Eagles' WR Riley Cooper: Whoops!

Your contention has been that your definition of "black culture", which you and 3rd define as everything wrong with urban America, is used in THE SAME way by "black intellectuals", thus you remove any responsibility from yourself for your misuse and misunderstanding of the issue. To prove this, you post a segment from Don's show where he states TWICE that he is NOT using the term in that way.

And yet, you hold it up as a prop. That's the definition of ignorance.

Greg, quit being such a prick. I made a clear distinction earlier in this thread about the differences between "Black Culture" and black culture. You can choose to change the name of "Black Culture" to "Urban Culture" or "Thug Culture" or any other !@#$ing "Culture" you want. You can strip away all you want but there will still be a "Culture" out there that likes victims, thugs, babies out of wedlock, absentee fathers, and orange jumpsuits. Now to be a part of the "Culture" you don't have to be black, but you'll find the makeup of people adhering to this lifestyle is mainly black. You'll also find a tremendous amount of blacks that abhor this "Culture". Whenever you are involved in a race discussion, you are so afraid of not being pc that you make it impossible to speak freely about "what is" without you indicating that the other person is racist.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urban blight -- though I don't love that term. It's a societal problem, not a cultural problem. Which is the entire point that Tasker is failing to address. It has nothing to do with racial cultures -- you know from living in Oakland that the gangbangers and drug dealers aren't just the young black kids.

Why are you ignoring the massive disparities between black involvment with these issues, and everyone else? Why are you ignoring the fact that many of these blights origionated in the black community? Do you deny that racial groups self-segregate, and develop their own cultural and sub-cultural identities?

You know I can't blame you guys for your beliefs my father thought the same way - he'd tell me about people you can't trust, who thought about nothing but criminal activity, who thought nothing about using violence to achieve their pilfer, and then just spent all their ill gotten gains on flashy clothes, cars and jewelry - of course he was talking about Italians.

You know I can't blame you guys for your beliefs my father thought the same way - he'd tell me about people you can't trust, who thought about nothing but criminal activity, who thought nothing about using violence to achieve their pilfer, and then just spent all their ill gotten gains on flashy clothes, cars and jewelry - of course he was talking about Italians.

Again...........................making the same over-reaching judgements that you are trying (and failing) to assign to conservatives.

....and "pilfer" is a verb, not a noun.

Sounds like he was taking issue with an ethnicity rather than with a culture that exists within that ethnicity, which means he thought something else entirely.

He could have just as easily been talking about the Irish, Chinese, or Jews

Horseshit.

Tom's conclusion does nothing but avoid uncomfortable realities, which I have no patience for. This is a cultural thing; not overarching societal.

And again, as I'm now stating for atleast the 4th time in this thread, Black Culture isn't hereditary, and not all black individuals ascribe to Black Culture.

And you don't see the problem with assigning all the negative aspects of urban decay and classifying it as "Black" Culture?

That's why you're an ass. That's why your argument fails. That's why you have no idea what you're talking about in this discussion. You claim to only deal with realities yet the reality you're propping up is a mirage.

It's poor deductive reasoning and ill conceived logic that has led you down this path. Now I'll ask again, show me a full SPEECH or ARTICLE where one of your esteemed "black intellectuals" use the term Black Culture in the way you are using it.

I'll wait.

Greg, quit being such a prick. I made a clear distinction earlier in this thread about the differences between "Black Culture" and black culture. You can choose to change the name of "Black Culture" to "Urban Culture" or "Thug Culture" or any other !@#$ing "Culture" you want. You can strip away all you want but there will still be a "Culture" out there that likes victims, thugs, babies out of wedlock, absentee fathers, and orange jumpsuits. Now to be a part of the "Culture" you don't have to be black, but you'll find the makeup of people adhering to this lifestyle is mainly black. You'll also find a tremendous amount of blacks that abhor this "Culture".

You don't see the inherent sociological/historical/racial problems that are stirred up when you make the statement that "thug culture" and "black culture" are synonymous? It shows ignorance of the reality of the situation and the root causes of the numbers you and Tasker are holding up as proof. It also makes it very easy to dismiss anything you might bring to the conversation because you're starting from a very uneducated point of view.

Whenever you are involved in a race discussion, you are so afraid of not being pc that you make it impossible to speak freely about "what is" without you indicating that the other person is racist.

I haven't indicated anyone is racist. Nor am I a fan of being PC. In fact, quite the opposite.

That would depend the stage of life an individual might be at now wouldn't it you knucklehead!

It depends more on whether or not you're a moron.

And you don't see the problem with assigning all the negative aspects of urban decay and classifying it as "Black" Culture?

That's why you're an ass. That's why your argument fails. That's why you have no idea what you're talking about in this discussion. You claim to only deal with realities yet the reality you're propping up is a mirage.

I'd call it "black culture," only because the low-income African-American community seems to have taken inner-city culture as a token of identity (why else would they B word about Eminem "stealing" their culture?")

But it is, more accurately, considered low income inner-city culture. Plenty of white-trash inner city !@#$s engage in it too.

It's poor deductive reasoning and ill conceived logic that has led you down this path. Now I'll ask again, show me a full SPEECH or ARTICLE where one of your esteemed "black intellectuals" use the term Black Culture in the way you are using it.

I'll wait.

