QB still open competition

WIDE LEFT

Believe me, I would love to see E J emerge as the clear and convincing winner of the QB competition and start on opening day. But it's not a done deal. I missed the original broadcast of Colts preseason game and after hearing all the hype about the 95 yard drive at the end of the half, I could not wait to see the replay. I did note that the national media was much less enthused about EJ performance than our local media. Upon seeing the replay, I could see why. I mean, please, a third string defense playing the softest prevent defense imaginable produced one easy read and one easy pass after another. The TD toss was pretty good though. But this was nothing that a rookie Trent Edwards could not have done in his sleep.

So I retain high hopes for EJ, but there was little in that preseason game that sheds any light as to just where he is as an NFL QB.

Open to you maybe. It's clearly Manuel's job.

Could be the case. But I hope he actually proves himself wins the starting job on merit, rather than just being handed the starting job regardless. But I recognize there are many (like you) who believe he should and will be starting QB no matter what.

The job is Manuel's to lose. He's proven himself capable in practice and in his first pre-season game, and didn't get injured slipping on a mat.

Well he proved exactly nothing in his first preseason game. And I hope the starting job in Buffalo is not determined by freak (or lack of) freak accidents. I hope and pray EJ is the real deal, and I tend to think he is. The only point was that the Colts game did not show that one way or the other. And practices are not NFL games.

Well he proved exactly nothing in his first preseason game. And I hope the starting job in Buffalo is not determined by freak (or lack of) freak accidents. I hope and pray EJ is the real deal, and I tend to think he is. The only point was that the Colts game did not show that one way or the other. And practices are not NFL games.

and i think his point, as many will agree, is as long as it doesnt show he absolutely cant get the job done he will get a shot at trying to get the job done. true? who knows, but it makes sense.

He showed a lot more than the nothing you claim he did. And I'd hope the coaching staff wouldn't start a guy who's shown himself to be little more than a backup in the league, who isn't the future of the team, and who gets hurt at the drop of a mat, er, hat, just because he looks slightly better (if even) than a rookie in his first training camp.

Could be the case. But I hope he actually proves himself wins the starting job on merit, rather than just being handed the starting job regardless. But I recognize there are many (like you) who believe he should and will be starting QB no matter what.

No matter what? He isn't exactly up against a hall of famer. He's competing against an undrafted free agent and a guy who already failed with two teams, has never thrown 10 TDs in a season, and can't stay on the field. It's basically Manuel's job by default.

No matter what? He isn't exactly up against a hall of famer. He's competing against an undrafted free agent and a guy who already failed with two teams, has never thrown 10 TDs in a season, and can't stay on the field. It's basically Manuel's job by default.

I wouldnt call failing for 2 teams......

Philadelphia traded him to Arizona for a 2nd + CB Rogers-Cromartie. He got injured then vick took the job from him.

In Arizona he had injuries.

and i think his point, as many will agree, is as long as it doesnt show he absolutely cant get the job done he will get a shot at trying to get the job done. true? who knows, but it makes sense.

Pretty sound logic here.

I will admit that I don't have the passion for the bills that I had 20 years ago. To that end, i did watch the entire game and having seen EJ play a bunch in college what I saw was a little different than what everyone else seems to have seen.

Against the first stringers he looked like a rookie, raw and unsettled. When the talent diminished, he got better. To be fair, it could be that the timing of his improvement (ie getting comfortable and into his zone) happened at the same time the defensive starters exited, but we don't know for now.

But, at FSU, EJ was often accused of shrinking in big games and compiling stats against the dregs of the ACC.

Seems like a great kid, good attitude, head squarely on his shoulders.....and Tuell seems like a nice security blanket just in case.

Philadelphia traded him to Arizona for a 2nd + CB Rogers-Cromartie. He got injured then vick took the job from him.

In hindsight we know Arizona was misguided in giving up that much for him- it didn't work out, and Ken Wisenhunt with job on the line chose to run with Skelton rather than re-inserting Kolb.

Before that he threw 11 TDs and 14 INTs in Philly before Reid gave up on him.

Pretty sound logic here.

I will admit that I don't have the passion for the bills that I had 20 years ago. To that end, i did watch the entire game and having seen EJ play a bunch in college what I saw was a little different than what everyone else seems to have seen.

Against the first stringers he looked like a rookie, raw and unsettled. When the talent diminished, he got better. To be fair, it could be that the timing of his improvement (ie getting comfortable and into his zone) happened at the same time the defensive starters exited, but we don't know for now.

But, at FSU, EJ was often accused of shrinking in big games and compiling stats against the dregs of the ACC.

Seems like a great kid, good attitude, head squarely on his shoulders.....and Tuell seems like a nice security blanket just in case.

EJ was also throwing to mostly undrafted, street FAs, rookies and 2nd year WR's, and a rookie and blocking TE. Not to mention his 2nd series, against Indy's starters, was cut short by the fumble and then CJ took the rest of the game off.

Believe me, I would love to see E J emerge as the clear and convincing winner of the QB competition and start on opening day. But it's not a done deal. I missed the original broadcast of Colts preseason game and after hearing all the hype about the 95 yard drive at the end of the half, I could not wait to see the replay. I did note that the national media was much less enthused about EJ performance than our local media. Upon seeing the replay, I could see why. I mean, please, a third string defense playing the softest prevent defense imaginable produced one easy read and one easy pass after another. The TD toss was pretty good though. But this was nothing that a rookie Trent Edwards could not have done in his sleep.

So I retain high hopes for EJ, but there was little in that preseason game that sheds any light as to just where he is as an NFL QB.

Haven't we beaten this to death in about three other threads?

So EJ was a little tight to start the game. Not like there is any pressure on him, "no pressure EJ we're all counting on you". He got better when he stopped thinking and started playing. In that two minute drill he was throwing to Choice, Dickerson and Woods. Two guys on the bubble and a rookie, no Spiller, no Johnson, no Chandler. The NFL season is long and hard there will be a lot of third stingers that see plenty off playing time. Oh and by the way those third stringers are out there fighting for their professional lives.

How did Luck look against the ones?

If Philly loved Kolb so much why did they go out and sign Vick? Vick was still pretty controversial. They had a few years to get to know Kolb and bring him along, groom him, and yet they signed Vick.

He showed a lot more than the nothing you claim he did. And I'd hope the coaching staff wouldn't start a guy who's shown himself to be little more than a backup in the league, who isn't the future of the team, and who gets hurt at the drop of a mat, er, hat, just because he looks slightly better (if even) than a rookie in his first training camp.

If Kolb ends up starting, it will be as a stop gap until Manuel is ready. I'm optimistic, as well, about Manuel. But, I don't think he has exactly proven himself to the extent that many think he has.

If Kolb ends up starting, it will be as a stop gap until Manuel is ready. I'm optimistic, as well, about Manuel. But, I don't think he has exactly proven himself to the extent that many think he has.

Few rookies do prove themselves after a few weeks of training camp and a pre-season game. The more important thing is they show they have what it takes and then to give them the experience.

he hasn't proven himself to be a great nfl qb just yet, you're right. but he has shown that he doesn't look like a deer-in-the-headlights, panic-stricken, ready to puke all over yourself mess...at least in his first limited action of training wheels football. i will say though, i liked the poise, i liked the scrambling ability, i liked the throw away when nothing was there, and i liked the 2 minute drill. also liked the quick zip on the td pass to dickerson. i guess what i'm taking a long time to say here is that while he hasn't proven himself, he is showing signs of looking the part.