Bills Unique Roster Situation

Delete this if it has been covered. We have many outstanding rookies coming into camp and, for the most part, many of them will play majors roles within the O and D. The catch is that these rookies are going to be forced to have A LOT of preseason playing time (EJ, Kiko, Woods, Goodwin, etc) to learn the system, get in sync with each other and get used to the speed of the game. I'm curious to know how you mitigate injuries/wearing out your potential starters who are going to have to have significant playing time in 4 games before the season even starts.

You don't and that is why most first year coaches don't do well . Injuries plus no depth at most positions .

Another aspect that bites them later in the season is the length of the season. These college athletes are used to a much shorter season and their body wears off as the season progresses (including having to play 4 pre-season games). THe question would be is: if Maronne and his coaching staff has built the conditioning for these athletes.

"We have many outstanding rookies coming into camp"

I have yet to see any of them play in the NFL, sounds like a cool-aid statement... But either way time will tell

Okay so remove that statement. I'll just say, "we have rookies on our current roster that are going to contribute significantly (maybe even starting QB) to this '13-'14 team. The question I'm asking is still the same.

Another aspect that bites them later in the season is the length of the season. These college athletes are used to a much shorter season and their body wears off as the season progresses (including having to play 4 pre-season games). THe question would be is: if Maronne and his coaching staff has built the conditioning for these athletes.

I think our up tempo pace in practice (If you haven't seen it, its quite fast.) Will help with conditioning in the 4th quarter big time

Okay, I'll give you these:

LG/LT

S

Where else?

Depends - were swapping both offensive and defensive schemes.

I'd say CB is shaky at best

TE isn't very well established beyond chandler

As much as we love the rookies, some will disappoint

We don't particularly know how well the front seven on defense will fit/perform yet alone depth with the group

You don't and that is why most first year coaches don't do well . Injuries plus no depth at most positions .

I don't understand the correlation between a first year coach and player depth. Not trying to be difficult, but how are the two related? Where do the Bills have depth issues, and why is that due to Marrone being a new coach?

LB, CB, TE, and WR mainly bc they only have one proven WR on the roster

Glass Half full view. LB and CB DEPTH is decent on paper. Proven is a different story, same goes for WR.

Glass Half Empty is no one is proven in any position on this team except maybe Wood, Kyle Williams and SJ13 and they have an injury history or are injured now.

Its all perspective.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Delete this if it has been covered. We have many outstanding rookies coming into camp and, for the most part, many of them will play majors roles within the O and D. The catch is that these rookies are going to be forced to have A LOT of preseason playing time (EJ, Kiko, Woods, Goodwin, etc) to learn the system, get in sync with each other and get used to the speed of the game. I'm curious to know how you mitigate injuries/wearing out your potential starters who are going to have to have significant playing time in 4 games before the season even starts.

The bills situation may be fairly comparable to the Colts last year with the exception of their expectations on the rookie QB. Lots of new faces on the sideline and roster, particularly on O.

Luck was the starter in April. EJ was uncertain.

I don't understand the correlation between a first year coach and player depth. Not trying to be difficult, but how are the two related? Where do the Bills have depth issues, and why is that due to Marrone being a new coach?

when you change coaches you typically change scheme - especially as you get into the less gifted, less polished guys in the depth chart those scheme changes tend to hurt their play more.

additionally you often see vets jettisoned.

I think our cuts will be picked up by other teams and have a playing career.

I hope you're right because that would be a sign this team is heading in the right direction. Usually the Bills have players on their 53 man roster who would not be playing on any other NFL team.

That's not really true anymore, most of these guys are playing at least 13 games in college.