Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a problem with him asking for this? No, he isn't the top free safety in the league (yet). But the agent's job is to sell the player and get as much $ as possible. Why not ask... someone may pay it. He is worth as much as someone is willing to pay him. Is Joe Flacco the top QB in the league? No... just the last one to get paid.

As I said, I agree with the approach of both the player and the team...the link was provided to refute the idea that Byrd asking to be the highest paid S in the league was the mantra of posters with an axe to grind.

That is really no sign of bad blood, or wanting a trade, or not wanting to play for the Bills at all. Players are confident in their abilities. Byrd was immediately a very good player and has gotten to be a complete player. He can truly believe, with good reason, that he is the best safety in the league, or at the very least, deserves to be paid as the best safety in the league because he is young, and healthy, and getting better, and ascending. That is how players are paid, based partly on past production and partly on future probability and possibility. His agent, Parker, likely thinks the same. The Bills, on the other hand, have a number they think he is worth, which is significantly less.

Personally, I would offer Byrd top 2-3 money, and he likely would sign the long term deal. But there is a very easy to believe scenario that the team and the player are far apart in their numbers, but that has nothing to do with asking for a trade, or bad blood, or wanting to stay or not stay.

The idea of a trade as a possibility is really a ridiculous story, IMO. Of course he would be open to a trade if the team trading for him was to give him the contract he thinks he deserves, and seems to want him significantly and value him more than the Bills do.

Again, I never said it was, see my above response.

What if Bryd looks lost in this defense ? Searcy does at times . Holding out might be a smart move on the Bills part .

I wonder if Byrd straight up slides in for Searcy or if he goes in for Williams and Williams slides into Searcy's spot. Contrary to popular opinion, the safeties in this scheme aren't always interchangeable. More often than not they are lining up weak/strong, farther/closer, and with deeper/shallower drops. And it sure seems that Searcy has had the bulk of TE coverage responsibilities as well. All of this suggests Searcy is acting as the more traditional SS in this system.

GO BILLS!!!

I wonder if Byrd straight up slides in for Searcy or if he goes in for Williams and Williams slides into Searcy's spot. Contrary to popular opinion, the safeties in this scheme aren't always interchangeable. More often than not they are lining up weak/strong, farther/closer, and with deeper/shallower drops. And it sure seems that Searcy has had the bulk of TE coverage responsibilities as well. All of this suggests Searcy is acting as the more traditional SS in this system.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm pretty sure that I have heard Pettine himself, as well as the safeties, say that the two positions are mostly interchangeable, AND, that one would line up closer to the line (the SS) and one would more often play deeper (the FS).

It's probably a semantic argument, IMO. That the calls, and duties, and understanding of them were very similar, and that on X number of plays it would be the FS's responsibility to do Z and on Y number of plays it would be the SS's responsibility. That sounds a little contradictory but I don't think it is.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/15/jairus-byrd-nfls-highest-paid-safety-buffalo-bills/

Did Sully just happen to conveniently miss all the reports about Byrd wanting to be the highest paid safety in the league? Or does he just know better and know exactly what The Bills offered and what Byrd would have accepted?

Another winner of a column from everybody's favorite asshat Sully.

When I saw the headline, I already knew who wrote the column before ever reading it.

I'm pretty sure that I have heard Pettine himself, as well as the safeties, say that the two positions are mostly interchangeable, AND, that one would line up closer to the line (the SS) and one would more often play deeper (the FS).

It's probably a semantic argument, IMO. That the calls, and duties, and understanding of them were very similar, and that on X number of plays it would be the FS's responsibility to do Z and on Y number of plays it would be the SS's responsibility. That sounds a little contradictory but I don't think it is.

That was my understanding as well.

As I said, I agree with the approach of both the player and the team...the link was provided to refute the idea that Byrd asking to be the highest paid S in the league was the mantra of posters with an axe to grind.

Again, I never said it was, see my above response.

I was really referring to the comments underneath the tweet saying he isn't the top FS, knew you weren't refuting it

I don't doubt any of that. As I discussed last week with jboyst, what I've observed over the first two games is that the majority of the time, Aaron Williams is lining up on the weak side, at deeper depths, and taking deeper drops than Searcy who is lining up on the TE side, closer to the LOS, and is usually covering that TE when necessary. All of which indicates to me that the majority of the time so far, Searcy has been playing the more traditional SS.

