Did Marrone tip off front office moves that were in progress?

GG

How do you interpret the following?

A: Two parts--and I’ve been asked this question a lot with the symmetry of the management, that’s kind of all I knew. Coming in, I did know there was going to be a transition with Doug (Whaley) and Buddy Nix.

Coming in when - January or May?

Edited by GG

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also doesnt state when the transition would happen- so it doesn't give a ton of the story- I think we all expected it at somepoint.

I think it is important, because in the way I'm reading the comments is that Marrone knew when he came in that there would be a transition from Nix to Whaley. I think it's something that many have speculated on, but this is the first comment from an insider that gives credence to the theory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Buddy hired Whaley three years ago as assistant GM, and Whaley's duties consistently changed and expanded. Then his contract was extended. Buddy is in his 70s. Exactly who DIDN'T know there would be a transition?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Buddy hired Whaley three years ago as assistant GM, and Whaley's duties consistently changed and expanded. Then his contract was extended. Buddy is in his 70s. Exactly who DIDN'T know there would be a transition?

The timeline is important along with what the Bills' party line was saying at the time. When Marrone was hired, OBD's position was that Buddy was allegedly fully entrenched as GM. Whaley didn't get his promotion until February, nearly two months after Marrone was hired.

So yes, it's plainly obvious in retrospect that the wheels were in motion in January to phase Buddy out, and that likely contributed to a sudden resurgence of interest in a Bills head coaching job. And it is also another lesson that people shouldn't take what OBD says as gospel, because inevitably six months later the true story will come out.

Edited by GG

The timeline is important along with what the Bills' party line was saying at the time. When Marrone was hired, OBD's position was that Buddy was allegedly fully entrenched as GM. Whaley didn't get his promotion until February, nearly two months after Marrone was hired.

So yes, it's plainly obvious in retrospect that the wheels were in motion in January to phase Buddy out, and that likely contributed to a sudden resurgence of interest in a Bills head coaching job. And it is also another lesson that people shouldn't take what OBD says as gospel, because inevitably six months later the true story will come out.

Or you know, May

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000202111/article/doug-whaley-named-general-manager-of-buffalo-bills

Conspiracy theories have more credence if you bothered to check google for your first fact

http://msn.foxsports...Whaley-50840653

See this article. News reports state when Whaley was resigned as assistant GM in feb, and specifically identified as Nix's hand picked successor. Writing was on the wall...

Which is nearly two months after Marrone got hired. That's the point I'm making. It's much more obvious now that Bills were telling the prospective coaches that Buddy was being transitioned.

I think Brandon taking over and becoming the face of this franchise was most to do with the resurgence of head coaching interest. I am with you that it is interesting to know that the wheels were already in motion in January but not surprising looking back.

Edited by GaryPinC

Which is nearly two months after Marrone got hired. That's the point I'm making. It's much more obvious now that Bills were telling the prospective coaches that Buddy was being transitioned.

I think you might be splitting hairs. Even when Whaley was hired, it was deemed as a succession plan. Check out the link below. I think marrone probably suspected what all if us did-- Whaley could take over at any time.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/142517-great-article-on-doug-whaley/

I think you might be splitting hairs. Even when Whaley was hired, it was deemed as a succession plan. Check out the link below. I think marrone probably suspected what all if us did-- Whaley could take over at any time.

http://forums.twobil...on-doug-whaley/

Again, that link is from February, but Marrone's quote was "Coming in, I knew..." So he must have known something in early January not late February, or May when Whaley finally got the job (with an odd delay attached to it).

Yep.

Doesn't make sense that in 2010 the Bills couldn't get interviews, with numerous guys turning them down, and them having to hire their emergency guy. 3 years later after winning 1/3 of their games and with a bare cupboard of talent the team all of sudden is a great landing spot?

There can be no other conclusion.

Yep.

Doesn't make sense that in 2010 the Bills couldn't get interviews, with numerous guys turning them down, and them having to hire their emergency guy. 3 years later after winning 1/3 of their games and with a bare cupboard of talent the team all of sudden is a great landing spot?

There can be no other conclusion.

Bare cupboard? Bills fans seriously like to overlook the talent on the roster.

Stevie Johnson is a 1,000 yard receiver

Cj Spiller averaged 6 yards per carry last season right up threre with AP

A good O line

A stud corner in making in Gilmore

One of the most talented pass rushers in the game right now

A pro bowl safety

Yeah, bare cupboard my ass