Mom w/baby fined $219 for not having exact change for bus

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky she was in Canada. In this country, she would've been tasered.

and taken away in handcuffs, her child confiscated by CPS and her income tax records scrutinized.

Let's look at the bright side though. She got free medical care for her kid. What a loving government that blows such sweet kisses to its population and never does an unkind thing to its people. I think I might cry.

Just give the bus driver the 5 bucks and say: "Keep the change." Is that exact.

??

How does any machine nowadays NOT except bills... Heck, vending machines do. Wouldn't there be a system that if the machine didn't have enough to make change, it could give you a voucher? How can you not board a bus with MORE MONEY on you?

Here on the trains, you can buy the ticket right from the conductor checking your ticket. Same thing with those inspectors, no ticket, then you buy one right from them... Refuse, then get the citation. Oh wait, it is Canada...

Lucky she was in Canada. In this country, she would've been tasered.

No. On the Metra here, she would been just asked to buy the ticket... She gives the inspector 5 bucks, they give 2 bucks back... End of story.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Probably the worst scum of the earth are the people who work for stm.

Well, you are from that area... Why wouldn't those inspectors just take the lady's 5 bucks, make her 2 bucks change... Case closed. It is obvious the bus driver couldn't make change. WTF? The conductor/inspector can't make change either?

Well, you are from that area... Why wouldn't those inspectors just take the lady's 5 bucks, make her 2 bucks change... Case closed. It is obvious the bus driver couldn't make change. WTF? The conductor/inspector can't make change either?

Because that's how they are. They are the scum of the earth.

When I lived in SF I took the bus all the time. It was the best way to get around especially seeing the parking sucks and even better if you're drinking. Not getting change is the nature of the beast. Here it's $2. You always need to make sure you had $2 on you if you were taking the bus. I has a Clipper card that you scan as you get on and it automatically reloads from your credit card. Now don't get me wrong I don't get the fine but if you ride the bus at all you know there is no change.

Question. What's a bus inspector?

I saw them in Germany. They are uniformed enforcers of the travel laws. You can hop on a bus or train and maybe you don't have to show your ticket to anyone - except them... if they happen to board your train/bus. They're like a roving band of uber conductors. Achtung!

After the Zimmerman fiasco, I will refrain from forming an opinion until more facts come out.

This doesn't make any sense.

(I have a feeling that she refused to pay unless she could get change back, which would make this her fault.)

not according to the story. I believe her and Meazza.

I do not know. I think it is like Nanker said. Here, there are conductors on the trains. If they ask fo a ticket and one doesn't have one, you buy it from them. I think it is slightly more than the machine. Say, you are in a hurry and can't get a ticket, just jump on the train and go. Now, if they don't ask for a ticket, I guess you just rode free...

What seems to be the problem w/this lady... She had more than enough for fare.

Now don't get me wrong I don't get the fine but if you ride the bus at all you know there is no change.

Like I said... She probably took a gamble and hopped on the bus. Now if if one gets "inspected" (and hopefully not injected), pay the premium for purchasing a ticket from "The Inspector." Win-Win. Gets more money and keeps the inspectors/conductors doing their jobs. What's the cost of this fine, alienating ridership? They aren't going to get blood out of a stone w/a $219 ticket... She is riding the bus in the first place! What are they gonna do if she doesn't pay the fine? Make her sit on the Group Dubya bench w/father rapers... Again, she is riding the bus, probably already has to deal w/them...

I don't think so. The driver refused to take the $5 probably because he/she/it was power-tripping or was in fear of their own job record. It sounded to me that the driver made a call to the transit cops who then pulled the bus over so they could make a bust and justify their jobs.

For the record I did witness a young lady get popped by the German transit cops on a trip from Potsdam to Berlin. They were nice -just made her pay the regular rate but they could have given her a 75€ fine. She was good looking and I think the young cop got her phone #. There might have been some more popping going on later. :w00t:

I don't think so. The driver refused to take the $5 probably because he/she/it was power-tripping or was in fear of their own job record. It sounded to me that the driver made a call to the transit cops who then pulled the bus over so they could make a bust and justify their jobs.

For the record I did witness a young lady get popped by the German transit cops on a trip from Potsdam to Berlin. They were nice -just made her pay the regular rate but they could have given her a 75€ fine. She was good looking and I think the young cop got her phone #. There might have been some more popping going on later. :w00t:

I understand and agree. Again, it is what they do here. No change? In a rush? Go have a seat. Cops just being cops... God forbid they have to take a fare! The union wouldn't like it! That's not my job, we are here to bust people. Don't have exact change, just go sit on the train/bus and the conductor/inspector will make it for you @ a premium. Great business model they got going in Montreal. Like the average bus rider is gonna scratch up $219 bucks fine... LoL... Yeah, some deterant. Want that in big bills or small? God forbid, you have a (most likely union) cop/inspector do their job other than bust people with fines... Maybe actually promote ridership...