Ron Brooks to Start at CB

FutureBillsGM

It's McKelvin on the Pats No. 1 WR that is disconcerting.

I follow the team pretty closely, especially what Coach Pettine has had to say this preaseason, and I could swear I remember him saying that he did not plan to match up his #1 corner (he was talking about Gilmore at the time) with the opponent's #1 receiver, but instead was going to keep his #1 guy on the same side of the field the whole game. I remember this because when I heard it I said "huh"? Anyone else recall this?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow the team pretty closely, especially what Coach Pettine has had to say this preaseason, and I could swear I remember him saying that he did not plan to match up his #1 corner (he was talking about Gilmore at the time) with the opponent's #1 receiver, but instead was going to keep his #1 guy on the same side of the field the whole game. I remember this because when I heard it I said "huh"? Anyone else recall this?

That's troubling to me. Good coaches move their receivers around. I remember when under Fewell, Edwards, and maybe even Wanny, we would take this same approach, and would get killed by teams moving their receivers to the slot.

If Brooks can develop steady within this season and Leodis can get tweaked by the coaches and fix that tiny problem,

We might have something back there by the time Grumpy Gilmore returns.

If A. Wiliams continues trending upwards and Byrd finishes up with his pedicure we might have a secondary of note.

and if the press coverage is effective because we might really have a pass rush we might give the Patriots some trouble.

Go Bills opener!

If Brooks can develop steady within this season and Leodis can get tweaked by the coaches and fix that tiny problem,

We might have something back there by the time Grumpy Gilmore returns.

If A. Wiliams continues trending upwards and Byrd finishes up with his pedicure we might have a secondary of note.

and if the press coverage is effective because we might really have a pass rush we might give the Patriots some trouble.

Go Bills opener!

A lot of if's haha

Brooks has some skills, he hits, and has ball skills. But, his speed and cover ability are suspect. Last year against Indy, Ty Hilton left him in the dust, Brooks cannot run with the burners. So, I look for this to be trouble...not saying I have a better answer, just that the Pats will make use of that situation I am afraid. Brooks reminds me of a young Drayton Florence. (who the Bills cut because he was getting burned to often)

A lot of if's haha

dont forget to notice the " mights" lol

Brooks has some skills, he hits, and has ball skills. But, his speed and cover ability are suspect. Last year against Indy, Ty Hilton left him in the dust, Brooks cannot run with the burners. So, I look for this to be trouble...not saying I have a better answer, just that the Pats will make use of that situation I am afraid. Brooks reminds me of a young Drayton Florence. (who the Bills cut because he was getting burned to often)

was he playing press agianst Ty ?

Honestly he has much improved in practice but has yet to take the steps that tell me he has " it " even though i still think he could achieve alot more than he has. But honestly am concerned about him playing the boundary. maybe Pettine can coach around till Bills get rolling . Drayton did make some nice plays though. on occasion

Edited by 3rdand12

The key is our pass rush and how often (if at all) we hit Golden Boy.

If Brady has time to throw, it doesn't matter if we have four Darelle Revis' out there.

Also, the Bills have to press them at the LOS else GB will simply "play catch" for 5 yard freebies.

Fortunately, Pettine knows all this. The Stache was clueless last year.

This is my hope. Right up the middle, get Brady uncomfy back there and he throws INT's too.

He not mobile anymore.

I think we can win if we get some turnovers.

I am okay with this. Frankly, Brooks is the least of our worries. It's McKelvin on the Pats No. 1 WR that is disconcerting.

+ 1

Bingo.

If anyone doesn't think the "Hoodie" and Brady aren't laughing themselves silly over the prospect of throwing deep on McLuvin, well, they just are.

With the talent we have on D, last year should have been Brady's last but Wanny killed that. so I am now going to predict that this will be Brady's last year - Mario's big chance to solidify himself in the record books - or perhaps Kiko or another Bill will beat him to it.

Edited by BuffaloFan68

It will be a high scoring game if we are in it. And if we win it, I expect a combined score over 75

We shall see. Hard to imagine this game not being nearly unwatchable from a Bills fan perspective, but hey, get EJ in there and let the 5th (or is it 6th... 10th?) rebuilding process begin I guess.

Time will tell, but I think Brooks's lapses have been akin to making rookie mistakes, not some fundamental flaw or lack of talent.

He's fast, physical, and hits hard. When he's been "burned," it's been due to biting on a double move, or making a mental mistake w regard to the coverage assignments.

Guess what? Gilmore did the same stuff early as a rookie too, and most are very high on Gilmore now. I'm not saying he's as good as Gilmore or will be, but I think if as Brooks gets some more experience, we'll see him develop into a solid contributor. The book is far from closed on Brooks.

Brooks is a very young guy, who seems to be playing a high risk, high reward style so far. I think we will see some great defensive plays from him this season. IMO he's a playmaker, and has the best chance for a pick 6 of anyone on the roster right now.

If he can just keep raising his floor (making his worst plays less bad) I think he could become an excellent CB. And I think all this based on the very little we've seen him play! :thumbsup: