(OT) Worst Personnel Change To A Band

Rico

Just a few more nominees:

If we count dead guys, the loss of Terry Kath cost Chicago any chance of long-term credibility -- he was such a great guitar player he NEVER woulda stood for their synthy 80s pop sound.

Firing Ozzy was a definite dead-ender for Black Sabbath, although they had no choice.

Topping all these, however, is the horrible news I've recently heard that Brian May and the rest of Queen may go on tour with a new lead vocalist...Paul Rogers of Bad Company. Bismillah! Let me go! :(

206087[/snapback]

Paul Rogers? :huh: Nothing against him, really, since without him Bad Company was just another garage band...but I can't see him coming even close to duplicating the vocal ability you'd need to sing some of Freddie Mercury's pieces, unless they plan on doing "We Will Rock You" and "Stone Cold Crazy" and nothing else... :(

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true...but those latter two are so disappointing to me that I don't have them.  Waters wrote 90% of their music and he wanted to pack it in even before The Wall came out. Instead he booted Wright out of the band. Waters defines the embattled, tortured musician. But I read a recent interview and he has mellowed somewhat after the protracted legal battle with the rest of the band. But I don't believe you will ever see him and Gilmour having tea and crumpets together.

I won't be surprised if TheMadCap chimes in on this, too.

205935[/snapback]

Floyd's end is forshadowed nicely on the Live at Pompeii video. Even during the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, they were at each other's throats. There is a clip of Gilmour recording the solo for Eclipse and Roger is in the booth. He keeps stopping the track to yell at Dave for missing notes (sounded AWESOME to me) and basically being a pud. Such a waste....

Floyd's end is forshadowed nicely on the Live at Pompeii video. Even during the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, they were at each other's throats. There is a clip of Gilmour recording the solo for Eclipse and Roger is in the booth. He keeps stopping the track to yell at Dave for missing notes (sounded AWESOME to me) and basically being a pud. Such a waste....

"Mother did it need to be so...hard."

saw this topic on another board...

My top 3:

1. Mick Taylor leaves the Stones, replaced by Ron Wood.

Woody is cool, but no other band in history can touch the Taylor-era Stones.

2. Kenney Jones replaces Keith Moon. No way Jones could replace the greatest drummer in rock history, RIP Moonie.

3. Peter Green leaves Fleetwood Mac. Brilliant blues to AM pop.

Honorable mention:  Peter Gabriel leaves Genesis.

205697[/snapback]

All these posts and not one mention of your listing of Peter Green. One of the better guitarists of the late 60-early 70 period. Too bad he was haunted by his own demons. But you want to listen to one great album, try "Then played On." It would probably make my list of all time top 10.

BTW, I didn't think you were that old. :huh:

Also I doubt anyone could name a band which had so much success as such different entities.

I'll take a stab before dinner...

Dee Dee Ramone "leaving" the Ramones. As a vastly underrated songwriter (ignoring his idiotic forays into rap as Dee Dee King), Dee Dee was a genius in crafting 120 second long trashy yet infectious pop songs, and still contributed to the band after he left. While I felt CJ was adequate as a replacement musician, the band's musical creativity suffered tremendously by the deletion of Dee Dee.

Lou Barlow leaving Dinosaur Jr. While J and Murph continued to put out decent music (albeit really just the J Mascis show), and Lou went on to do Sebadoh (give me indy rock...uh, no thanks, Lou), I felt Dino Jr. needed the tension between J and Lou to keep its edge. Green Mind and subsequent records were listenable, but the intangibles that made Dino Jr a college radio hit were gone with the departure of Barlow.

Fast Eddie Clarke leaving Motorhead. The legenday lineup of Lemmy, Philthy Phil, and Fast Eddie lasted for 5 years and recorded some of the greatest loud rock and roll ever put to vinyl. Fast Eddie left to form Fastway with Pete Way of UFO, and was replaced by Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy) for one record, then by the technically proficient Wurzel. While there were some bright points on later releases (Rock and Roll, 1918), Motorhead clearly took a musical nosedive without Clarke.

I'm off for some thai food.

I'll take a stab before dinner...

Dee Dee Ramone "leaving" the Ramones.  As a vastly underrated songwriter (ignoring his idiotic forays into rap as Dee Dee King), Dee Dee was a genius in crafting 120 second long trashy yet infectious pop songs, and still contributed to the band after he left.  While I felt CJ was adequate as a replacement musician, the band's musical creativity suffered tremendously by the deletion of Dee Dee.

