Bills vow Doug Marrone will make them winners

papazoid

Are we so rosy eyed optimistic that we seek to validate our views from yellow journalism?

Are we so surprised that organizations across the entire spectrum employ PR on a regular basis?

I'm not sure who's seeking to validate their views one way or the other, but you may want to check to see if Sully has anything new.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HomerTheRobot your outlook is appreciated and much needed !!

And I suppose you want RWS to be empty on Sunday until this team "starts winning?" Oh, but don't come back too fast. Remember what happened the last time we were 4-1.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Ah yes, the supposed "realistic" viewpoint we all know and love. I don't know of anyone walking around with blinders on -- I just see a large group of fans who are starved for a winner and want to feel good about what's happening, and a smaller (but more vocal) group who insist upon tamping down enthusiasm every chance they get.

I know how I want to live my life.

Well said.

This is the worst I've ever seen the training camp trolling.

They'll get bored soon. They'll get bored sooner if people stop feeding them, though.

And I suppose you want RWS to be empty on Sunday until this team "starts winning?" Oh, but don't come back too fast. Remember what happened the last time we were 4-1.

PTR

not at all, sellouts are the most crucial factor in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

hope you didn't take the Homer comment the wrong way, I appreciate your usual positive take on things.

not at all, sellouts are the most crucial factor in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

hope you didn't take the Homer comment the wrong way, I appreciate your usual positive take on things.

I did, Sorry. Obviously the Bills have to sell out to maintain the case that WNY belongs in the NFL. That's job 1 for Brandon.

I did, Sorry. Obviously the Bills have to sell out to maintain the case that WNY belongs in the NFL. That's job 1 for Brandon.

Nah. I'm pretty sure job 1 is blowing smoke up our asses. At least that's what I read around these parts. When I'm not busy trying to validate my viewpoints by reading elsewhere.

GO BILLS!!!

Can somebody point out where the BIlls or Brandon vowed anything?

I heard Brandon say that he believes Marrone will win. Did you expect him to say he plans on losing a lot with his latest hire? :lol:

THE VOW: "This guy will win!' Brandon declared.

Told this was a presumptuous statement, Brandon stared hard at his questioner, eyes serious and repeated himself.

"He will win," he said. "I believe it."

Later, Brandon amended his promise, diluting his words as if, perhaps, they were not what an NFL executive should say about a coach before his team has played a game.

"We didn't get into this to hope to win and sell hope," he said. "We expect to win and we believe Coach Marrone will win."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--bills-vow-doug-marrone-will-make-them-winners-200622445.html

Edited by papazoid

Are we so surprised that organizations across the entire spectrum employ PR on a regular basis?

I'm not sure who's seeking to validate their views one way or the other, but you may want to check to see if Sully has anything new.

GO BILLS!!!

Let's focus a little bit on the distinctions and what my comments were about. I don't think the Bills will be the worst team in the league this year. The silver linings on defense are enough to eek out a few more wins. But there are still many questions surrounding this team and no one really knows how the rookie coach will handle the big leagues. History isn't kind to first time coaches.

I also get a kick out of the sunshiners' annual lovefest with the team's new direction. I get it, it's a fan site and there's always a reason to be optimistic about your team, especially when this time it looks to be different. But there's nothing in the past performance of this team that should indicate that suddenly the front office has seen the light.

What really got me is that the sunshiners love to bash the local press who are paid to be objective in covering the team. Then they bring in opinions of the national press guys under the pretense that the national press doesn't have an axe to grind with OBD and will be more objective. If you look at the history though, the local press has been more right than not when looking into a rear view mirror.

I also don't fault Brandon & Co for putting out the positive spin on the eve of the season. It's his job. But I also think the team has gone into overdrive in using the media to push their rebuilding. Please don't try to sell the Yahoo piece as a piece of journalism. It was an extension of the Bills' PR department and people should see the article for what it was. Again, would people give it the same consideration if it was written by Chris Brown or Scott Berchtold?

Are we so jaded now that we research every possible angle to support a conclusion any positive or optimistic piece of journalism is somehow deceitful and/or a marketing ploy?

:wallbash::doh:

Is this article a bull ****? How sad if it is but evened sadder that anything positive with this franchise has to be investigated by it's fans. Who's the world super sleuth that took it upon themselves to expose such fraudulent propaganda??! Hey, thanks Sherlock, another case solved! I haven't been around much lately and I can't say that I have missed this forum too much. As pathetic as this franchise has been the last dozen or so years, a portion of the fanbase is just as equal in their support of it. That portion seems to migrate here. Fans here can't seem to express their opinions without getting attacked more times than not. When did it all get so miserable? Are we that much in need to have this franchise gain some modest success for us not to turn on one another? Where are the days of the unbridled enthusiasm that used to flow so freely here??! I'm sorry but this forum turned into a toilet. There's no need for me to read these "publicity" pieces on the organization anymore, never did much anyways, I trust more in what I see. It's kind of like the same reason why I don't vote, it's all media bulkshit, manufactured images packaged for mass popularity. Now with that being said I also don't to come and watch the daily backbiting and cynical garbage that seems to have festered here! How sad and pathetic it has all became being associated with this organization in so facets. The season can't start soon enough!

THE VOW: "This guy will win!' Brandon declared.

Told this was a presumptuous statement, Brandon stared hard at his questioner, eyes serious and repeated himself.

Later, Brandon amended his promise, diluting his words as if, perhaps, they were not what an NFL executive should say about a coach before his team has played a game.

"We didn't get into this to hope to win and sell hope," he said. "We expect to win and we believe Coach Marrone will win."

http://sports.yahoo....-200622445.html

Not even close lol. He's answering an interviewer's questions.

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – It was a bold thing the president and CEO of the Buffalo Bills said on the practice field at St. John Fisher College the other day. Russ Brandon hadn't meant his words to sound audacious. But he was overtaken with this ebullience, a sensation that hasn't exploded inside him in so many years. And as he talked about the new football coach he has hired – a man named Doug Marrone – he grew more and more effusive about the man's genius until the words just blurted out.

"This guy will win!' Brandon declared.

http://sports.yahoo....-200622445.html

I'm sure he will win something, I just don't see enough talent on the Team to compete with the Big Boys of the NFL. It's not Marrone's fault if they can't win. It's management's fault. Overpaying crybabies (Williams) and Not signing good players (Levitre and Byrd). Gotta put good players out there not 1st and 2nd year guys and expecting them to be world beaters!

Let's focus a little bit on the distinctions and what my comments were about. I don't think the Bills will be the worst team in the league this year. The silver linings on defense are enough to eek out a few more wins. But there are still many questions surrounding this team and no one really knows how the rookie coach will handle the big leagues. History isn't kind to first time coaches.

I also get a kick out of the sunshiners' annual lovefest with the team's new direction. I get it, it's a fan site and there's always a reason to be optimistic about your team, especially when this time it looks to be different. But there's nothing in the past performance of this team that should indicate that suddenly the front office has seen the light.

What really got me is that the sunshiners love to bash the local press who are paid to be objective in covering the team. Then they bring in opinions of the national press guys under the pretense that the national press doesn't have an axe to grind with OBD and will be more objective. If you look at the history though, the local press has been more right than not when looking into a rear view mirror.

I also don't fault Brandon & Co for putting out the positive spin on the eve of the season. It's his job. But I also think the team has gone into overdrive in using the media to push their rebuilding. Please don't try to sell the Yahoo piece as a piece of journalism. It was an extension of the Bills' PR department and people should see the article for what it was. Again, would people give it the same consideration if it was written by Chris Brown or Scott Berchtold?

but the Author's Les Carpenter byline says he is a "Yahoo Expert"

Why is it that Yahoo! can post such an insightful article and not the full time Bills staff over at The Buffalo News? What about the real insider Tim Graham? Isn't this kind of story right up his ally? Or, maybe not as it doesn't contain nearly enough left-handed swipes.

Maybe it would take him away from focusing on whether or not Doug Marrone was right to get annoyed with a journalist at camp and exactly "how sore" Mario's foot was.

I would think that this type of reporting is something the Sports Editor at The News was looking for. But what do I know, I'm obviously incapable of having a sound opinion because I'm a fan of the team and just a lowly paying customer.

Edited by JimKelly4Pres

but the Author's Les Carpenter byline says he is a "Yahoo Expert"

Yes he is, and under that job, Yahoo is hired by an organization's PR department to help fine tune the message. If we are decrying the state of news in the Internet age, this is Exhibit 1.

Why is it that Yahoo! can post such an insightful article and not the full time Bills staff over at The Buffalo News? What about the real insider Tim Graham? Isn't this kind of story right up his ally? Or, maybe not as it doesn't contain nearly enough left-handed swipes.

Maybe it would take him away from focusing on whether or not Doug Marrone was right to get annoyed with a journalist at camp and exactly "how sore" Mario's foot was.

I would think that this type of reporting is something the Sports Editor at The News was looking for. But what do I know, I'm obviously incapable of having a sound opinion because I'm a fan of the team and just a lowly paying customer.

It's because the Bills give favored access to out of town media and c*ckblock the Buffalo News. That's why the BN is reduced to throwing bricks at the team.

PTR

It's because the Bills give favored access to out of town media and c*ckblock the Buffalo News. That's why the BN is reduced to throwing bricks at the team.

PTR

So which came first, the Bills blocking access or the local media throwing bricks? Isn't it the paper's job to fix these relationships? I've heard the local media on this point, citing "journalistic integrity" most of the time. But you know what, a lot of writers are able to be critical without blowing up their rolodex.

Ah yes, the supposed "realistic" viewpoint we all know and love. I don't know of anyone walking around with blinders on -- I just see a large group of fans who are starved for a winner and want to feel good about what's happening, and a smaller (but more vocal) group who insist upon tamping down enthusiasm every chance they get.

I know how I want to live my life.

Damn, I am having a hard time swallowing the hook, line & sinker from lunch yesterday ... hold on a second, I need to go cancel an order I placed for an extremely rare coin which is most likely really going to be worth something someday. But I have to commend Russ Brandon, the bait on that hook tasted pretty good.

This spoon-fed interest piece can certainly be seen as a blurring of the lines journalistically, but it is hardly anything new. And the tone of the article basically echoes what Peter King and Pat Kirwan have already written about the 2013 Bills in their own "insider" way.

It doesn't change Marrone's coaching ability one iota, nor does it change how well C.J. is going to run, or even how well EJ Manuel might play this year.

And I also simply prefer to view the glass as half-full with this new staff, if only based on all of the changes they have made since we were last led on the field by No We Chan't.

Marrone and Co. had me at "Kelvin, you've been traded."

God forbid Brandon is successful selling tickets so the Bills remain viable.

PTR

I never said that Brandon selling tickets is a bad thing. That's his job and he has been damn good doing it.

Simply stating my opinion that when marketing boy Brandon makes a statement this his shiny new coach is going to take a team that has been bad for 13 seasons and turn them into winners, it is a PR statement to sell tickets. No more, no less. Pretty simple actually.