Marcus Easley makes the team

NFL Waivers

Waivers is a National Football League labor management procedure by which a team makes an American football player contract or NFL rights (such as NFL draft rights to an unsigned player) available to all other teams. During the season (starting July 4 and lasting through the regular season), each team has 24 hours to file a claim for a player that another team has made available through the system or waive the right to do so. During the off season each team has several days to file such claims. Claiming teams are assigned the rights to or contracts via a priority system based on inverse order of winning percentage. Players that pass through waivers unclaimed become free agents.[1][2]
Does anyone know if a team (i.e. the Bills) can put in a waiver claim for a player they waive? Edited by Matt in KC

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fairly ignorant statement. Dude has not touched weed since he got kicked off the Vols. He's passed several drug tests since then and done everything that's been asked of him. Not to mention that stellar athletes such as Micheal Phelps have also smoked.

How is my comment on his Vol experience inaccurate? He failed multiple drug tests there? The school finally expelled him from the program. That is a fact. At the next school he played for there were concerns about his effort level at that program. His problem relates to his maturity and discipline level. Why do you think no one drafted him? Because he is such a dependable person?

He was not drafted by any team in the league. They all passed on him in the regular draft, including the Bills. If he is a first round talent as many people claim then why didn't any team take a risk on him with a lower round selection? Right now he is a fringe player fighting for a roster spot. He is having trouble mastering the mental side of the game. He is simply too inconsistent to count on. As it stands he is he is near the bottom of the receiver corps rankings and merely hanging on .to a preseason roster spot. I doubt very much if he earns a regular roster spot. If he gets waived en route to the practice squad and another team takes it then so be it. No big loss.

To the bolded above, I don't recall anyone else suggesting this so kudos to you.

Trading Brad Smith makes a lot of sense. He of all the Bills wideouts (and yes, Stevie is a lock and a valued player) might have some trade value and if the preseason plays out the way it looks like it may, there's gonna be a logjam at wideout.

Trading him sounds like a good idea but ya really think you'll get someone who can crack the roster for him? They are gonna be tearing their hair out making cuts as it is. I wish they could keep him because he can do so many different things but none of them really well.

One idea MIGHT be to talk to a team like Green Bay who could use a solid body at WR. They could send back a depth RB like James Starks, who might be able to compete with Choice. Starks knows the area fron his U Buffalo days. He went to HS in Niagara Falls. The kid knows to to play in the cold.

You never know.

Talk about injury prone. Starks has yet to play 6 games in a row without injury. II like him as a local kid and UB connection but he's been very fragile so far.

PTR

The problem is this is Easley's 4th preseason. Comparing him to Da' Rick or any other rookie is problematic. We haven't remotely seen the potential other WRs have. I would hope the Bills coaches pretty much know what they have in Easley by now. He continues lot blow up preseasons playing against rookie 3rd stringers, then disappears during the regular season. I wouldn't cut a player with a higher ceiling.

My guess is the Bills really like Rogers and are limiting his PS game exposure to try to sneak him to the PS. What I don't know is if it will work. Would you really try picking up Rogers for your team without actually seeing anything from him?

Also, with the waiver process, isn't it like the draft where worst teams get first pick? If so, Rogers would just need to make it past the teams with a worse record than the Bills last year.

I think they want to keep 5-6 WRs, but Rogers, Easley and Hogan are making it very hard to cut down that far (also keeping SJ, TJ, Goodwin, Woods). Maybe whatever reciever is knicked up goes on the mini-IR to start the season.

I like Kaufman too, but think they try to get him to the PS. I really hope he makes it there too.

The waiver wire does go in order by worst to best but it wouldn't stop at the Bills. Every team has the right to take him if a team higher than them has not taken him. But I think he will be waived. Hogan has looked good in the preseason and is probably who Rogers is battling for the last spot. Unless the FO thinks Smith's experience and versatility is expendable.

Trading him sounds like a good idea but ya really think you'll get someone who can crack the roster for him? They are gonna be tearing their hair out making cuts as it is. I wish they could keep him because he can do so many different things but none of them really well.

Probably he doesn't have much trade value.

But it only takes one team to be interested.

The problem is this is Easley's 4th preseason. Comparing him to Da' Rick or any other rookie is problematic. We haven't remotely seen the potential other WRs have. I would hope the Bills coaches pretty much know what they have in Easley by now. He continues lot blow up preseasons playing against rookie 3rd stringers, then disappears during the regular season. I wouldn't cut a player with a higher ceiling.

