Salary Cap Update as of 8-1-13.

Buffalo now has $21.8 million in cap room for the 2013 season (per NFLPA records) after Brad Smith wisely decided to restructure his contract. This figure also includes the recent additions of D. Caldwell and T. Hills.

I'm hoping this means that Whaley will consider adding more veteran FAs as we progress towards the start of the season.

Now that Smith no longer has the overly large contract I think he makes the final roster as the #5 or #6 WR/#3 QB/primary KR/backup PR/punt team gunner/KO team gunner. he's a pretty valuable guy to say the least.

I hope we trade or Cut Mario, one of the biggest mistakes this FO has made. Take the cap hit now and get him off the team.

Pump your breaks. His cap hit, while large, is actually structured quite well. We need him on this team. If we were to cut him this year, no high profile free agent would ever sign with Buffalo ever again. Not to mention he makes us better on the field. With his contract people expect him to break Strahan's record every year, which is unrealistic. 10.5 is a huge season for most. I'm willing to bet he betters that this year now that Wanny's Vanilla has melted into Pettine's neapolitan.

Pump your breaks. His cap hit, while large, is actually structured quite well. We need him on this team. If we were to cut him this year, no high profile free agent would ever sign with Buffalo ever again. Not to mention he makes us better on the field. With his contract people expect him to break Strahan's record every year, which is unrealistic. 10.5 is a huge season for most. I'm willing to bet he betters that this year now that Wanny's Vanilla has melted into Pettine's neapolitan.

Good post!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope we trade or Cut Mario, one of the biggest mistakes this FO has made. Take the cap hit now and get him off the team.

Please - the rarest and most sought after skill set (after QB) is the ability to rush the passer. Mario, even in an injury tinged off season, had 10.5 sacks. That's just year one of his contract. No way you toss that kind of ability aside. Bills have plenty of cap space, and you do not get better by cutting your best pass rusher.

I can't believe that even has to be said.

Please put the crack pipe down before you decide to post next time, lol

this was laughable

I think you can tell by the responses your opinion was not really cared for on this one

..I didn't offer an opinion..I was commenting on Kellyto83TD's opinion...you're the one thats laughable. Follow the thread.

Someone brought up a good point about having Fitz contract go against that number this year, so by next year the Bills have more money to play with. Is that correct?

The opposite is true. They pushed the majority of the money to next year, likely with the idea that they'd use the space on extending Byrd.

Buffalo now has $21.8 million in cap room for the 2013 season (per NFLPA records) after Brad Smith wisely decided to restructure his contract. This figure also includes the recent additions of D. Caldwell and T. Hills.

I'm hoping this means that Whaley will consider adding more veteran FAs as we progress towards the start of the season.

Now that Smith no longer has the overly large contract I think he makes the final roster as the #5 or #6 WR/#3 QB/primary KR/backup PR/punt team gunner/KO team gunner. he's a pretty valuable guy to say the least.

Many thanks--what I'd be curious about is where we are in terms of "cash to cap", particularly after cutting Anderson. If we have any "cap" room under that metric, I don't quite know why they're not reaching out to someone like Brandon Moore to man the LG spot. Seems to me that we could step up our offensive potential immeasurably by shoring up that potential glaring weakness. If we signed Moore, and he can play to form at 33 (OL can often play into their mid-30's effectively--see Brian Waters with the Pats* two years ago), we'd be pretty solid across our front, and have some depth. Here's to hoping....

Can we use some of that cap room to go ahead and lock Spiller up for 5 or 6 years?? I think Whaley knows Spiller will have a productive season in this scheme as primary RB....why not lock him up now (rather than waiting for him to rack up 2000 yds this year and demanding big bucks next year). Find a middle ground and lock the little fella up for years to come.

Can we use some of that cap room to go ahead and lock Spiller up for 5 or 6 years?? I think Whaley knows Spiller will have a productive season in this scheme as primary RB....why not lock him up now (rather than waiting for him to rack up 2000 yds this year and demanding big bucks next year). Find a middle ground and lock the little fella up for years to come.

Well, they've already got him for the next three years, so that would be one of the earliest extensions in the history of the game. And CJ strikes me as confident enough to realize he will continue to get even better and increase his value. He can be a good team mate and want to stay in Buffalo while still not wanting to pass up the chance at potentially earning many more millions as a reflection of his work.

I could be wrong, but don't be surprised if both CJ and the Bills wait to see how the next two years at least play out. He can make up to $12 million his final year through incentives, which is nothing to sneeze at either. And just to play Devil's advocate, there are plenty of people who think it's less than wise to throw a ton of money at a 29 year old, when RBs historically hit a wall around the age of 30.