Skip Bayless on EJ's 2-minute drive

On First Take just now, Bayless just said that on that drive, EJ's headset malfunctioned and he had to call his own plays. Has anyone heard this from another source? BTW, neither Bayless nor Steven A thought EJ's performance yesterday justified his being the first QB selected. But Ed Werder on SportsCenter mentioned EJ first (and favorably) when he was asked for his top takeaways from week 1 of preseason.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On First Take just now, Bayless just said that on that drive, EJ's headset malfunctioned and he had to call his own plays. Has anyone heard this from another source? BTW, neither Bayless nor Steven A thought EJ's performance yesterday justified his being the first QB selected. But Ed Werder on SportsCenter mentioned EJ first (and favorably) when he was asked for his top takeaways from week 1 of preseason.

Yes, just heard that this morning as well. if they did cut off his mic, that takes guts. But it prob just failed. Good work, kid.. regardless of what string he was playing against, if true.

Inanimate carbon rod >>>> Skip Bayless.

In_rod_we_trust.jpg

BTW, neither Bayless nor Steven A thought EJ's performance yesterday justified his being the first QB selected.

Well I didn't see much from the 2nd selected Qb(Geno) that suggested he should have been the first selected Qb. Seems like they are critiquing as if he was taken 1st overall.

Probably the same guys who said Russell Wilson would never be an NFL QB...

You mean the Bills' front office?

I was bouncing off the walls when Wilson was still there and they took Graham.

Not that it's the first damned week of the damned preseason or anything.

Funny, if it's good the preseason game means everything. e.g. Goodwin

If it's not, then the games are meaningless.

Always a hoot.

Was his headset out the entire drive? I saw him tapping his helmet at the start of the drive and said "great time for the headset to go out!" But if he called his own plays that drive, it makes it even more impressive.

Was his headset out the entire drive? I saw him tapping his helmet at the start of the drive and said "great time for the headset to go out!" But if he called his own plays that drive, it makes it even more impressive.

Same here.

I know it didn't work the first or second play. But im not sure about the whole drive.

First and mostly Stephen A is one of the biggest assclowns on sports TV. I would listen to Sully and go with his opinion before that idiot.

Of course, he and Bayless both. But I had not heard that EJ's headset was out on that drive so I thought his comment was worth posting and trying to get confirmation on.

It was nice to see Manual make some nice reads and some nice throws and the 20 yard or so run he made, but lets be real here....He had some bad throws too, missed 2 easy throws that I remember, locked on to one receiver and didn't take his eyes off him, executed a simple game plan with simple throws for the most part, but did hit a couple difficult throws too. All in all I think he did well executing a simple game plan against a simple vanilla defense. I thought Tuel actually did a better job looking off defenders and made some tougher throws..It's exciting to see the future of these guys but again it was 1 preseason game and I don't feel manual did anything to solidify a starting job.. I would like to see Kolb play a half next game and see where he is at, ahead or behind Manual..

Funny, if it's good the preseason game means everything. e.g. Goodwin

If it's not, then the games are meaningless.

Always a hoot.

Nobody said they are meaningless. Is it tough to admit that it's early to evaluate the most important position on the field?

And I would make a distinction between kick return situations where natural talent can really take over, and QB play. Furthermore, the ST play is probably the one area where preseason competition is as close to regular season competition, given that the makeup of the on-field guys is going to be pretty close. It is the 2nd and 3rd stringers who fill those roles.

If we were talking about Goodwin dazzling on offense, I think people might temper it more with "it was against the future grocery baggers of America..." Success of any kind in preseason is better than the alternative. It's just early. Period.

A couple of things here. Compared to the other QB's taken in this last draft, my understanding is EJ has lapped the field, so it would be safe to say he justified being the 1st QB selected right? That said, I don't think his performance merits high fives and ass slapping just yet. His first 2 drives gave more pause for concern than excitement. Pre-season game 3 - he does it there, then we are on to something...