welfare versus minimum wage

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/study-welfare-pays-more-than-work-in-most-states/ this article clearly concludes that welfare payments are too high in the states mentioned. might it be that minimum wage is too low? a compromise opinion would be that both are true. if you accept that minimum wage is too low, aren't taxpayers paying more for their "cheap" burgers and wal mart goods, indirectly via taxes and welfare? aren't we subsidizing low paying industries?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with your example it that it seems to presume that someone should expect a 'livable' wage for a low-skilled and/or entry-level position. people need to get it through their heads that low-skill and entry-level jobs will NEVER pay enough to support anyone, let alone a family, and they never should. if you take a job at a McDonald's, you will need to work your way up into management before you can begin to earn a decent wage. if you're a checkout clerk at a grocery store, you will never earn a living comfortable enough to provide for a family. the same goes for Wal-Mart employees.....work your way into management if you want to keep working for them and still earn something decent. welfare payments should never pay more than minimum wage, period.

the problem with your example it that it seems to presume that someone should expect a 'livable' wage for a low-skilled and/or entry-level position. people need to get it through their heads that low-skill and entry-level jobs will NEVER pay enough to support anyone, let alone a family, and they never should. if you take a job at a McDonald's, you will need to work your way up into management before you can begin to earn a decent wage. if you're a checkout clerk at a grocery store, you will never earn a living comfortable enough to provide for a family. the same goes for Wal-Mart employees.....work your way into management if you want to keep working for them and still earn something decent. welfare payments should never pay more than minimum wage, period.

one word response: why?

http://dailycaller.c...in-most-states/ this article clearly concludes that welfare payments are too high in the states mentioned. might it be that minimum wage is too low? a compromise opinion would be that both are true. if you accept that minimum wage is too low, aren't taxpayers paying more for their "cheap" burgers and wal mart goods, indirectly via taxes and welfare? aren't we subsidizing low paying industries?

I reply to this your post with this simple response. Minimum wage is not too low.

I'll let you figure out the rest.

Really are you this dumb? The incentive to not work should never be higher than the incentive to work.

and are you blind to all other possibilities? it wouldn't be if minimum wage was at a living wage level. there is precedent. it works elsewhere.

and are you blind to all other possibilities? it wouldn't be if minimum wage was at a living wage level.

there is precedent. it works elsewhere.

That would be the part where you give an example......................

one word response: why?

why? because if welfare pays more than minimum wage, there is no incentive for able-bodied people to opt out of welfare. why would anyone want to work for minimum wage when they can earn more by not working? I'm not trying to be a smart@ss....it just seems so plainly obvious that it's hard for me to understand why this is such a mystery to so many.

One of my coworkers has a big exercise ball in their office. Maybe half hour ago or so, a few of us were sitting in there and somebody commented that it was made in China and wondered why America can't make a big orange rubber ball.

Perhaps minimum wage is not too low

Perhaps the cost of labor in the United States is too high to be able to bring more workers into the workforce.

An increase of the minimum wage would not work, in any way, to eliminate poverty.

Any wage increases are immediately passed along in the form of higher prices, which the minimum wage earner must also pay. He'll have more dollars, but his dollars won't go as far as they once had. Additionally, working class and middle class workers will also be subjected to higher prices; and those currently living paycheck-to-paycheck will begin living roughly paycheck-to-Wednesday, having too much week and not enough money.

Additionally, higher prices will have the same effect they always do: decreasing demand, and causing a weakening of an already fragile economy. A weakening economy will cause more job los, leading to more poverty.

Ultimately your solution helps no one, and does irreparable harm to those you are trying to help.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Once again minimum wage is not intended to be a living wage.

says who? the intentions of who? who benefits from a low minimum wage? oh right, that's who says so. what would the unemployment rate be if you removed all minimum wage jobs? and how would those folks now employed in miniomum wage jobs or unemployed in my hyopotheticalk survive? well they wouldn't so taxpayers support them, in effect subsidizing their employers.

Edited by birdog1960

says who? the intentions of who? who benefits from a low minimum wage? oh right, that's who says so. what would the unemployment rate be if you removed all minimum wage jobs? and how would those folks now employed in miniomum wage jobs or unemployed in my hyopotheticalk survive? well they wouldn't so taxpayers support them, in effect subsidizing their employers.

Eliminate both, minimum wage and welfare. Problem solved.

Once again minimum wage is not intended to be a living wage.

Please tell that to President Obama. Month after month we see unemployment/jobs reports indicating that only part-time low wage jobs are being created.

There are a lot of Americans who have no other choice to but take several part-time low wage jobs to survive.

http://inplainsight.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/21/20052531-people-think-everyone-who-is-poor-gets-welfare-and-its-just-not-true-how-the-myth-of-the-welfare-queen-died?lite

Interesting read. I

Quote:

"Most experts say that even in a low-wage job, a single mother is better off financially than on welfare because welfare payments are so low. In July 2011, the maximum monthly TANF payment for a family of three ranged from $170 to $923 a month, depending on the state, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."

Why is it that every answer to every liberal problem is to throw other people's money at the problem?

A job isn't a right. You earn a job. If you suck at work -- you know, posting pictures of yourself licking taco shells - you get a sucky paycheck, ifyou get one at all. You work hard, commit to growth and be responsible, you get paid accordingly. Forgive me for going all stuckincincy on you, but I started washing dishes and busing tables at the age of 11. Hated it. Watched the waitresses getting more money. Realized their job was easy. Learned to do it. Waited tables. Made more money. By the time I chose to go to college, I washed dishes, waited tables, tended bar and worked construction to earn my keep for four years while bettering my prospects.

Everything I just wrote must read to you like "May I mommy dogface to the banana patch."

Why is it that every answer to every liberal problem is to throw other people's money at the problem?

A job isn't a right. You earn a job. If you suck at work -- you know, posting pictures of yourself licking taco shells - you get a sucky paycheck, ifyou get one at all. You work hard, commit to growth and be responsible, you get paid accordingly. Forgive me for going all stuckincincy on you, but I started washing dishes and busing tables at the age of 11. Hated it. Watched the waitresses getting more money. Realized their job was easy. Learned to do it. Waited tables. Made more money. By the time I chose to go to college, I washed dishes, waited tables, tended bar and worked construction to earn my keep for four years while bettering my prospects.

Everything I just wrote must read to you like "May I mommy dogface to the banana patch."

Probably. And you'd still choose to watch TV with Fabio.

http://inplainsight....queen-died?lite

Interesting read. I

Quote:

"Most experts say that even in a low-wage job, a single mother is better off financially than on welfare because welfare payments are so low. In July 2011, the maximum monthly TANF payment for a family of three ranged from $170 to $923 a month, depending on the state, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."

How great would it be if we had fewer single mothers? How great would it be if we didn't provide a federal financial incentive program to increase the number of illegitimate children single mothers have.

But no. The problem isn't all the out-of-wedlock births and the family tradition of living on SNAP. It's the minimum wage. Yeah, that's the problem. <_<

Probably. And you'd still choose to watch TV with Fabio.

Yes, but I'm paying my own way.