But the sub packages and various offensive looks often have them at equal depths pre-snap. But it still looks like Williams is his center fielder out there for the most part. Which makes sense given he's faster than Searcy and not as bulky.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I don't doubt any of that. As I discussed last week with jboyst, what I've observed over the first two games is that the majority of the time, Aaron Williams is lining up on the weak side, at deeper depths, and taking deeper drops than Searcy who is lining up on the TE side, closer to the LOS, and is usually covering that TE when necessary. All of which indicates to me that the majority of the time so far, Searcy has been playing the more traditional SS.

But the sub packages and various offensive looks often have them at equal depths pre-snap. But it still looks like Williams is his center fielder out there for the most part. Which makes sense given he's faster than Searcy and not as bulky.

GO BILLS!!!

Right. And there is really no question that Byrd will be the FS and Williams will be the SS; Byrd will more often the center fielder and Williams more often closer to or in the box. That alone makes it a more traditional designation and difference between the two.

Right. And there is really no question that Byrd will be the FS and Williams will be the SS; Byrd will more often the center fielder and Williams more often closer to or in the box. That alone makes it a more traditional designation and difference between the two.

Which brings me full circle to the question of A Williams sliding over to Searcy's spot. Can he be that traditional SS when he has to be? Guess we'll find out.

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd has signed his franchise tender..per twitter

Gonna just get uglier from here. The bridges are burned and they will either have to let him walk next year or tag him again and go through this again. Word is there is alot of ill will between the sides, probably mostly from Byrd's side, but those situations usually never get resolved. They say he is going to make sure he takes him time getting ready for the field, so he is going to try to screw the team anyway he can. He is a good player, but they would be better off without him if he turns into a cancer.

Perhaps some of them were, but they were ALL based on a real report from a local source:

https://twitter.com/...801383921500160

Benigni has no reason to lie

Thanks for providing that! It's literally the first "report" I've seen suggesting that. So maybe there is something to it. But I have to wonder who/how accurate his source is. Most of the stuff I've read, whether local or national, whether early in the process or very recently, has made it very clear that the author has no insight as to the particulars of the negotiations. Whoever Benigni's source is doesn't seem to have talked to anyone else. Or has talked to other reporters, but they chose not to use the info because either they didn't find the source credible enough or couldn't verify with a second source.

I haven't made any guesses about Byrd's demands during this process, because I can't claim to know. It's very plausible to me that he would want to be the highest-paid safety (or maybe just FS) in the NFL, and that the Bills wouldn't meet that demand. It's also very plausible to me that he'd be willing to accept a hair under what Dashon Goldson just got, but the Bills wouldn't meet that demand because they feel like the franchise tag gives them enough leverage. It's been a while since the Bills re-signed/extended one of their own players to a top-market contract. (They've re-signed/extended a lot of players recently, but I don't believe any of them were top 5 contracts for their position, and I wouldn't be surprised if none were top 10. Stevie was probably the closest.) Now, it's fair to point out that the Bills haven't exactly had a ton of top-value players to re-sign in the first place, but that doesn't tell us much. If Stevie had demanded top-five WR money instead of mid-tier WR money, would he still be a Bill? I dunno.

What I do know is that I'm concerned about what I've heard from the Bills since Byrd signed. On one hand, you have the Bills trying (and failing) to get a roster exemption for the first 2 weeks of the regular season and Whaley talking about how great extra roster spots are. On the other hand, you have Marrone talking about how little time it'll take Byrd to get up to speed and how he can't wait to get him in the lineup. Why the disconnect? These roster exemptions are typically for 2 weeks, so why did the Bills request a 4 week exemption?

I hope this isn't the case, but it really does strike me as a putative attempt to cost Byrd a couple of game checks. If that's the case, it would have had to have come from up high -- above Marrone and probably above Whaley as well. Candidates would be Brandon, Ralph, and (if the rumors are to be believed) Littman/Overdorf. I'm reminded somewhat of Angelo Crowell being placed on injured reserve right before the 2008 season, with the alleged reason being that the Bills needed a roster spot for week 1. (Note that Crowell's recovery from surgery did wind up being longer/more serious than first believed, but at no point during the initial round of explanations did the Bills suggest that Crowell would be out more than a couple weeks. I'm convinced that Crowell was placed on injured reserve to "stick it" to him for the timing of his surgery.)

