Herm thinks Bills will go 8-8; EJ should start

Let me give you a more hopeful scenario:

What team is this?

They sucked. They were mired in a rut of mediocrity. They accumulated numerous high draft picks on a roster that perpetually underperformed. They went 6-10 after average to below average seasons year after year and in the midst of this epic and continual failure the coaching staff was finally terminated AGAIN.

Then a new gm was promoted from within the organization. A new coach was brought in from college, with no NFL head coaching experience, A younger guy credited with bringing his college program to relevance. A former football player himself.

A number of roster changes were made with free agents.... Nothing splashy. Some linemen, Manny lawson for one...

The draft position was good and some great talent was added including the QB of the future, a key defensive player considered an immediate starter...

With elite talent at RB, immense unrealized potential at QB and WR and a top rated former first round pick anchoring the D and one of the up and coming DBs in the league, the team went from 6-10 to 13-3 and competed was one win from going to the Super Bowl.

Name that team. And tell me why it can't be our Bills.

This team

I can go one better. Team fires the coaching staff after a 5-11 season, hires on a new HC with no previous HC experience. He picks their QB of the future in the first round of the draft though many considered him a reach. That HC and QB tandem goes to the playoffs 5 years in a row, with at least 1 win each year in the playoffs, capped off by a SB win.

I could see the Bills going like either the '49ers or Ravens. You bring in a good HC like both these teams have and you'll have success.

And my prediction this year is a 10-6 record, win wild card game, lose divisional.

Edited by thr_wedge

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Herm the germ is such a tool. I honestly can't stand that guy, and sometimes it's obvious the people in the studio can't either. If he knew what the !@#$ he was talking about, he'd have a job in the NFL. Instead, he rants and raves like a lunatic, rarely making a point, embarrassing himself on national TV.

You know what he is really crazy about Herm the worm? he pulls down an easy 6 figure salary because of his name.

Let's not get too excited. The Bills from the first team to third team are much better prepared than we have seen them in 20 years. But the first team is not that much better than past few teams. The Colts first team looked much better then our starters and if they played the whole game the Colts win and I doubt the final score would have been close.

Unless Tuel played the whole game for us that is.

If they can go 5-1 in division (sweep MIA and Jets), go 2-0 in noncommon games (JAX, KC) and then 2-2 againsts AFC North (beat CIN and CLE)and 2-2 against NFC South (beat TB and CAR) you are looking at 11-5. 11-5 usually means playoffs.

7-9 would be:

sweeping Jets

beating MIA once

beating CLE, JAX, KC, and either TB or CAR

Most difficult home games: NE, ATL, BALT

Most difficult road games: NE, NO, PIT

They nhave the benefit of playing a possibly resting NE team to close the season....I wish they werent playing NE to start the season and instead played a weaker opponent. Then I would be more comfortable with EJ starting. Kolb has actually had some success playing against NE.

Edited by djp14150

7-9 would be:

sweeping Jets

beating MIA once

beating CLE, JAX, KC, and either TB or CAR

Most difficult home games: NE, ATL, BALT

Most difficult road games: NE, NO, PIT

They nhave the benefit of playing a possibly resting NE team to close the season....I wish they werent playing NE to start the season and instead played a weaker opponent. Then I would be more comfortable with EJ starting. Kolb has actually had some success playing against NE.

I don't recall Captain Hoodie resting his starters against the Bills late in the season when he has the division wrapped up. Correct me if I'm wrong on recent history

I posted the link to Herm's comments about EJ yesterday in the Kolb thread, though maybe it deserved it's own. I guess I'm weak-minded because I feel better when the professionals agree with my opinion that EJ's looking pretty good.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/160179-does-anybody-else-think-that-kolb-could-be-a-surprise-cut/page__st__100

I'm just excited about this season as the next guy, However, I'm still going to be surprised if they win 6 games.

Why? The Colts went 11-5 last season after being 3-13. There is no way that team was more talented than this one is.

We need to stop with the "woe is me we're the Bills" and realize there is no reason why this team cannot be good. Look at Miami last yea who went 7-9 with basically a joke of a team, simply by having a new QB, who likely isn't going to be as good as EJ, and a new coaching staff.

We have talent on this team, with the rookies we added, I think we are going to be at least 8-8...

Let's not get too excited. The Bills from the first team to third team are much better prepared than we have seen them in 20 years. But the first team is not that much better than past few teams. The Colts first team looked much better then our starters and if they played the whole game the Colts win and I doubt the final score would have been close.

Unless Tuel played the whole game for us that is.

Actually by the end of the second half, with the Indy defense sucking wind hard trying to keep up with our pace, Spiller probably would have had 200+ yards rushing...

Lets stop the nonsense of trying to extrapolate the entire game from a few series because we know thats not how it works. The Bills led 21-7 against the Patriots heading into the second half of our first meeting last year and the final score ended up 52-28 with us on the losing end...

