welfare versus minimum wage

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with your example it that it seems to presume that someone should expect a 'livable' wage for a low-skilled and/or entry-level position. people need to get it through their heads that low-skill and entry-level jobs will NEVER pay enough to support anyone, let alone a family, and they never should. if you take a job at a McDonald's, you will need to work your way up into management before you can begin to earn a decent wage. if you're a checkout clerk at a grocery store, you will never earn a living comfortable enough to provide for a family. the same goes for Wal-Mart employees.....work your way into management if you want to keep working for them and still earn something decent. welfare payments should never pay more than minimum wage, period.

I think you are proving his point. There are no where near enough jobs for everyone to support themselves. Our economic system does not create enough jobs for people

I think you are proving his point. There are no where near enough jobs for everyone to support themselves. Our economic system does not create enough jobs for people

But job growth is booming and the economy is fine??? Remember??

As long as Americans continue to spend more than they make the problem of making ends meet will persist.

http://dailycaller.c...in-most-states/ this article clearly concludes that welfare payments are too high in the states mentioned. might it be that minimum wage is too low? a compromise opinion would be that both are true. if you accept that minimum wage is too low, aren't taxpayers paying more for their "cheap" burgers and wal mart goods, indirectly via taxes and welfare? aren't we subsidizing low paying industries?

Of course we are. I would be more sympathetic subsidizing low pay labor in industries like Agriculture, which we do, but when I see Walmart's hier's having more asset wealth that exceeds the bottom 40% of all Americans, I start to question that system... on the other hand, Americans don't really care, Walmart and McDonalds parking lots, filthy parking lots, are always overflowing with people buying garbage products fom China and poor quality cheap food.

Theoretically Americans could seek out and choose to spend their money at retailers that pay better wages, thereby rewarding business' that make it their priority to pay a living wage... but again, Americans don;t care as long as it is cheap, cheap, cheap... little do they relaize they pay for Cheap at some point, throught taxes that find welfare or some other program.

But job growth is booming and the economy is fine??? Remember??

As long as Americans continue to spend more than they make the problem of making ends meet will persist.

Isnt that the irony of the situation, the US economy depends on most people being stupid and living above their means or relying on credit. If we had a Nation of budgeters and savers, we would be in serious trouble.

our economy is not static - wages, prices, and job opportunities ebb & flow with the state of the economy.

Too many people confuse "hard work" with "skilled work."

Yes, exactly. Because you have an education or work hard does not mean your skill set is scarce or in demand. My wife bills 3 times and hour what other nurses of her age and experience make if they are decently high in management, aside from C-Level Nursing Positions.

Its a world of experts, the more expert the more you make...

I'm curious as to what you believe creates jobs?

Magic job pixies create unskilled positions. But if you want a good job, you have to wait for the Job Fairy to leave it under your pillow...

...which he'll get around to as soon as he's done golfing.

I'm curious as to what you believe creates jobs?

What, like a single thing?

why, our government, of course.

It doesn't???

Magic job pixies create unskilled positions. But if you want a good job, you have to wait for the Job Fairy to leave it under your pillow...

...which he'll get around to as soon as he's done golfing.

You probably golf with the job fairy

Maybe we create too many people to fit the jobs that are available.

We???

Government just should create no jobs??? How in the world would that work, or, ummm... not work?

No the government should not create jobs. That is not the function of government. How would that work? I'll let you figure that one out Sue.

Government just should create no jobs??? How in the world would that work, or, ummm... not work?

The government employs people who are then paid with tax dollars (minus a considerable percentage which is consumed in bureaucratic expense). There is no net wealth creation. Government as job creator is taking $5 out of your left pocket and then putting $4 back in your left pocket.

Sure, the government invests in technology and infrastructure which can create a flow of temporary contracting positions or sometimes even aid in developing new industries. But how often do they recover their investment in grand public works? Their track record in picking emerging tech companies has certainly been piss poor over the past decade.

Government as direct employer is not job creation in my opinion. Downstream effects of government investment and subsidies, very murky. Gross over simplification for sure, but thats may brief take.

The government employs people who are then paid with tax dollars (minus a considerable percentage which is consumed in bureaucratic expense). There is no net wealth creation. Government as job creator is taking $5 out of your left pocket and then putting $4 back in your left pocket.

Sure, the government invests in technology and infrastructure which can create a flow of temporary contracting positions or sometimes even aid in developing new industries. But how often do they recover their investment in grand public works? Their track record in picking emerging tech companies has certainly been piss poor over the past decade.

Government as direct employer is not job creation in my opinion. Downstream effects of government investment and subsidies, very murky. Gross over simplification for sure, but thats may brief take.

thats really not true. A Govenment paid employee can take they money and invest an grow rich if they know what their doing... and in turn pay more taxes and spend that wealth over time... to consider Government employment to always being a losing proposition for taxpayers is pretty shortsighted.... If your argument is there are too many employees and lavish benefits in many braches of Government that shoft form the private sector investment then that can be esily argued.

better yet, why not enlighten us on the mechanics of effective governent job creation so we can all understand the issue as well as you do?

What, like a single thing?

The answer we were looking for is: "demand".

The government cannot create jobs, because it does not generate wealth (government provides services, which consume wealth, and it's necessary infrastructure projects opperate at a loss). What government can choose to do, or not do, is create conditions under which the private sector can prosper, stimulating demand for both goods and labor, which leads to higher productivity and lower rates of employment, those lower rates of unemployment empowering workers whose labor and skills have become naturally scare under favorable economic conditions which leads to an increase in wages and benefits as employers compete for their services.

thats really not true. A Govenment paid employee can take they money and invest an grow rich if they know what their doing...

when the government taxes, they are taking money directly out of the economy. all that money that could have been spent on other things never sees the light of day.....it just goes straight into the government coffers. the money that gets paid to federal employees does make its way back into the economy, but only after a large portion of it is spent being handled by the bureaucrats that redistribute that money. it's an extremely inefficient way to return tax money to the economy.