Dustin Keller & Jairus Byrd...

cage

I didn't catch who the POS was that made that gutless "tackle", but it was a chickenspit, scumbag play and I hope the karmic retribution he has coming is particularly gruesome and exceedingly painful.

The guy blamed it on the new rules limiting contact with the head, much in the same way that other idiot Harrison did.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't catch who the POS was that made that gutless "tackle", but it was a chickenspit, scumbag play and I hope the karmic retribution he has coming is particularly gruesome and exceedingly painful.

I was listening to a bit of NFL Radio yesterday and heard Jim Miller say that he didn't have a problem with the hit. Also they were talking about the league being unrecognizable from when he played. I guess the guy that made the hit said afterwards the league should be more concerned about guys knees than their heads with rule changes.

Miller went on to say you cant blame a player as they are being fined if their hitting in the head, an rb cant lead with his head etc so this will be a natural effect of these changes.

That was a gruesomew devastating hit and I would think likely end the dudes career.

The second I saw a replay I knew that would be the bull **** excuse. But there is no reason in the world that defender couldn't have come in square with his head up and made a good hard tackle; he had plenty of time and space to do so. Instead he chose to attack a guys knees from the backside, in a preseason game no less.

I'm not big on rooting for injury but I hope that &*#@ gets both his knees shredded in practice tomorrow morning.

Right or wrong, the tackler's behavior was conditioned by the rules. I've lost track of the # of times I've seen a guy get flagged for putting a shoulder into someone's chest because at full speed the ref thought the helmets might have glanced each other.

The second I saw a replay I knew that would be the bull **** excuse. But there is no reason in the world that defender couldn't have come in square with his head up and made a good hard tackle; he had plenty of time and space to do so. Instead he chose to attack a guys knees from the backside, in a preseason game no less.

I'm not big on rooting for injury but I hope that &*#@ gets both his knees shredded in practice tomorrow morning.

he was fairly unapologetic about it in the clip i heard from post game too. essentially "whatever - clean tackle - not my problem" was the vibe i picked up from the soundbite shared on espn today.

he was fairly unapologetic about it in the clip i heard from post game too. essentially "whatever - clean tackle - not my problem" was the vibe i picked up from the soundbite shared on espn today.

Maybe he wasn't aware of the amount of damage he caused. FWIW, he was fairy apologetic on Twitter.

Maybe he wasn't aware of the amount of damage he caused. FWIW, he was fairy apologetic on Twitter.

thats good to hear. they also may have been playing a clip intentionally geared towards framing the debate on the changing hits with new nfl rules. it just didnt come across great. i dont expect guys to lose sleep over hard hits, but i do appreciate when they are aware of and caring about the impact they can have on each others lives.

I was listening to a bit of NFL Radio yesterday and heard Jim Miller say that he didn't have a problem with the hit. Also they were talking about the league being unrecognizable from when he played. I guess the guy that made the hit said afterwards the league should be more concerned about guys knees than their heads with rule changes.

Miller went on to say you cant blame a player as they are being fined if their hitting in the head, an rb cant lead with his head etc so this will be a natural effect of these changes.

That was a gruesomew devastating hit and I would think likely end the dudes career.

It's not a "bull **** excuse" at all. First of all, Keller is a tight end, and the smaller player (did you notice his number in the 30's) is not going to take on a guy outweighing him by taking his helmet across his chest. To do so he risks injuring himself. Secondly, defensive backs are always taught to take out larger players at their knees. Lastly, big hits, even legal hits, that come in high are getting flagged and fined. The NFL is forcing the hits to come in lower and this is the result.

The hit was far from cowardly, and was more than legal. The fact that Keller got hurt is a shame, but knee injuries have always been a part of the game, and will likely climb in volume and frequency with the league working to eliminate brain trauma associated with hits to the head; and to my way of thinking, it's not a bad trade off.

With that said, my prayers go out to Dustin Keller for a speedy and full recovery.

Well, then, he should have signed a long term deal when he could have. Now he's stuck with a 1 year deal, which was his active choice. Still don't feel bad for the situation he imposed on himself.

I agree.

Well, then, he should have signed a long term deal when he could have. Now he's stuck with a 1 year deal, which was his active choice. Still don't feel bad for the situation he imposed on himself.

He didn't "impose" this on himself. Such a myopic comment. He and his agent set a value t which he should be paid. He should be paid as a top three or four safety. The Bills would not agree to that. He took the best course in his opinion and his agent's opinion that is laid out by the collective bargaining agreement. That you as a fan don't agree with his recourse does not mean he imposed it on himself. In reality, the two sides were unable to agree on terms, he had no choice but to sit.

It's not a "bull **** excuse" at all. First of all, Keller is a tight end, and the smaller player (did you notice his number in the 30's) is not going to take on a guy outweighing him by taking his helmet across his chest. To do so he risks injuring himself. Secondly, defensive backs are always taught to take out larger players at their knees. Lastly, big hits, even legal hits, that come in high are getting flagged and fined. The NFL is forcing the hits to come in lower and this is the result.

