How many WRs can a team carry?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dickerson is listed at WR is what gets me. How can he make the roster at WR?

Kaufman or Hogan will go to someone else if we cut them to PS

Dickerson is a TE. I heard Marrone speak about it a week or two ago. They wanted to try him at WR and it didn't work out so well, combined with the depth and competition we have at that position. Dickerson went to the coaches and said he preferred to play TE and thought it was the best way to make the team. Especially because of Caussin's injury and the pitch count the team has on Chandler, Dickerson has only really played TE recently, and will for the rest of camp.

At first I thought we may keep four TEs and no fullback, and Marrone even alluded to that awhile back, but Frank Summers was out there as a FB with the first teamers a few plays so we may indeed keep a FB, which will probably make it difficult for Dickerson to make the team. I expect them to keep Gragg ahead of him. But that TD sure helped Dickerson's case.

Plus, Hogan was probably better in the Dolphins camp last year than he has been on the Bills and they ended up cutting him. He ended up not being claimed and then was added to the Bills PS where he was brought up for a game or two when injuries mounted. He would likely not be claimed if waived but that is just conjecture. Kaufman looks like a PS candidate to me. Hogan may have PS eligibility left too.

Dickerson is a TE. I heard Marrone speak about it a week or two ago. They wanted to try him at WR and it didn't work out so well, combined with the depth and competition we have at that position. Dickerson went to the coaches and said he preferred to play TE and thought it was the best way to make the team. Especially because of Caussin's injury and the pitch count the team has on Chandler, Dickerson has only really played TE recently, and will for the rest of camp.

At first I thought we may keep four TEs and no fullback, and Marrone even alluded to that awhile back, but Frank Summers was out there as a FB with the first teamers a few plays so we may indeed keep a FB, which will probably make it difficult for Dickerson to make the team. I expect them to keep Gragg ahead of him. But that TD sure helped Dickerson's case.

Plus, Hogan was probably better in the Dolphins camp last year than he has been on the Bills and they ended up cutting him. He ended up not being claimed and then was added to the Bills PS where he was brought up for a game or two when injuries mounted. He would likely not be claimed if waived but that is just conjecture. Kaufman looks like a PS candidate to me. Hogan may have PS eligibility left too.

I cannot imagine Summers making this team very easily.

CJ does not run in ways condusive for a FB to benefit him. Jackson does, however. He will have more limitted time this year and if he is unable to cut and move quick enough a FB is going to get in his way.

If Larry Centers was around he'd make this team in a heart beat. If Sam Gash was here I would say 50/50 with our running backs. And I loved Gash.

If we don't carry a fullback or a third tight end, there is a chance that we carry seven receivers opening day.

A few teams have done so in the past:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20040659/bengals-head-to-openr-with-seven-wide-receivers-on-roster

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/31/redskins-make-final-cuts-make-changes-receiver/?page=all

Good to see you posting again. I know you've been lurking over the last few weeks. Better that you post.

I cannot imagine Summers making this team very easily.

CJ does not run in ways condusive for a FB to benefit him. Jackson does, however. He will have more limitted time this year and if he is unable to cut and move quick enough a FB is going to get in his way.

If Larry Centers was around he'd make this team in a heart beat. If Sam Gash was here I would say 50/50 with our running backs. And I loved Gash.

One flaw I see with the Bills O from yesterday is that they don't do enough deep handoffs/pitches.

That is Freddy's forte, attacking the line from deep in the backfield and choosing a lane. CJ is also good at this.

They need to get the RBs the ball a bit deeper in the backfield.

JMO