight analysis would be your strong suit?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bare cupboard? Bills fans seriously like to overlook the talent on the roster.

Stevie Johnson is a 1,000 yard receiver

Cj Spiller averaged 6 yards per carry last season right up threre with AP

A good O line

A stud corner in making in Gilmore

One of the most talented pass rushers in the game right now

A pro bowl safety

Yeah, bare cupboard my ass

How did they end up 6-10 last season then?

How do you interpret the following?

Coming in when - January or May?

Well, as his future would be in the GM's hand, whomever it was, I think it was only right he would know if that was already in the works.

Edited by CSBill

Of course Marrone knew in January that Whaley was taking over for Buddy Nix. Whaley was with Brandon in AZ as part of the interviewing process for HC and with Brandon, Nix, and Marrone when the went to NJ to court Pettine later on.

GO BILLS!!!

Again, that link is from February, but Marrone's quote was "Coming in, I knew..." So he must have known something in early January not late February, or May when Whaley finally got the job (with an odd delay attached to it).

Right but did he know it would be may 2013, or simply when buddy was done sometime soon?

And really it doesn't much matter either way I suppose other than simply saying we know instead of think. It doesn't change anything really

And really it doesn't much matter either way I suppose other than simply saying we know instead of think. It doesn't change anything really

Correct, and it was also evident in how Bills conducted the draft and made the player moves in the spring. It was very un-Buddy like. Yet, Brandon was adamant that nothing had changed in the front office until May 13th.

The main reason I brought it up is to show that people shouldn't take what OBD says as gospel. There's always the other side of the story.

Correct, and it was also evident in how Bills conducted the draft and made the player moves in the spring. It was very un-Buddy like. Yet, Brandon was adamant that nothing had changed in the front office until May 13th.

The main reason I brought it up is to show that people shouldn't take what OBD says as gospel. There's always the other side of the story.

Who takes what OBD says as gospel? They're still selling that they want to sign Byrd long term. But on this specific point, in order to believe Buddy's exit was "already in motion" when the coaching search was going on, you'd have to call everyone involved a liar. I'm not willing to go that far.

How do you interpret the following?

"Coming in, I did know there was going to be a transition with Doug (Whaley) and Buddy Nix."

Actually, who DIDN'T know this. It's been reported for two years that Whaley was being groomed for the GM position. Why shouldn't Marrone know about it as well?

http://buffalobillss...y-promoted.html

http://profootballta...firing-tracker/

http://www.buffaloru...ger-doug-whaley

Edited by Lurker

Yea - it's ridiculous to think they will give us 100% fact. I don't know if this proves that. What if buddy wanted one more year but post draft and getting his qb of the future (I've suspected this would be the trigger for buddy's exit- drafting a franchise qb) to cement his legacy (good or bad) he decided he had enough?

Who takes what OBD says as gospel? They're still selling that they want to sign Byrd long term. But on this specific point, in order to believe Buddy's exit was "already in motion" when the coaching search was going on, you'd have to call everyone involved a liar. I'm not willing to go that far.

I think this has been established a long time ago.

What if buddy wanted one more year but post draft and getting his qb of the future (I've suspected this would be the trigger for buddy's exit- drafting a franchise qb) to cement his legacy (good or bad) he decided he had enough?

Plausible, but to me, highly unlikely. I think Buddy sealed his fate when he torpedoed the pending negotiations with Fitzpatrick by broadcasting in October that Bills will be looking strongly at replacing him. Apparently that didn't go over well at OBD. Let's not forget that Buddy also replaced Brandon as GM, and my guess is that Brandon wasted no time in telling Nix that his tenure was coming to an end right after he got the presidency gig. All these things make sense especially with Buddy's much lower profile this winter & spring.

Plausible, but to me, highly unlikely. I think Buddy sealed his fate when he torpedoed the pending negotiations with Fitzpatrick by broadcasting in October that Bills will be looking strongly at replacing him. Apparently that didn't go over well at OBD. Let's not forget that Buddy also replaced Brandon as GM, and my guess is that Brandon wasted no time in telling Nix that his tenure was coming to an end right after he got the presidency gig. All these things make sense especially with Buddy's much lower profile this winter & spring.

but the incident you are citing as sealing his fate came AFTER you say the decision was made.

in the end though, i still dont think it matters much. clearly the transition has been taking place for a couple years, not a couple months. whether or not they knew the date in january i dont think changes the narrative THAT much. we still wont know decisively what decisions belonged to who this spring.