Aug 9 Training Camp Notes

uncle flap

Overall, both the first and second team D lines were pretty good at clogging the middle against the run. There were only a couple big runs, most were a yard or two and a cloud of dust. Spiller had a 25+ yd TD after bouncing one outside on what looked to be a designed run up the middle. I think it was Fred who had another big gainer after he side stepped an unblocked blitzing CB who had him in his sights 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I didn't pay too much attention to the d line play as I was mostly watching the ball, but there was plenty of pre-snap shifting causing the QBs to call out protections. Even when doing so, the offense still would snap the ball with around 25 left on the play clock. Tough to tell how well the d line as a whole was playing when there seemed to be constant pressure from the the RE and/or ROLB. Didn't really notice Branch good or bad, but wasn't really looking out for him either.

Outstanding reporting, Flappy! A ton-O-thanks for your insight and delivery!

I am SO grateful you did this. I was down and out with asthmatic symptoms. You rocked those Comments! Merci!

--Astro

Get well soon, Rastro. With fan reporting at this level, along with needling criticism from other Wallers, we don't even need local beat writers.

I haven't heard much about CB play (other than Gilmore) since McLovin went down with an injury. Who is starting with the first unit, and how have he/they looked?

Not good.

In 11 practice sessions, five different players have manned the outside spot opposite Gilmore.

McKelvin is having issues with the groin that wasn't surgically repaired.

Definitely the team's biggest area of concern.

sounds like the O-line is going to be a trouble spot this year. Maybe Glenn was a better fit under Gailey's system because he seems to be struggling and bums next to him aren't helping. So Glad that they didn't even try to keep Levitre, he must have been shocked when Whaley said "yeah we know you are the best guard in the League and best lineman we've had in decades but hey don't let the door hit you in the azz when cleaning out your locker.... Oh and turn in your playbook"

Marrone called it "soreness," and seemed to down play the situation a little bit. I still have great concern, however, about our CB situation. The best of the worst, in McKelvin's absence, seems to be Justin Rogers.

Justin Rogers wasn't playing last night (at least I don't think he was), so Robey was lined up outside with the ones. He looks very small, but not out of place. I'd have to say he was "adequate" filling in because I didn't notice any big mistakes or anything. I noticed him more in the one on one drills vs the WRs; He had a few pass breakups, and stuck with his man for the most part. I don't remember him giving up any "easy" catches, but some of the WRs were able to outmuscle him for position.

I saw Brooks on the outside too, tho now I'm not sure if it was with the ones or not. Also saw him covering slot guys. Like Gilmore, he uses his hands quite a bit. Bordering on too much, IMO.

sounds like the O-line is going to be a trouble spot this year. Maybe Glenn was a better fit under Gailey's system because he seems to be struggling and bums next to him aren't helping. So Glad that they didn't even try to keep Levitre, he must have been shocked when Whaley said "yeah we know you are the best guard in the League and best lineman we've had in decades but hey don't let the door hit you in the azz when cleaning out your locker.... Oh and turn in your playbook"

Yeah I was less than impressed with their effort. They didn't get a lot of push in the run game, and pass protection was hit or miss. Some plays the QBs would have all the time in the world, and on others they might as well have been standing behind turnstiles.

Wood and Urbik seemed to be the only ones playing well overall, although they were far from perfect. Pears got beat a few times.

I think it would help to have the backs in a weak I formation, so one can chip behind Glenn. Glenn seems fine against the bull rush, but is susceptible to the likes of Hughes who can use his speed and bend around Glenn. Having Fred or a FB might be able to neutralize that. Or if they're running that 20 set, which I didn't notice them run once, definitely keep the guy on the left in to block.

I didn't mean to paint to bleak a picture. I'm definitely concerned, but there's no need to panic at this point. Colin Brown was playing with the ones, and it just seemed like if the D overloaded the left side, those two had no chance. As Chan showed us, there are ways to compensate for a lack of protection. And if they plan on running as much as they say they are, Glenn and the others won't be so much of a liability.

Yeah I was less than impressed with their effort. They didn't get a lot of push in the run game, and pass protection was hit or miss. Some plays the QBs would have all the time in the world, and on others they might as well have been standing behind turnstiles.

Wood and Urbik seemed to be the only ones playing well overall, although they were far from perfect.

Pears got beat a few times.

I think it would help to have the backs in a weak I formation, so one can chip behind Glenn. Glenn seems fine against the bull rush, but is susceptible to the likes of Hughes who can use his speed and bend around Glenn. Having Fred or a FB might be able to neutralize that. Or if they're running that 20 set, which I didn't notice them run once, definitely keep the guy on the left in to block.

I didn't mean to paint to bleak a picture. I'm definitely concerned, but there's no need to panic at this point. Colin Brown was playing with the ones, and it just seemed like if the D overloaded the left side, those two had no chance. As Chan showed us, there are ways to compensate for a lack of protection.

And if they plan on running as much as they say they are, Glenn and the others won't be so much of a liability.

Hard to be perfect when they are compensating for the rest.

Hopefully we run alot.

They better improve our corners and Oline next year or we will be marginal at best, and EJ will be running for his life, regressing like all the other QBs we've drafted since Jimbo.