Urban decay is a cop out: the reason it's described as "Black Culture" is that it has become some prevalent in that community that it's become the social norm, rather than the exception; and all of the data backs that up. It's sad that you've taken a position which doesn't actually examine the problems, and is only likely to perpetuate the problems this community faces.

You know I can't blame you guys for your beliefs my father thought the same way - he'd tell me about people you can't trust, who know nothing about crime but claim mob ties and make thinly veiled references to being in the mafia anyway, who thought nothing about using unreasonably loud voices at inappropriate times and would slip meager bribes to achieve favorable treatment at the Olive Garden, and then just spent all their obnoxiously gotten gains on tacky clothes, spray tans and chinsy jewelry - of course he was talking about Italians.

Fixed.

Your father was spot on.

Edited by Jauronimo

Why are you ignoring the massive disparities between black involvment with these issues, and everyone else? Why are you ignoring the fact that many of these blights origionated in the black community?

I'm not ignoring anything. At all. That's the point. You're leaving out a massive swath of pertinent information on this subject when you arrive at your simple-mined and ignorant conclusion that the cause is your mythical (and still yet to be proven accurate) "Black Culture". You're claiming that the only reason these numbers exist is a culture of victimhood. That's a FRACTION of the answer. And limiting yourself to only a fraction of the equation is why you are so far off based with your line of thought on this matter.

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on the issue before staking claim to the intellectual high ground. If you believe in cause and effect as you claim, then I'll allow you do the historical math and answer this question for yourself.

Do you deny that racial groups self-segregate, and develop their own cultural and sub-cultural identities?

This has zero to do with the discussion at hand. If I want to hold an sociological discussion on the matter I'd rather do it with someone who knows what they're talking about. You have demonstrated repeatedly that you do not know enough about this subject.

The reality of the situation is that it's easier for you to write this off as a cultural problem rather than to examine the reality. Ignorance is bliss.

Urban decay is a cop out: the reason it's described as "Black Culture" is that it has become some prevalent in that community that it's become the social norm, rather than the exception; and all of the data backs that up. It's sad that you've taken a position which doesn't actually examine the problems, and is only likely to perpetuate the problems this community faces.

So, looking at the problem from all angles and context rather than cramming a square peg into a round hole is a cop out? That's your defense now? Tell me, oh-great-bullshiiter- how does identifying the problem as Black Culture lead to solutions? What solutions does it offer?

You are even more of an asshat than I realized before.

I'd call it "black culture," only because the low-income African-American community seems to have taken inner-city culture as a token of identity (why else would they B word about Eminem "stealing" their culture?")

Calling it that does nothing to help identify the problem. Which is the point. It creates division, not unity. And unity is what is needed to solve the problems facing urban America.

A poor black kid has more in common with a poor white kid than he does a rich black kid. That's America today. Progress met with a backwards slide.

So, leaving aside the multiple pages arguing whether Black Culture is a legitimate term, what exactly are the real reasons for the socioeconomic disparity for blacks? What caused the urban blight?

He could have just as easily been talking about the Irish, Chinese, or Jews

Not really, the Irish are drunks , he didn't have much to say about the Chinese or Jews, the Polish are dumb but strong, you had to watch Hispanics because they may be small but they carry knives, Indians can be drunk as hell but still walk a straight line and WASPs have no sense of community and never give another WASP a leg up.

So, leaving aside the multiple pages arguing whether Black Culture is a legitimate term, what exactly are the real reasons for the socioeconomic disparity for blacks? What caused the urban blight?

As I answered before, the answer to that would take a book. And there are hundreds of books out there on the subject written from all perspectives.

Calling it that does nothing to help identify the problem. Which is the point. It creates division, not unity. And unity is what is needed to solve the problems facing urban America.

A poor black kid has more in common with a poor white kid than he does a rich black kid. That's America today. Progress met with a backwards slide.

I don't disagree. But you have to convince the blacks that embrace "black culture" AS black culture...therein being the root of the problem.

Really, the root of the problem is that ANYTIME you describe something with superficialities, you're being retarded.

As I answered before, the answer to that would take a book. And there are hundreds of books out there on the subject written from all perspectives.

But obviously only a single perspective has been the accepted credo for the urban blight solution over the last 50 years, yet things are still bad. I wonder why?

I don't disagree. But you have to convince the blacks that embrace "black culture" AS black culture...therein being the root of the problem.

But again, that's a waste of time because it's not a real situation. More white have bought into the hip hop culture than black kids. Hell, hip-hop SMASHED Rock & Roll's right in it's tracks, derailing it (commercially) almost completely. That was not done with only dollars from the African American community. Yes, there are people who would identify themselves in that way -- but they'd span the spectrum of race and have more in common economically than racially.

This isn't a race issue, it's an economic and societal issue.

Really, the root of the problem is that ANYTIME you describe something with superficialities, you're being retarded.

Absolutely.

But obviously only a single perspective has been the accepted credo for the urban blight solution over the last 50 years, yet things are still bad. I wonder why?

What perspective is that?

This isn't a race issue, it's an economic and societal issue.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Expand on these topics please.

What perspective is that?

The perspective in the most effective way to "help" the black community.

The perspective in the most effective way to "help" the black community.

I'm not trying to be dense here -- but I don't understand what you're getting at. I'm not supporting policy or even advocating one. I'm debating context and causation.