It will be interesting to see how they deal with Spiller when he becomes a free agent providing he continues to produce like he has been.

If he does, I would hope the Bills dont mess around and sign him right away or re sign him before his contract is up.

CBF

After six seasons in the league, you would have to see what condition his small body is in before throwing money at Spiller. He appears to be turning the corner into being one of the best backs in the league, but with a few exceptions, running back careers aren't usually too long.

Gonna just get uglier from here. The bridges are burned and they will either have to let him walk next year or tag him again and go through this again. Word is there is alot of ill will between the sides, probably mostly from Byrd's side, but those situations usually never get resolved. They say he is going to make sure he takes him time getting ready for the field, so he is going to try to screw the team anyway he can. He is a good player, but they would be better off without him if he turns into a cancer.

Who's word?

He can take all the time he wants to get ready. If he's not the best player for the job, he won't play. If he doesn't play, he hurts his stock. Anyway, Byrd doesn't strike me as the type of player that would be that unprofessional while sticking it to his teammates.

GO BILLS!!!

Who's word?

He can take all the time he wants to get ready. If he's not the best player for the job, he won't play. If he doesn't play, he hurts his stock. Anyway, Byrd doesn't strike me as the type of player that would be that unprofessional while sticking it to his teammates.

GO BILLS!!!

yea - why he would hurt his own stock to get back at whaley doesnt make much sense to me and feels like fans wanting to be mad at him so they are grasping at any possible report that could be skewed to do so. while he may actually in the truth be angry and dumb, we as outsiders have been given no reason to believe that is the most likely situation other than our own frustration.

Who's word?

GO BILLS!!!

So you know Byrd better then the reporters and insiders do that hang around the team? I hope there are no problems, but Byrd has it in his mind he wants to be the highest paid safety, and the Bills don't think he should be. Only time will tell, but don't be surprised.

yea - why he would hurt his own stock to get back at whaley doesnt make much sense to me and feels like fans wanting to be mad at him so they are grasping at any possible report that could be skewed to do so. while he may actually in the truth be angry and dumb, we as outsiders have been given no reason to believe that is the most likely situation other than our own frustration.

I don't believe it is the fans that are putting this out because they are angry, it is media and insiders. There are several people reporting this, even from sites like NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000232635/article/jairus-byrd-open-to-being-traded-by-buffalo-bills

Several questions:

1) Who says the bridges are burned?

2) Who says there's ill will?

3) There are many instances of a guy reluctantly playing under the tag one year and signing a long-term deal the next. Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, Michael Vick, Dwayne Bowe all in the last 3 seasons.

4) On what are you basing his desire to screw the team no matter what? I read that the team is looking to get him ready as quickly as possible.

Several questions:

1) Who says the bridges are burned?

2) Who says there's ill will?

3) There are many instances of a guy reluctantly playing under the tag one year and signing a long-term deal the next. Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, Michael Vick, Dwayne Bowe all in the last 3 seasons.

4) On what are you basing his desire to screw the team no matter what? I read that the team is looking to get him ready as quickly as possible.

Who says theres ill will? Do you have electricity, a radio, a tv, internet? Really? I am sure the Bills do want him ready quickly, but he is gonna take his time. I don't believe I said he wanted to screw the team "no matter what." Those are you words, or someone else's besides mine.

http://www.nfl.com/n...y-buffalo-bills

Edited by BuffBill

Who says theres ill will? Do you have electricity, a radio, a tv, internet? Really?

http://www.nfl.com/n...y-buffalo-bills

Thanks for the link; I read that report, and then I also read a report from Buffalo Rumblings that indicated that it was likely Byrd's agent posturing with that comment. I'd like to hear what the player himself has to say.

And all condescension aside, what about the other 3 questions I asked you?

Thanks for the link; I read that report, and then I also read a report from Buffalo Rumblings that indicated that it was likely Byrd's agent posturing with that comment. I'd like to hear what the player himself has to say.

And all condescension aside, what about the other 3 questions I asked you?

As far as the other questions, like I said, I don't disagree that the BIlls are wanting to get him ready quickly, it is Byrd himself that is going to take his time. As far as the others, without spending the afternoon researching, I am not sure Vick ever played under the tag, he played under a one year deal he signed, which is way different. Also, now that Welker left New England, he hasn't had many kind words to say about Belicheat either.