Metal fans...is this anything?

PromoTheRobot

I am not a fan of metal like this.

That said .. I really liked this tune.

I think it's mixed pretty well. I like the harmonies.

My only knocks:

In the "singing" parts (with the harmonies), they come off a little "Linkin Park"-ish ... and I absolutely cannot stand Linkin Park.

The bass lines could be a tad busier. I'm cool with basic, but he could do a little more.

The guitar "solo" could have used more balls and it's mixed a little low, in my opinion.

The rest of the song, however, rocks, as far as I'm concerned.

Good for these guys for recording originals and gigging with them.

Best of luck to them!

I am not a fan of metal like this.

That said .. I really liked this tune.

I think it's mixed pretty well. I like the harmonies.

My only knocks:

In the "singing" parts (with the harmonies), they come off a little "Linkin Park"-ish ... and I absolutely cannot stand Linkin Park.

The bass lines could be a tad busier. I'm cool with basic, but he could do a little more.

The guitar "solo" could have used more balls and it's mixed a little low, in my opinion.

The rest of the song, however, rocks, as far as I'm concerned.

Good for these guys for recording originals and gigging with them.

Best of luck to them!

These guys are on their way. They were just voted #2 metal band in New England by some magazine. They play the side stages at festivals like Vans Warped.

PTR

These guys are on their way. They were just voted #2 metal band in New England by some magazine. They play the side stages at festivals like Vans Warped.

PTR

As I mentioned in my Peach Festival thread I'm reading Gregg Allman's autobiography. It's very cool to hear about their start. From playing high school gigs, to dive bars, to bigger clubs, to theaters, to opening for the Doors at the Whiskey in LA, to one of the biggest grossing touring bands out there. It's a lot of hard work putting up with a lot of bull **** but if you make it it can be fantastic. The band I was in never made it out of the gargage, high school gig stage but even that was a blast.

Edited by Chef Jim

PTR

It's a tough genre. There's a lot of competition and, due to the nature of the music, it pretty much all sounds the same. Not a lot of ways to differentiate your band from the others.

I wish them the best of luck. I have a lot of friends who write/record/perform their own tunes. The most talented very, very rarely are the ones who make it. Nearly never. They have to do it for the love of doing it.

It's a tough genre. There's a lot of competition and, due to the nature of the music, it pretty much all sounds the same. Not a lot of ways to differentiate your band from the others.

I wish them the best of luck. I have a lot of friends who write/record/perform their own tunes. The most talented very, very rarely are the ones who make it. Nearly never. They have to do it for the love of doing it.

That's why I'm not a fan at all. When you can't tell one band from the next what's the point. And I have listened because music is big in my life and because my nephew is so in to it I've listened to a lot of it. Or at least tried to listen to it.

I suppose I should be expected to comment here claiming to be a man of metal. B-)

For the sub genre of metal I would put this in, screamo with some melody, it is pretty decent. Definitely has some solid rocking metal going on at it's core but as other's mentioned nothing to really made it distinctly stand out from the tons of bands I have heard like this too.

I think the mixing could have used a bit of tweaking, the lead guitar was a little low right at the start when it kicked in and as gungy mentioned during the solo.

But as far as this type of music goes the band sounded tight. With a little luck I could see them on a second stage at Ozzfest or something along those lines and from there who knows.

Whew. I thought it was just me who thought that.

But who am I to judge? I like the metronome-like Krautrock stuff like Fujiya & Miyagi. You can easily say that stuff all sounds the same, too.

The great thing about being a band these days is promoting yourself on the internet. You don't need a record label to get your music out. I once told him that the best thing his band can do is retain all the rights to their music. Never sign away anything.

PTR

That's why I'm not a fan at all. When you can't tell one band from the next what's the point. And I have listened because music is big in my life and because my nephew is so in to it I've listened to a lot of it. Or at least tried to listen to it.

This is always the basis of my argument any time I discuss/debate "the best guitar players," topic.

If I listen to a guitar riff/solo for, say, 5 seconds - and can't determine who it is ... then the player doesn't even belong in the conversation.

I once told him that the best thing his band can do is retain all the rights to their music. Never sign away anything.

PTR

Best story to illustrate how important that is, is Dolly Parton's story about when Elvis' people contacted her people about Elvis recording, "I Will Always Love You." Elvis required that the rights be signed over to him prior to recording it. Dolly said, "thanks, but no thanks. My songs are my songs."

When Whitney Houston did her rendition, it padded Dolly's purse instead of Elvis' estate's wallet.

She is a smart woman.

I'm a metal fan, but I can't say I liked this much (then again, I haven't liked much of any metal newer than about 20 years ago). The mix was very muddy - hard to differentiate anything - it just all muddled together. I'm also not a big fan of the vocals, but I'm not much of a cookie monster guy - sing, damnit! Seems like they tried to do a bit of the Killswitch Engage thing with some melodic parts, but that's not that original anymore.

Kudos to them for putting together a band and performing - more than I can do, I just wasn't that into it (but I'm an old school thrash guy).

Not my cup of tea. I enjoy metal more than it seems most people on this board. That said it had a distinct Drowning Pool "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" sound to me. The "melody" was anything I really dug either. That said I can tell they are talented musicians it just seems they tried to force to much into this song.

As for the "it all sounds the same crowd" you sound like a bunch of old fogies!!! :nana: Metalcore is admittedly my favorite and bands such as Killswitch Engage and Bullet for my Valentine reside heavily in my playlist. Just a sample of each....

http://youtu.be/CgiXVlW-ICE

This is a small sampling of As Daylight Dies (the album this is off is spectacular from start to finish)

It is making me put it in as 2 separate posts but here is a good video from Bullet for my Valentine.

http://youtu.be/TVad3YOO9eo

Admittedly they are much more screamo but both are in the same genre. Just a small sample to broaden your horizons (if interested that is)

Edited by section122

I dont know man, I have metal around the house in various places. Whether it be a door knob, or dishwasher, or what have you, none of my metal makes that noise. You must have one noisy house! :nana:

I'm from the 90's metal child scene, so cookie wasnt here just then as per taste. Some good, some bad, the vocal goes from linkin to cookie to a bad Kind Diamond. 3 lyricists is 1 too many, Lose the bad King Diamond!

Not my cup of tea. I enjoy metal more than it seems most people on this board. That said it had a distinct Drowning Pool "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" sound to me. The "melody" was anything I really dug either. That said I can tell they are talented musicians it just seems they tried to force to much into this song.

As for the "it all sounds the same crowd" you sound like a bunch of old fogies!!! :nana: Metalcore is admittedly my favorite and bands such as Killswitch Engage and Bullet for my Valentine reside heavily in my playlist. Just a sample of each....

This is a small sampling of As Daylight Dies (the album this is off is spectacular from start to finish)

It is making me put it in as 2 separate posts but here is a good video from Bullet for my Valentine.

Admittedly they are much more screamo but both are in the same genre. Just a small sample to broaden your horizons (if interested that is)

Great choices 122.

Also a big fan of KSE and I agree, As Daylight Dies is fantastic all the way through. :thumbsup: