Hackett on CJ Spiller's Role in the Offense

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. This thread is ugly.

I'm excited to Cj get fed the ball 18-25 touches a game. Fred 7-14 touches a game (not on average, but round a bout). I like this Hackett guy so far. Lets hope our offense can turn the corner.

That was with them limiting his carries in the beginning of the season also.

Chris Carter loves CJ and says he can handle the load.

I posted this earlier, but the top 5 RB's in the league last year all got 20+ carries a game. It's normal.

CJ rarely takes a bit hit. He's very good at avoiding those. That will only add years to his career.

you got a great running back and a very good running back on a team that is going to probably have to showcase the running game. I see both Spiller and Jackson getting plenty of touches. There is always to injury bug to worry about as well, so I wouldn't lose sleep over having two good backs. We should only be this deep in other positions. I am going to be looking at the run blocking of the o-line through pre-season as we really do need a new "electric company" to turn on those backs.

Ugh. This thread is ugly.

I'm excited to Cj get fed the ball 18-25 touches a game. Fred 7-14 touches a game (not on average, but round a bout). I like this Hackett guy so far. Lets hope our offense can turn the corner.

Yup. 30-40 touches a game between these two is nothing but goodness.

I think it's reasonable to argue that a good running game is essential to being successful in the league, as the most successful teams are usually well rounded.

I don't know that a team needs to be well rounded. I think a great passing offense with a good defense and a running game that is average would beat most challengers every year in this NFL.

I posted this earlier, but the top 5 RB's in the league last year all got 20+ carries a game. It's normal.

CJ rarely takes a bit hit. He's very good at avoiding those. That will only add years to his career.

look at it this way with me for a second

Let's say CJ is top 5. Let's say FJ is just top 15...not that it is relevant but if you have two top end talents why do you need to give CJ the ball 20 times a game?

What the worst part is, to me, looking at a few games where I know we will have little to no options on offense. Atlanta, for example, we have a big game there. We might not be able to run much if we are just trying to keep from being blown out. And teams that blitz and find our weakness at interior OL... aggggghhhhhhhhhh

i do agree with you there. I just can't agree with your opinion on Freddie. But yes, your right.

you're. See quality. Going to crap. :D

You are correct. He averaged 21.75 during the regular season and had 22 in the single playoff game last year.

Big deal. Jamie Morris had 45 attempts in one game. Spiller has not shown himself to be the bell cow that Peterson is.

CJ Spiller's stats

2006 13 games 129 attempts

2007 13 games 145 attempts

2008 13 games 116 attempts

2009 14 games 216 attempts

2010 14 games 74 attempts

2011 16 games 107 attempts

2012 16 games 207 attempts

Big deal. Jamie Morris had 45 attempts in one game. Spiller has not shown himself to be the bell cow that Peterson is.

CJ Spiller's stats

2006 13 games 129 attempts

2007 13 games 145 attempts

2008 13 games 116 attempts

2009 14 games 216 attempts

2010 14 games 74 attempts

2011 16 games 107 attempts

2012 16 games 207 attempts

I wasn't saying that Spiller can handle 20. I was just stating that AP averaged over 20 last year. I think spiller would break down terribly at 20 a game. I think he should have 23 touches a game though.

I wasn't saying that Spiller can handle 20. I was just stating that AP averaged over 20 last year. I think spiller would break down terribly at 20 a game. I think he should have 23 touches a game though.

Well that was my premise. CJ ain't no Adrian Gosh-Darned Peterson.

People bandy around "20 carries a game" like it's de rigueur for an average back. It's not.

the other stat in that 375 carry chart that ive posted a few times over the years that worries me is the breakdown that guys adding 100-150+ carries to previous workloads experienced. I dont remember it 100% off hand but i remember guys with big jumps often suffer adjusting to the extra hits.

Edited by NoSaint

Well that was my premise. CJ ain't no Adrian Gosh-Darned Peterson.

People bandy around "20 carries a game" like it's de rigueur for an average back. It's not.

spiller is not your average back per se. He is more a corvette then a sedan. You can let him carry 20 times a game and he will do well. But he will look a lot better when he carries less then 20.

My take on Hackett's comment: EJ will be the starter so we need to shorten the game by burning the clock & keeping passes to a minimum. We're going to be a running team at first, with enough passes, including long ones, to keep defenses honest & keep the pressure off EJ.

I think the style and efficiency of the offense should dictate Spiller's use. Use him early and often. Try to take a lead. If you can take that lead, come out with a heavier run game and use Fred more.

It's kinda dumb to get wraped up in the # of carries. What I'm concerned about is impact on the team. Spiller had similar impact to his offense, that AP had to his. With way fewer touches. He legitimately was at AP status last year.

I am in the camp that Spiller can't carry the ball 20+ times a game; but who cares? All Day is All Day, and that is part of what makes him great. Spiller can absolutely handle more touches, but I want to see him in the slot, screens, routes out of the back field, all the stuff AP doesn't do much.

Edited by JaxBills

He is 100% not a top ten back and you continuing the thought of it is mind blowing.

Wow, I thought I kicked the hornets nest... I agree, I made my best debate to slide him up the list from 16, and could only stretch him to (absolute best homer case scenario) 11. All around individual skill, 11... Fantasy, 20-25.... Someone needs to all dudes shrink...