Salary Cap Update as of 8-1-13.

Many thanks--what I'd be curious about is where we are in terms of "cash to cap", particularly after cutting Anderson. If we have any "cap" room under that metric, I don't quite know why they're not reaching out to someone like Brandon Moore to man the LG spot. Seems to me that we could step up our offensive potential immeasurably by shoring up that potential glaring weakness. If we signed Moore, and he can play to form at 33 (OL can often play into their mid-30's effectively--see Brian Waters with the Pats* two years ago), we'd be pretty solid across our front, and have some depth. Here's to hoping....

I wrote this the other day:

The projected unadjusted cap for next year is $123 million, same as this year's. The Bills rolled over $10 M in unspent cap space from last year, so their adjusted cap figure is $133 M. They have spent $107 M out of $133 M available this year. If they spend the $10 M (which they can't rollover again), they'll be at $117 M out of the unadjusted $123 M. So the most they could possibly rollover is $6 M.

Therefore, at most, they'll have $129 M as an adjusted cap figure. They have already spent $112 M of next year's cap, which leaves $17 M to sign draft picks (about 5 or 6 mil). So now they're down to about $11 M left to extend Byrd, Wood, Branch, Carrington, Chandler or whomever.

Now if they eat Anderson's dead money this year (and I don't see why they wouldn't), that frees up $3 M for next year.

Since they they restructured Brad Smith's contract and signed those OL guys, the figures are slightly different, but at most, they can still only roll over $6 Mil to next year and they will likely have around $20 Mil to spend on draft picks, FAs, and re-signing whichever guys they want to keep. If you click the link to my post, there is a list of the players on the Bills in the last year of their contract. So while it may not seem like they're in cap trouble, Byrd and Wood will eat up a lot of that space.