Biggest Training Camp Dissapointments

The Bleacher Report lists Kevin Kolb as one of the biggest training camp disappointments so far this year.

When the Bills signed Kolb, he was both a hedge against the Bills being unable to land a talented quarterback in the draft and a veteran insurance policy in case they did. When the Bills drafted EJ Manuel, perhaps the least polished of the top quarterback prospects this season, it looked like the starting job was Kolb's to lose.

In camp, though, Kolb has struggled to play like the veteran he is. According to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550, Kolb struggled with blitz recognition and pickup in the fourth day of camp—exactly the kind of thing a veteran should be able to do better than a rookie.

bleacherreport.com/articles/1732406-the-biggest-nfl-training-camp-disappointments-so-far/page/6

The point might be moot, however, as Peter King lists EJ as one the best training camp surprises so far (or however he phrased it).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't Kolb historically been bad in camps? IE Skelton beat him out last year, and when Kolb was in due to injury, the offense seemed to move better. Is it that he is a better gameday QB than camp, or is it just that the QBs in Az were just horrible.

Disclaimer: We all know that Skelton will be an elite QB one day and we'll rue the day that we didn't trade him while his stock wasn't so high, but lets please refrain from that kind of talk in this thread. :thumbsup:

Bleacher report. Ha. In this case, though, I like how it was used to create a thread. It was not used to just prop up their site with a link saying "15 year old basement dwelling mouth breather believes that 'CJ is primed for epic blow up in 2013 and will be the best RB, like ever"

I do not want to see it, because it would not be a good sign. But, I think Kolb could be out of a job in Buffalo soon.

I didn't expect anything out of Kolb... though I did expect him to not get injured in TC, heh.

That being said, my "biggest" disappoint (if you can call it that) is D. Rogers. I was hoping to see him light it up a bit more in TC. I'll give him time, though. :)

I didn't expect anything out of Kolb... though I did expect him to not get injured in TC, heh.

That being said, my "biggest" disappoint (if you can call it that) is D. Rogers. I was hoping to see him light it up a bit more in TC. I'll give him time, though. :)

Let him play 2 preseason games. I have a feeling he is a game day performer much more then he is a All-Pro Practice Player.

Had Kolb ever seen a fully unleashed Pettine defense before camp? I realize that he is a vet, but I suspect a lot of veteran QB's are going to have a tough time dealing with our new defense this season.

And EJ was being acclimated much more slowly, so it's not really fair to compare the two of them yet.

Had Kolb ever seen a fully unleashed Pettine defense before camp? I realize that he is a vet, but I suspect a lot of veteran QB's are going to have a tough time dealing with our new defense this season.

And EJ was being acclimated much more slowly, so it's not really fair to compare the two of them yet.

EJ has been getting the same looks as Kolb for the past week.

Can't wait for the games to start!

For all the gnashing of teeth and hand-wringing that's been going on about +/- reports of players in camp, it'll be good to see the action live when they're in pads, keeping score, and playing somebody that's not in Red, White, and Blue. We'll be able to tell a lot more about the OLine once they're able to use their techniques to the fullest. They just can't do that in shorts and tees.

One thing that gets me though is how with the new CBA, Maronne got screwed out of his extra practice week. (I think). They were among the very last group to begin their TC. Used to be a rookie HC got to bring his squad in early. Didn't happen though. Maybe they got an extra OTA session, but I think that used to be included as well as an extra TC week.

Go Bills!

Let him play 2 preseason games. I have a feeling he is a game day performer much more then he is a All-Pro Practice Player.

Oh, I'm not indicating he's a failure because of TC. We've all seen TC stars and duds perform very differently when the season starts. I was just anwering the question of the topic. I definitely want to see him play in real games, before I give any real opinion on him.

Is this not cherry-picking by definition? Basing a report on one day of camp? And basing it not on one's own perspective, but on a secondary source?

Chrissakes Bleacher Report is the worst. I wish it could just get banned here. It's a nice way for practicing writers to learn and get an audience but 99% of it is garbage, re-postings from other sources with more credibility, and speculation.

