Drummers - They're All Crazy

Gugny

Some of you know I'm in a cover band and I've had my share of bad drummer situations.

First drummer - was a salesman, too. Spoke out both sides of his mouth too many times; burned bridges with bars; plus had a Yoko Ono-ish meddling wife. Fired.

Second drummer - Loved to play gigs. Did not like to show up to practice. Also found out he loved the gigs so much because they helped pay for his crack habit. Fired.

Third drummer - Refused to accept criticism/guidance, especially when it came to song tempos. Was ALWAYS a fight with him. So he would play songs too slow - just to be a dick - at gigs. He actually quit in the midst of one of our fights about tempo.

Fourth drummer - was working well. Seemed like a good guy. Then he just stopped coming to practice and wouldn't return our calls. Arrested earlier this year for raping a 70-year-old woman.

Fifth drummer - first drummer came back. Didn't last. Same reasons (minus the wife - she left him for an old high school friend she found on facebook)

Sixth drummer - current drummer - third drummer came back. Figured after eight years he'd have his schit together and be more mature. Turns out it's the same old crap, but worse. He an addict of some sort, but I can't figure out what. Not learning the new material and we have a gig 2 weeks from this Friday. He is playing that gig and will be fired the next day.

Drummer number seven is learning the material now. Seems like a good guy. Married, career, house, child, doesn't have dreams of conquering the music world by playing 15 year old alternative rock covers. Fingers crossed.

My bass player is in another project (a country band, of all things) and he's having similar issues with THAT drummer.

I post this wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with musicians - not just drummers. I know bassists can be pains in the ass, too.

Not everyone can be perfect like the lead singer.

Share your story if you care to ...

Edited by Gugny

Bassists aren't a pain they're just !@#$ing weird or downright !@#$ing crazy.

Lead singers are more concerned about how they look than how they sound

Lead guitarists are egotistical !@#$s

Rhythm guitarists don't talk

Keyboard players are frustrated Mozart wannabees

Drummers are the level headed ones in the band

And roadies? They !@#$ing rock!

My bass player is a little crazy, but he's got a heart of gold.

He was just kicked out of a band whose drummer used to drum for Blue Oyster Cult (1985-1987) and there couldn't be a more arrogant prick on earth if everyone tried their hardest for a year straight.

His name gets the band gigs, but they suck. Lame set list with less-than-average talent outside of his drumming - which, due to the lame set list - is never on display.

It's very rare for me to knock another band, but that guy (drummer) is a class A jerk.

Tip to all you kids out there. Before you light the salt peter and sugar mixture you have for some pyrotechnics make sure that the fire ball that shoots from the can does not shoot higher than the ceiling of the cellar that your gig is in. We almost pulled a Great White way before Great White was Great White.

I've worked with some drummers that are off the wall nuts. But, also worked with some that are awesome drummers, and even better friends.

I think part of rock drummers are crazy thing is also part urban legend enhanced by spinal tap, Keith Moon, & Bonzo to name just a few.

Sid Bernstien's recent death had us talking about his outrageous offer to the Beatles around 74 when he offered them 120 million for a single show that would have been simulcast around the world. Paul and John actually gave reasons why they wouldn't do it. Some may remember SNL's Lorne Micheal's spoof of that offer when he offered the Beatles $3000 to do 3 songs on SNL. It almost happened when Harrison showed up on the set. And, coincidentally Paul was at the Dakota with Lennon,(last time they were together) they thought of taking a cab over to 30 rock to do it. George got the check. But the laugh was when Micheal's said. And I'm paraphrasing here. "Hey look I got NBC to up the offer to $3200, you can split it up 25% each or you can give the drummer less". I guess the point is drummers get no respect.

Had practice tonight with the outgoing drummer. His tempo was horrible for a good third of the songs (we went through 20 tonight). The message was succinct. This needs to be faster, or, this needs to be slower.

He immediately put his dukes up, started yelling and defending his tempo. So we decided to record ourselves, play 3-4 songs, then listen back. This was for both tempo and harmonies, mainly.

He was all over the place. Then, when we tried discussing it, he just started rambling like a homeless drunk. Having a conversation with exactly no one, but not shutting up.

I don't know what drug causes that behavior, but he's on it.

Gig on the 6th and he's gone.

Had practice tonight with the outgoing drummer. His tempo was horrible for a good third of the songs (we went through 20 tonight). The message was succinct. This needs to be faster, or, this needs to be slower.

He immediately put his dukes up, started yelling and defending his tempo. So we decided to record ourselves, play 3-4 songs, then listen back. This was for both tempo and harmonies, mainly.

He was all over the place. Then, when we tried discussing it, he just started rambling like a homeless drunk. Having a conversation with exactly no one, but not shutting up.

I don't know what drug causes that behavior, but he's on it.

Gig on the 6th and he's gone.

A drummer who cant keep tempo?? Wow I teach my wife tempo for her violin recitals Too bad I'm not in your area. What kind of music do you play?

I've worked with some drummers that are off the wall nuts. But, also worked with some that are awesome drummers, and even better friends.

Worst part about this is that we love this guy. He is just a shell of his former self. Last time we played together, he had a great job a great head on his shoulder and was a very good drummer (minus the tempo issues, which were never every song). He will be heartbroken and so will we.

A drummer who cant keep tempo?? Wow I teach my wife tempo for her violin recitals Too bad I'm not in your area. What kind of music do you play?

90s alternative rock. Blink, nirvana, incubus, rhcp, stp, pearl jam, lit, eve 6, green day, live, everclear, etc.

Worst part about this is that we love this guy. He is just a shell of his former self. Last time we played together, he had a great job a great head on his shoulder and was a very good drummer (minus the tempo issues, which were never every song). He will be heartbroken and so will we.

90s alternative rock. Blink, nirvana, incubus, rhcp, stp, pearl jam, lit, eve 6, green day, live, everclear, etc.

And his tempo isn't all over the place within a song ... He just thinks some songs are faster/slower than they really are.

Drums are the key to the entire band, really. If they can't keep tempo or time, then you are going to suck. It doesn't matter how good the other members are.

I feel for you man. This is why I got out of that game, I can't deal with trying to figure out who's going to show up on acid, who's not going to show up at all, and if anyone is going to show up to hear us play!

Now, I only gig with my brothers, and you can't fire them!

Edited by TheMadCap

Drums are the key to the entire band, really. If they can't keep tempo or time, then you are going to suck. It doesn't matter how good the other members are.

I feel for you man. This is why I got out of that game, I can't deal with trying to figure out who's going to show up on acid, who's not going to show up at all, and if anyone is going to show up to hear us play!

Now, I only gig with my brothers, and you can't fire them!

I'm reading Gegg Allman's autobiography and he said the right foot of the drummer and the right hand if the bass player are the keys.