The hit was far from cowardly, and was more than legal. The fact that Keller got hurt is a shame, but knee injuries have always been a part of the game, and will likely climb in volume and frequency with the league working to eliminate brain trauma associated with hits to the head; and to my way of thinking, it's not a bad trade off.

With that said, my prayers go out to Dustin Keller for a speedy and full recovery.

i never said it was a bull **** excuse. Simon did and I'm sure thats who you're directing your hatred toward.

Furthermore as he is a mod you have that right to hate him! :nana:

I happen to agree with both of you and thought Miller explained it pretty well. This will be a by product of rule changes they keep immplementing. The hit to me initially looks like something out of the longest yard. The first one as I never saw the second one.

My first thought was he was aiming his head directly at his knee and ended up blasting his shoulder through it. Karma for this guy, is going to be a B word when it bites him!

i never said it was a bull **** excuse. Simon did and I'm sure thats who you're directing your hatred toward.

Furthermore as he is a mod you have that right to hate him! :nana:

I happen to agree with both of you and thought Miller explained it pretty well. This will be a by product of rule changes they keep immplementing. The hit to me initially looks like something out of the longest yard. The first one as I never saw the second one.

My first thought was he was aiming his head directly at his knee and ended up blasting his shoulder through it. Karma for this guy, is going to be a B word when it bites him!

You are correct, this was intended to be directed at Simon. My appologies.

This whole paragraph is a big bunch of hooey.

DB's don't take on bigger players in order to avoid injury?

They're all coached to always go at guys' knees?

What a load of made-up malarkey you're spouting.

Keller was virtually at a stand still with his back to the approaching safety, who had all the momentum.

The safety was in complete command of the situation with a variety of options available to him and plenty of time and space to decide how to take down a stationary, defenseless target.

He made a gutless decision to deliberately attack the guys knees from the backside which is something you just don't do on a ballfield. Just because it was a big FU to the rules committee for telling him he's not allowed to dish out kill shots anymore doesn't suddenly make it acceptable.

It was a dirty, gutless play that cost him the respect of his opponents and his teammates and I hope somebody makes him pay for it sooner rather than later.

He didn't "impose" this on himself. Such a myopic comment. He and his agent set a value t which he should be paid. He should be paid as a top three or four safety. The Bills would not agree to that. He took the best course in his opinion and his agent's opinion that is laid out by the collective bargaining agreement. That you as a fan don't agree with his recourse does not mean he imposed it on himself. In reality, the two sides were unable to agree on terms, he had no choice but to sit.

The Bills opening offer, his franchise tag amount, makes him the 4th highest paid safety in the league. So I'm not sure where your thinking lies in saying that the Bills would not agree to that. I think Parker wants nothing less than highest paid in order to stay in Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

This whole paragraph is a big bunch of hooey.

DB's don't take on bigger players in order to avoid injury?

They're all coached to always go at guys' knees?

What a load of made-up malarkey you're spouting.

Keller was virtually at a stand still with his back to the approaching safety, who had all the momentum.

The safety was in complete command of the situation with a variety of options available to him and plenty of time and space to decide how to take down a stationary, defenseless target.

He made a gutless decision to deliberately attack the guys knees from the backside which is something you just don't do on a ballfield. Just because it was a big FU to the rules committee for telling him he's not allowed to dish out kill shots anymore doesn't suddenly make it acceptable.

It was a dirty, gutless play that cost him the respect of his opponents and his teammates and I hope somebody makes him pay for it sooner rather than later.

I agree 100% but those days are over.

things happen man it is football and as we all know you can't hit hard high

Exactly...Keller played 8 games in 2012...He was coming off an injury plagued season...

To the OP...Besides the fact that they were both UFA's, I really don't see where Keller's situation is anything like Byrd's...Plus...Byrd has $7 million dollars guaranteed this season, injury or not... B-)

Plus if he wasn't playing the puppet-master's game of going for every nickel, and instead 'settling' for say 110% of the Bills offer, he'd be a productive member of the Bills right now.

I am assuming the Bill's think it's worthwhile to alienate one of the better young players we've had in recent history, in order to prevent other players from using the hard bargain tactics of Parker and other agents who tell their players to hold out.

So Byrd reports in week 10 and we start this process all over again next year. Somehow I think a better franchise would have dealt with this pre-emptively, Byrd exceeded his rookie contract by all expectations. IMO the bills were hoping to use the threat on the franchise tag in order get a discount on Byrd. It backfired, the Bills should have just signed him long term to a contract that is similar to the top 5 safeties in the league (Base + guarantees). i think its pretty reasonable to assume Byrd would of signed such a deal... Given that Byrd will only make 37% of his franchise tag salary if he reports week 10 and he faces the threat of the franchise tag next year etc.The Bills Should have PAID DA MAN