Lou Barlow leaving Dinosaur Jr.  While J and Murph continued to put out decent music (albeit really just the J Mascis show), and Lou went on to do Sebadoh (give me indy rock...uh, no thanks, Lou), I felt Dino Jr. needed the tension between J and Lou to keep its edge.  Green Mind and subsequent records were listenable, but the intangibles that made Dino Jr a college radio hit were gone with the departure of Barlow.

Fast Eddie Clarke leaving Motorhead.  The legenday lineup of Lemmy, Philthy Phil, and Fast Eddie lasted for 5 years and recorded some of the greatest loud rock and roll ever put to vinyl.  Fast Eddie left to form Fastway with Pete Way of UFO, and was replaced by Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy) for one record, then by the technically proficient Wurzel.  While there were some bright points on later releases (Rock and Roll, 1918), Motorhead clearly took a musical nosedive without Clarke.

I'm off for some thai food.

206182[/snapback]

Good post, especially the Motorhead part. I love Pete Way (especially the stuff from Waysted).

Thai food? Ick.

Cant say Rhodes or Bon Scott....they died for Chrissakes. And The Johnson AC/DC put out some hella good albums. And you cant say Mustaine, either. There is NO WAY Metallica would have survived with the overinflated egos of Hammet, Ulrich AND Mustaine.

This argument begins and ends with David Lee Roth and Van Halen.

205713[/snapback]

well hammet replaced mustaine,it would have been hetfield,ulrich mustaine and cliff burton

I don't mean to derail the VanHalen thread :huh: but just doing a stream of consciousness thang off the top of my bald head...

The Hollies after Graham Nash

The Byrds after David Crosby

The Band after Robbie Robertson (and later Richard Manuel)

The Who after Keith Moon (yes it was mentioned but NO ONE played drums like Moon) and after John Entwhistle (Boris the Spider was/is my favorite bassist)

Every Band He Was In after Eric Clapton left

Whatever happened to ...

The Animals after Eric Burden

The Supremes after Diana Ross

The Pips after Gladys Knight

Them after Van Morrison

The Imperials after Little Anthony

Big Brother and the Holding Company (or the Full Tilt Boogie) after Janis

The Velvet Underground after Lou Reed

The Experience after Jimi

The Mothers of Invention after Frank Zappa

The Guess Who after Bachman and Turner went to Overdrive

and a real biggee - the Doors after Jim Morrison

Sorry GG, I did not have to Google for any of these, no $$ !!

I don't mean to derail the VanHalen thread  :huh:  but just doing a stream of consciousness thang off the top of my bald head...

The Hollies after Graham Nash

The Byrds after David Crosby

The Band after Robbie Robertson (and later Richard Manuel)

The Who after Keith Moon (yes it was mentioned but NO ONE played drums like Moon) and after John Entwhistle (Boris the Spider was/is my favorite bassist)

Every Band He Was In after Eric Clapton left

Whatever happened to ...

The Animals after Eric Burden

The Supremes after Diana Ross

The Pips after Gladys Knight

Them after Van Morrison

The Imperials after Little Anthony

Big Brother and the Holding Company (or the Full Tilt Boogie) after Janis

The Velvet Underground after Lou Reed

The Experience after Jimi

The Mothers of Invention after Frank Zappa

The Guess Who after Bachman and Turner went to Overdrive

and a real biggee - the Doors after Jim Morrison

Sorry GG, I did not have to Google for any of these, no $$ !!

206209[/snapback]

There was no Doors after Jim. I was at his grave a few years back, quite a site. "I'm your poet and your my muse man" The Doors are one of my all time Fav's. BTW, Rock, you're showing your age. :(

There was no Doors after Jim. I was at his grave a few years back, quite a site. "I'm your poet and your my muse man"  The Doors are one of my all time Fav's. BTW, Rock, you're showing your age. :huh:

206212[/snapback]

Not quite true, as Scott Stapp from Creed played with the band one night on VH1 - it was something. Very powerful.

There was no Doors after Jim. I was at his grave a few years back, quite a site. "I'm your poet and your my muse man"  The Doors are one of my all time Fav's. BTW, Rock, you're showing your age. :huh:

206212[/snapback]

They put out two albums after his death. I have one of them ("Other Voices").

Not quite true, as Scott Stapp from Creed played with the band one night on VH1 - it was something.  Very powerful.

206213[/snapback]

That may have been a powerful rendition, but as the man says, "Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection."

Then he might say, "What have they done to our fair sister, Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her; Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn; And tied her with fences and dragged her down."

80% of the magic in their/his songs was the lyrics he created and brought to life.

So when the music's over...