I have a dream 50 years later

Chef Jim

King was heavily criticized at the time as an Uncle Tom. His famous and open conflict with Stockley Carmichael was well known. CArmichael advocated Black Power and more confrontation with whites and that ran directly counter to King's non-violence and seemingly lay down to whites attitude. By the time he died he was sort of a victim of his own success, the voting rights act a nd the civil rights act were in place and after the famous voting rights march in Alabama where the white cops attacked the black marchers there was more federal intervention in the south. THATs a huge reason for the hatred of the Federal Government in that region.

After those acts and events the 60's swung wildly in a new direction. In August of 1965 the sixties swung like a gate, the Riots in Watts broke out and LBJ began sending troops into Vietnam in large numbers. king became a leading anti-war advocate-- gave the initial speech against the war on the day I was born! "The Promises of the great society have been Have been shot down on the battlefield of Vietnam making the poor, both in Vietnam and the ghetto pay the highest price for the war" or words to that affect.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we could have someone of his strength come along and salvage what little is left of our morality. Remove the race, remove the "Southern Baptist", remove the tainted legacy and fabled truths - what this guy did was powerful. His nonchalant not going to be damned attitude came out so differently then others of his time and if only today we could look at his words and apply them to our lives we would be better off. Just like the Constitution his speech is a living document. Apply it to all forms of hate and injustice and you will find a universal truth - that all men are created equal.

I wish we could have someone of his strength come along and salvage what little is left of our morality. Remove the race, remove the "Southern Baptist", remove the tainted legacy and fabled truths - what this guy did was powerful. His nonchalant not going to be damned attitude came out so differently then others of his time and if only today we could look at his words and apply them to our lives we would be better off. Just like the Constitution his speech is a living document. Apply it to all forms of hate and injustice and you will find a universal truth - that all men are created equal.

But listen to what he said. Yes all men are created equal but we are not all equal. A man should not be judged by the color of his skin but the content of his character. That is huge! You think the POS that killed her baby, those kids that killed that WWII vet are equal? No because their character has major flaws. Not that they were black or white or brown, but they had a major lack of character.

We as a society are morally superior to his time. Less violent, less hateful and much more tolerant, IMO

But listen to what he said. Yes all men are created equal but we are not all equal. A man should not be judged by the color of his skin but the content of his character. That is huge! You think the POS that killed her baby, those kids that killed that WWII vet are equal? No because their character has major flaws. Not that they were black or white or brown, but they had a major lack of character.

We are created equal. I will forever believe this. The paths we choose are what make our character.

We as a society are morally superior to his time. Less violent, less hateful and much more tolerant, IMO

Honeybooboo say what? There are studies to actually show we have got dumber as a species. That violence is increasing, and I do not even know what to tell you about tolerance and hate. I see more hate spewed on a daily basis then I care to realize.

We are created equal. I will forever believe this. The paths we choose are what make our character.

Honeybooboo say what? There are studies to actually show we have got dumber as a species. That violence is increasing, and I do not even know what to tell you about tolerance and hate. I see more hate spewed on a daily basis then I care to realize.

We are much more educated than in the past, and violence is way down compared to the past. Racism, sexism and common bullying are considered bad now, they were widely accepted and sanctioned in 1960's. Yes, you see hate now, you would have seen way more if you lived in the past. Imagine living during segregation in the south?

We are much more educated than in the past, and violence is way down compared to the past. Racism, sexism and common bullying are considered bad now, they were widely accepted and sanctioned in 1960's. Yes, you see hate now, you would have seen way more if you lived in the past. Imagine living during segregation in the south?

I still live in the segregated South. Trust me, there are parts here that a black man just won't go in to. There are parts here that a white man just won't go in to. You really think sexism and racism were not considered bad now? That they have faded? I hear derogatory words against blacks, hispanics and whites all day at least 10 times a day. I hear women called B word and much more just turning on the radio. I hear kids call others the gay f word, gay, homo, other such terms all the time. Yeah. I am living in the past.

Come to my neck of the woods. I am not going to judge yours, but I can promise you, it's a whole lot different here. Let me drive you 10 minutes from my house to a Klan rally. Or, we can go look at the old lynching tree that was used - the one used for the "coloreds." Tell me times have changed, I will agree. But, tell me things are better and I just do not care to hear it. When it is all gone and MLK Jr's words carried out in every day actions then I will believe it is better.

Racism, sexism and common bullying are considered bad now, they were widely accepted and sanctioned in 1960's.

Except of course if we're talking absentee voting then blacks are just too dumb, lazy, and unable to change their ways. At least that's what I heard someone say once.

His manner of speaking mesmerizes me. There are a few people who because of their message and delivery I could listen to over and over.

One of the best experiences I ever had in college was when I took a community health class. We would walk the streets of Atlanta, volunteer at soup kitchens, etc,etc. One day we were discussing MLK and as we were walking about the city we realized that our instructor had brought us to Ebenezer Baptist Church. I don't know if any of you guys have been there, but as you walk in they have MLK's sermons playing over a speaker system. It's one of the most surreal and amazing experiences I've ever had. Even if I had never heard of him, like you, I could have sat there and listened to his words for hours. I'll never forget that.

Society has become more lazy and more tolerant for government handouts. People are less hard working and are more sue happy. There are less block parties than 20 years ago. Neighbors don't talk to each other or even bother to know each other like in years past.

Morally superior you say?

Look at the shows on tv nowadays. So much garbage. Good newspapermen from years past would turn over in their graves if they could see what is transpiring now.

Edited by Pilsner

Society has become more lazy and more tolerant for government handouts. People are less hard working and are more sue happy. There are less block parties than 20 years ago. Neighbors don't talk to each other or even bother to know each other like in years past.

Look at the shows on tv nowadays. So much garbage. Good newspapermen from years past would turn over in their graves if they could see what is transpiring now.

Let's deconstuct this.

You got a point. What would King think of shows like "Breaking Bad?"

With reapect to the OP. I really have no idea why this thread is still open here. I've have threads locked, posts deleted, warning points and I believe a 72 hour suspension in the past for saying less regarding political and government issues.

Mods, sounds like we're picking and choosing what stays open based on personal preference.

Not being a d&$k just to be a d&$k here. Just saying though.

Really mrags? What seems to be your problem. This is the first I am hearing of this? You must be doing something wrong?

^

Amen.

There is way more tolerance now regardless of the "block-party" phenomenon that has worn off.

Say something negative about the gays and you will be tarred and feathered now. 10 years ago not so much

Mixed race couples can go out to dinner and people don't even look twice now.

There is way more tolerance now regardless of the "block-party" phenomenon that has worn off.

Say something negative about the gays and you will be tarred and feathered now. 10 years ago not so much

Mixed race couples can go out to dinner and people don't even look twice now.

Again... It is all a give and take... Finding balance. Speaking on capital punishment:

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/leoploeb/darrowclosing.html

From 1924. Would these boys have hung today? Tried as an "adult."