You cannot extrapolate a few series and think that is what would happen the entire game, it just dosen't work like that...there is an ebb and flow to each game and lots of momentum changes...we've had plenty of games where the Bills looked good for a few series to start the game over the past 10 years only to get lambasted...of all the fanbases that should know that a few series don't mean much of anything in relation to the final score of a game, we should be it.

As SJBF has said, ending up at 14-25 would put us in perfect position for a guard or top TE. It's that luxury spot that the Steelers and NE usually end up in, somehow.

Thanks for the citation but it was someone else who made this point in another thread. But like you and BuffaloWings point out, why not be a good team and draft well every year like Pittsburgh and Baltimore?

Before the first preseason game I would have thought just getting six wins would be a stretch goal and an adequate accomplishment for a team with so many new players and rookie qb. The team performed way beyond what I thought they were capable of in the first preseason game and I'm getting more and more optimistic. I don't think an 8-8 goal is outrageous at this point. Yeah its early, but so far I am impressed.

You of all people should know that preseason results are meaningless.

I can go one better. Team fires the coaching staff after a 5-11 season, hires on a new HC with no previous HC experience. He picks their QB of the future in the first round of the draft though many considered him a reach. That HC and QB tandem goes to the playoffs 5 years in a row, with at least 1 win each year in the playoffs, capped off by a SB win. I could see the Bills going like either the '49ers or Ravens. You bring in a good HC like both these teams have and you'll have success. And my prediction this year is a 10-6 record, win wild card game, lose divisional.

Good post. BTW, are you the person who gave Pete Prisco wedgies back in the day? Because of your name it seemed like a natural question.

Why? The Colts went 11-5 last season after being 3-13. There is no way that team was more talented than this one is. We need to stop with the "woe is me we're the Bills" and realize there is no reason why this team cannot be good. Look at Miami last yea who went 7-9 with basically a joke of a team, simply by having a new QB, who likely isn't going to be as good as EJ, and a new coaching staff. We have talent on this team, with the rookies we added, I think we are going to be at least 8-8... Actually by the end of the second half, with the Indy defense sucking wind hard trying to keep up with our pace, Spiller probably would have had 200+ yards rushing... Lets stop the nonsense of trying to extrapolate the entire game from a few series because we know thats not how it works. The Bills led 21-7 against the Patriots heading into the second half of our first meeting last year and the final score ended up 52-28 with us on the losing end... You cannot extrapolate a few series and think that is what would happen the entire game, it just doesn't work like that...there is an ebb and flow to each game and lots of momentum changes...we've had plenty of games where the Bills looked good for a few series to start the game over the past 10 years only to get lambasted...of all the fanbases that should know that a few series don't mean much of anything in relation to the final score of a game, we should be it.

To the bolded, I tried articulating this point after Sunday's game but I couldn't remember the word extrapolate and so I was unsuccessful.

Well done!

Back to "Clowning for Clowney," I can't think of a more defeatist attitude.

I support giving Manuel the starting role. I think that using Kolb (or even Tuel) as a relief pitcher is also a good idea. I think the locked in idea that you have to stay with one guy is wrong. People have bad days, some QB's differ in style, even when running the same O. I , for one, don't understand the lack why that doesn't work here. If things are getting real bad for one guy, use a relief pitcher/QB

Let the Kid play! Kolb is a journeyman at best, isn't the future and will get us a #12 pick. Again!

I think they will be a lot better than last year. I expect them to contend for a playoff spot, and 2nd in the division. I think Fitz was a serious liability to the offense, Spiller is a great weapon, and the WR's will make more big plays. I think the defense will be a whole different animal, and will be much better. I believe a huge part of the game is mental, and that the new coaching staff will get them in the right frame of mind to succeed.

I expect them to be in the upper 3rd of the league.

I think the defense will be a whole different animal, and will be much better. I believe a huge part of the game is mental, and that the new coaching staff will get them in the right frame of mind to succeed.

The defense is the $64,000,000.00 question. If they're good, say mid pack, we got a real chance to be good this year. Our O will be fine whoever ends up at QB. Sunday, the D in the first half was no great shakes against Luck and Hass. That's gotta improve.

Not sure if it applies to football, but Yogi Berra said that "80% of the game is half mental."

Signed,

ALWAYS BILLEVE.

:lol: :lol:

(I know I'm late in this thread but well done, Promo.)

My theory is that if we finish with less than 7 wins the players will begin to question this "college" coaching staff. Right now they are buying into this shinny new toy on O and D and are excited to be playing it. If this team finishes with the same or worst record as last year, doubt could creep in and that is never a good thing. They need to start out good and be great by the end of the year for this staff to not lose its players. At a minimum they need to be on hitting on all cylinders at the end of the season.

Don't underestimate the mental part of football.

I enjoy the fact that this thread reads as if it were a whisper and a secret.