Drummers - They're All Crazy

Gugny

I heard one choked on his own vomit. Well they weren't sure I it was his vomit. You can't dust for vomit.

If there is a better movie on a rock band, and the lifestyle I need the name of it!

I had the pleasure of seeing them at the Warfield for a benefit concert back in the day. They did the whole schtick they were great. And surprisingly competent on their instruments. I forgot who played drums though.

I'm reading Gegg Allman's autobiography and he said the right foot of the drummer and the right hand if the bass player are the keys.

I read it too. It was ok, but man, does Gregg sound like a tool. They made a mistake IMO by having the book read like he's actually speaking to you...

I read it too. It was ok, but man, does Gregg sound like a tool. They made a mistake IMO by having the book read like he's actually speaking to you...

That's what makes it good. If you're going to read about the history of a band and the life of one of the founding members I'd rather it sound like he was sitting in the room with me shooting the ****.

Why do you say he sounds like a tool?

• 3 weeks later...

Fired the drummer last night.

We already played with his replacement a couple weeks ago because we felt this coming.

First real practice with the new drummer is Monday night. He seems sane. This should be refreshingly different.

It's partially correct. However I was never a dick. The rest of the band treated me as :worthy: due to my flawless timing and beat.

The new guy hits the drums nice and hard. I think the guy we fired is a more technically sound drummer, but as I said in earlier posts, he plays too many songs at the incorrect tempo.

During the gig last weekend, I had to correct his speed on at least 5 or 6 songs.

Then his throne fell apart at the end of a song. He sits there and tries to put it back together, which was understandable. Well after a minute, it was clear the thing was not going to be repaired quickly. We had a couple more songs to finish the set.

This bar is VERY rigid as far as the times of the sets are concerned. I've never been part of that before (but I've been out of the game for 8 years or so). So the bouncer hands the drummer a milk crate.

The drummer proceeds to try to balance the seat part of the throne (now detached) on the top of the milk crate.

It looked like an SNL skit. So I said, "Mike, just sit on the crate." The guitarist said, "Mike, just sit on the crate." Falls on deaf ears.

The bouncer comes to the stage and said, "sit on the !@#$ing crate and play."

What a mess.

The new guy hits the drums nice and hard. I think the guy we fired is a more technically sound drummer, but as I said in earlier posts, he plays too many songs at the incorrect tempo.

During the gig last weekend, I had to correct his speed on at least 5 or 6 songs.

Then his throne fell apart at the end of a song. He sits there and tries to put it back together, which was understandable. Well after a minute, it was clear the thing was not going to be repaired quickly. We had a couple more songs to finish the set.

This bar is VERY rigid as far as the times of the sets are concerned. I've never been part of that before (but I've been out of the game for 8 years or so). So the bouncer hands the drummer a milk crate.

The drummer proceeds to try to balance the seat part of the throne (now detached) on the top of the milk crate.

It looked like an SNL skit. So I said, "Mike, just sit on the crate." The guitarist said, "Mike, just sit on the crate." Falls on deaf ears.

The bouncer comes to the stage and said, "sit on the !@#$ing crate and play."

What a mess.

I just have a hard time picturing a drummer that can't keep time. I'm a human metronome for my wife when she plays violin.

BTW I hit my drum real hard too. I've been known to break cymbals. :cry:

I just have a hard time picturing a drummer that can't keep time. I'm a human metronome for my wife when she plays violin.

BTW I hit my drum real hard too. I've been known to break cymbals. :cry:

It's not that he can't keep time. He just can't remember the correct tempo of the songs. He's consistent once the song starts.

I know you've kick drummed him to the curb but did you ever try having him count off before the song started.

He does count off. But when it's a gig, you can't stop him, correct him, then have him count off again. We did that enough in practice. So I would quickly, before his count-off, quietly snap my fingers with the correct tempo so he'd get it.

That's where the ignorance came in. It's not so much that he can't play the correct tempo; it's more that he refuses to. That explains why it only happens with a handful of songs. He digs his heels in and won't play the tempo I ask him to play.

He's just a dick.

Last night was not supposed to be the night he got booted. We just wanted to talk to him about our concerns. Level with him.

He got all sorts of belligerent, rude ... downright mean.

I got up and went upstairs because I was close to just tell him to get the !@#$ out. I didn't want that to happen.

After 20 minutes of cooling down, I went back down and he was still at it. Finally I just said, "it's not gonna work. it's over. sorry."

Well ... he got a !@#$ing DWI last night.

Of course, I get a text from one of the other guys saying we are partially to blame.

I say bull ****. He's 39-years-old. I'm not taking the blame for him getting popped. Not to mention, he drives drunk nearly every day.

Like I need more guilt out of this mother!@#$er. GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, I get a text from one of the other guys saying we are partially to blame.

I say bull ****. He's 39-years-old. I'm not taking the blame for him getting popped. Not to mention, he drives drunk nearly every day.

Wow! So much drama! Good thing he didn't call you to bail him out! ;-)

Wow! So much drama! Good thing he didn't call you to bail him out! ;-)

If I had the money, and he called, I'd bail him out in a NY minute. The guy is a mess. He needs to get his **** together. I am concerned about him.

If I had the money, and he called, I'd bail him out in a NY minute. The guy is a mess. He needs to get his **** together. I am concerned about him.

Yeah... I hear you. I would do the same. Seems very love-hate? Easy to be detached but, if he needed you... You would be there! I don't blame you. Sounds like he really needs to get together.

Is he married? Children?

Could have been worse. He could have choked on his own vomit. Drummers do that way too often.

Yeah... I hear you. I would do the same. Seems very love-hate? Easy to be detached but, if he needed you... You would be there! I don't blame you. Sounds like he really needs to get together.

Is he married? Children?

Not married. No children. His girlfriend, however, is married with children.

This - along with getting kicked out of the band - needs to serve as a serious wake-up call.