What is the basis for claiming that Da'Rick Rogers has a higher ceiling than Marcus Easley?

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily but I'm not seeing the logic that seems clear to you.

That's a fairly ignorant statement. Dude has not touched weed since he got kicked off the Vols. He's passed several drug tests since then and done everything that's been asked of him. Not to mention that stellar athletes such as Micheal Phelps have also smoked.

It's also silly to pretend we know whether he has touched it or not. Not having a public positive test isn't the same as hasn't touched it.

Him being injury prone is an inaccurate myth. He's only got hurt just once...His rookie year he broke his leg in camp. 2nd year he had an undiagnosed heart ailment...that has nothing to do with getting hurt on the field. That was something doctors missed earlier in his life and he needed medication to correct which he got and did. His third year we had terrible coaching and they barely used him as they were in love with scrubs (Fitz being the biggest scrub man crush).

Now he's here and getting a chance. One injury in 3 years does not make a guy injury prone.

Thank you, could not have said it better. Last year was head scratching, Easley touched the ball once, on a kick return for 50 some yards and never touched it again. Gailey's handling of Easley reminded me of Jauron's handling of Johnson.

What is the basis for claiming that Da'Rick Rogers has a higher ceiling than Marcus Easley?

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily but I'm not seeing the logic that seems clear to you.

First Team All SEC.

Other players to be first team all SEC on this team include: Stevie Johnson, Antoine Caldwell, Stephon Gilmore, Cordy Glenn, and Kyle Williams.

Now they may not all be superstars, but they're guys who belong on a roster and are above average at their position. Da'Rick is the same type of talent.

If the choice is Easley or Da'Rick and its even close, you go with Da'Rick

Edited by Endless Ike

Thank you, could not have said it better. Last year was head scratching, Easley touched the ball once, on a kick return for 50 some yards and never touched it again. Gailey's handling of Easley reminded me of Jauron's handling of Johnson.

I'm sorry can't let that pass :w00t: funny stuff!

First Team All SEC

Good point.

Interestingly the high point of Rogers' career was his freshman year while the high point of Easley's career was his senior year.

Measurables-wise, Easley generally is superior, at least in size and speed.

Anyways if the preseason ended last night, I think Easley would make the team and Rogers would not.

Luckily for Rogers, there's two more games for him to state his case.

Exactly where did I specifically say that Rogers has a higher ceiling?

Anyways, we really don't know the ceiling of any of our rookies. This is why they are rarely cut the preseason they are drafted. It's their potential that is great, mostly because they are such a blank page. They are going from nothing/unknown to perhaps greatness (or not, but the potential is still there).

As the last 4 years progressed (or as any player's career progresses) Easley's potential has diminished. The Bills brass should know what they got in him by now.

Exactly where did I specifically say that Rogers has a higher ceiling?

Anyways, we really don't know the ceiling of any of our rookies. This is why they are rarely cut the preseason they are drafted. It's their potential that is great, mostly because they are such a blank page. They are going from nothing/unknown to perhaps greatness (or not, but the potential is still there).

As the last 4 years progressed (or as any player's career progresses) Easley's potential has diminished. The Bills brass should know what they got in him by now.

To the bolded above, it certainly read like that was your opinion when you posted the bolded below. It read like you were making the case for Rogers over Easley based on Rogers having the higher ceiling.

Maybe that's not what you meant but it certainly reads that way to me.

First Team All SEC.

Other players to be first team all SEC on this team include: Stevie Johnson, Antoine Caldwell, Stephon Gilmore, Cordy Glenn, and Kyle Williams.

Now they may not all be superstars, but they're guys who belong on a roster and are above average at their position. Da'Rick is the same type of talent.

If the choice is Easley or Da'Rick and its even close, you go with Da'Rick

I know it's not fair, but the biggest knock I have had against Easley since the day he was drafted is that he went to UConn, a basketball school in my eyes. He never did anything to change my lower opinion of him, but I will admit he looked good against the Colts, and I'm looking forward to watching him on tomorrow morning's replay of the Vikings game.

I see 6 WRs sticking:

SJ

Woods

TJ

Goodwin

then 2 of these 3

Easley

Rogers

Smith