places to eat & see in Buffalo? (coming to KC game)

Rockee96

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I will be flying out to Buffalo from California for the KC game in November.

This will be the first trip my wife and I will be taking after we got married earlier this year, so I want to make it a memorable experience (it would help a lot if they win the game).

I was wondering if you can recommend some good places to eat and also visit during our 3-day stay? Can you share your thoughts on:

Best place to eat pizza (New York style)

Hot Dogs

Wings (do you know a good local restaurant, instead of the big chains?)

Nice places for a newly married couple to visit (besides Niagara Falls)?

Thank you so much! Go Bills!

I'll be at the tailgate (with several packs of beer and chips), so I look forward to meeting you!

-Thomas

As for Food touring:

Swiston's Beef and Keg in Tonawanda is my favorite weck place and they have a very good chili.

Duff's for wings, but Anchor Bar is the so-called birthplace of the chicken wing so it has that tourist distinction.

Charlie The Butcher and Duff's both have locations very close to the airport.

Bar-Bill is very good for both generally, although I ate there last week and the wings were a bit large and not cooked as crispy as normal. A Buffalo Wing needs to be crispy. There is a new Jim's Steak Out a block from Bar Bill in East Aurora.

You can get Red Osier beef on weck in the stadium. I think Fried Bologna is still served in the stadium too, but not sure.

As mentioned, Danny's and Big Tree are very good right next to the stadium. Danny's chicken wing soup is great.

Tim Horton's is a local fixture as a donut place....and Wegmans is worth a look. It blows away anything you see in full size grocery chain in CA. Great prepared food there too.

Kill 2 birds with (1) stone & go to Bar Bills in East Aurora.

Great wings (different flavors), and excellent beef on weck.

(not too far from Orchard Park / the "Ralph")

. If you get in the friggin joint

As for Food touring:

Swiston's Beef and Keg in Tonawanda is my favorite weck place and they have a very good chili.

Duff's for wings, but Anchor Bar is the so-called birthplace of the chicken wing so it has that tourist distinction.

Charlie The Butcher and Duff's both have locations very close to the airport.

Bar-Bill is very good for both generally, although I ate there last week and the wings were a bit large and not cooked as crispy as normal. A Buffalo Wing needs to be crispy. There is a new Jim's Steak Out a block from Bar Bill in East Aurora.

You can get Red Osier beef on weck in the stadium. I think Fried Bologna is still served in the stadium too, but not sure.

As mentioned, Danny's and Big Tree are very good right next to the stadium. Danny's chicken wing soup is great.

Tim Horton's is a local fixture as a donut place....and Wegmans is worth a look. It blows away anything you see in full size grocery chain in CA. Great prepared food there too.

good calls ate at all of the above

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I am trying to decide between Bocces and Zettis for pizza...Any thoughts on which place I should go?

Thanks!

-Thomas

Bocce's is what I would call "Buffalo style." Not too think, not too thin with a sauce that's on the sweet side and the crispiest, most amazing pepperoni known to man. Zetti's is New York style (for the most part), thin and delicious. I love Zetti's, but Bocce is where my heart is. I would recommend ordering well done if ordering from Bocce, but that might just be my preference. Also, I'm not sure if Bocce has a dining room. The one on Bailey might.

Pizza - La Nova, Bocce on Bailey or Buzzy's in the Falls

Hot Dogs - Teds, with all the fixings and a side of onion rings!

Wings - Gordon's on Delaware in Kenmore. Very underrated and nice people.

As far as things for couples to do, now is a great time to check out some of the local wineries in Niagara. Beautiful this time of year.

Have fun!

Teds- chargrilled hotdogs

Louies- get a slimedog

TIM hortons- coffee or hot Apple cider

Mighty taco- if your drunk....anything

pasquales- pizza

Duffs- wings

Dannys- chicken wing soup

Chefs- spaghetti parm

Pearl street grill brewery- a tube of street brawler

Don't be afraid to try the local restaurants. There are many food choices. Some are cheap and quick while others may be fancier but there is lots of good food here. Compared to many other parts of the country we don't have as many national food chains because local restaurants are popular.

For entertainment....

Albright Knox art museum

Frank Lloyd wright architecture

Buffalo naval museum is cool

Letchworth state park is really nice

Niagara wine trail

Finger lakes wine trails (keuka, seneca, cayuga)

Obviously Niagara falls

Let us know what you are looking to do and we can be more specific

I miss a pizza place... Pontillio's?

We used to always go up to and stay with a friend in Spencerport. I've not been there in 10 years or so... yet, I remember how to get there and found it on Google Earth just by remembering the number of turns and roads to pass. It is way off 90, by a school and on Webster. God, I am going to be hardcore geeking on nostalgia all week.

there was a Pontillo's in Lockport - north of buffalo, "near" spencerport - the husband and wife got divorced and the husband reopened the shop, same location, but the name is now Lock City Pizza

IF thats the Pontillos you are talking about

Crow's Nest in Getzville. The King of all Fish Fries.

Damn, I totally forgot about the fish fry. Man do I miss that. I used to live in Getzville, but I don't remember the Crow's Nest. Where is it?