Edit: I do, as jboyst does, appreciate the idea of the thread; I simply would rather learn about who's been disappointing from people here who have had the opportunity to visit camp and see things with their own eyes.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

I'll take Astrobot and mrags(I forgot to give mrags credit elsewhere, so, I'm doing it now) over bleacher report any day.

These 2 have outperformed certain members of the "real" media, as well. Especially when it comes to picking up on important details. (see...EJ doing 3 read progression yesterday, when he hadn't before. All we got from the media was "improved". I want the F'ing detail, because I know what that means, and so does pretty much every fan on this board, if they've hung around here long enough)

The premise for the article is dumb anyway. Who the hell "disappoints" in training camp, after not having played a single game?

Talk to me after the 2nd game. You can't disappoint until then.

The Bleacher Report lists Kevin Kolb as one of the biggest training camp disappointments so far this year.

When the Bills signed Kolb, he was both a hedge against the Bills being unable to land a talented quarterback in the draft and a veteran insurance policy in case they did. When the Bills drafted EJ Manuel, perhaps the least polished of the top quarterback prospects this season, it looked like the starting job was Kolb's to lose.

In camp, though, Kolb has struggled to play like the veteran he is. According to Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550, Kolb struggled with blitz recognition and pickup in the fourth day of campexactly the kind of thing a veteran should be able to do better than a rookie.

bleacherreport.com/articles/1732406-the-biggest-nfl-training-camp-disappointments-so-far/page/6

The point might be moot, however, as Peter King lists EJ as one the best training camp surprises so far (or however he phrased it).

I never understood this less polish. Maybe he is less Polish than the other prospects, but was he really less polished than Barkley, Geno, etc etc.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

EJ has been getting the same looks as Kolb for the past week.

Yes, but he was NOT getting them four days in. Kolb got everything thrown at him right off the bat. Who knows where Kolb would be right now had be given all of the reps he has missed since hurting his knee.

Is this not cherry-picking by definition? Basing a report on one day of camp? And basing it not on one's own perspective, but on a secondary source?

Chrissakes Bleacher Report is the worst. I wish it could just get banned here. It's a nice way for practicing writers to learn and get an audience but 99% of it is garbage, re-postings from other sources with more credibility, and speculation.

Edit: I do, as jboyst does, appreciate the idea of the thread; I simply would rather learn about who's been disappointing from people here who have had the opportunity to visit camp and see things with their own eyes.

BANG ! Thats nailin it right there.

Edited by jaybee

I never understood this less polish. Maybe he is less Polish than the other prospects, but was he really less polished than Barkley, Geno, etc etc.

He's definitely less Polish than Kopernicus.

I was unhappy when we signed Kolb, but then warmed up to it, not knowing how the draft would go.

Once we drafted Manuel, I've been in the "cut Kolb" camp - but only for the purpose of removing any kind of potential for locker room division.

I think, if he could handle the position (being a backup) in a professional manner (the exact opposite way Flutie handled it), Kolb would be a very servicable backup ... if he can stay healthy.

His lack of durability is what troubles me the most. However, this team WILL need a veteran backup. If Kolb can do it without pulling a Flutie, I'd be glad to have him in that capacity.

I don't see how Kolb can be considered a preseason disappointment, though. Bleacher Report is only 2nd in sucktitude to Pat Moran.

If I had to name one preseason disappointment, I'd have to go with Brad Smith. I'm glad the young guys are doing well, but I think his veteran leadership, along with his readiness and durability, would be valuable assets as the season progresses.

Looks like he's on the bubble, though.

Go Bills.

I'll take Astrobot and mrags(I forgot to give mrags credit elsewhere, so, I'm doing it now) over bleacher report any day.

These 2 have outperformed certain members of the "real" media, as well. Especially when it comes to picking up on important details.

They absolutely have outperformed certain members of the "real" media. The places I go if I want actual Bills training camp news are to their reports and those of Joe Buscaglia. Aside from them, there is virtually nothing of substance put out there.