Eagles' WR Riley Cooper: Whoops!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to speak intelligently about a subject, you must know what it is you're talking about. In this aspect, you clearly do not know what you are talking about. If you did, you'd realize that you are taking ONLY the negatives and ascribing them to an entire culture which is NOT what the men and women you are referencing had in mind when they "coined" the term.

They didn't "coin" the term, they used it exactly as I have.

Perhaps you're making the absurd, yet saddly common, argument that white people can't be critical of black people; and if they are, they certainly can't do it using the same language?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

You're offering Don Lemon up as a scholar? :lol:

I'm offering Don Lemon up as an intellectual.

I happen to greatly respect his credentials and his work. His journalistic efforts have won him both an Emmy and an Edward R. Murray Award, and Ebony magazine has listed him amongst the 150 most infuential black Americans.

They didn't "coin" the term, they used it exactly as I have.

Perhaps you're making the absurd, yet saddly common, argument that white people can't be critical of black people; and if they are, they certainly can't do it using the same language?

The only one making absurd claims is you, my friend. The funny thing about that Don Lemon link you shared is NOT ONCE does he use the term "black culture".

So again, link me a speech where one of these "intellectuals" you cite use the term in the same fashion you do.

I happen to greatly respect his credentials and his work. His journalistic efforts have won him both an Emmy and an Edward R. Murray Award, and Ebony magazine has listed him amongst the 150 most infuential black Americans.

The stench of your bullshiit is strong in this post. There's NO way you greatly respect anything on CNN.

Edited by tgreg99

I happen to greatly respect his credentials and his work. His journalistic efforts have won him both an Emmy and an Edward R. Murray Murrow Award, and Ebony magazine has listed him amongst the 150 most infuential black Americans.

Fixed that for you. Don Lemon is a highly confused CNN weekend desk anchor and irrespective of his high visibility/accolades. He's no deep thinker on Black Culture, he's an underwhelming commentator that can see and describe what's happening. However, he has no clue as to why those conditions exist nor any remedy to solve any of the problems.

He's a lightweight IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Fixed that for you. Don Lemon is a highly confused CNN weekend desk anchor and irrespective of his high visibility/accolades. He's no deep thinker on Black Culture, he's an underwhelming commentator that can see and describe what's happening. However, he has no clue as to why those conditions exist nor any remedy to solve any of the problems.

He's a lightweight IMO.

All he did was look at Lemon's Wiki Page and use that to prop Lemon up. Forget the fact that the "speech" (which it wasn't) never once used the term Black Culture.

I can't wait to see what other "evidence" Tasker pulls out to support his unbiased and informed opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't know WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT?

There are no lame Ron Burgundy jokes.

:lol: So true.

The only one making absurd claims is you, my friend. The funny thing about that Don Lemon link you shared is NOT ONCE does he use the term "black culture".

So again, link me a speech where one of these "intellectuals" you cite use the term in the same fashion you do.

Ignoring the context of the conversation doesn't suit you; not does it bolster your argument. The conversation was about Black Culture, his comments were made in that context.

The stench of your bullshiit is strong in this post. There's NO way you greatly respect anything on CNN.

I greatly respect the work of individuals. Lemon has done excellent work on some very important issues.

All he did was look at Lemon's Wiki Page and use that to prop Lemon up. Forget the fact that the "speech" (which it wasn't) never once used the term Black Culture.

I can't wait to see what other "evidence" Tasker pulls out to support his unbiased and informed opinion. :rolleyes:

He has no evidence to support the nonsensical, pseudo-intellectual rubbish that's been spewed in this thread. He merely co-opted a term that fits his ill-conceived perspective.

I predict you'll be waiting for a while. :lol:

He's a lightweight IMO.

Stop being coy. Just call him an Uncle Tom, because that's exactly what you mean.

Ignoring the context of the conversation doesn't suit you; not does it bolster your argument. The conversation was about Black Culture, his comments were made in that context.

I greatly respect the work of individuals. Lemon has done excellent work on some very important issues.

Your contention has been that your definition of "black culture", which you and 3rd define as everything wrong with urban America, is used in THE SAME way by "black intellectuals", thus you remove any responsibility from yourself for your misuse and misunderstanding of the issue. To prove this, you post a segment from Don's show where he states TWICE that he is NOT using the term in that way.

And yet, you hold it up as a prop. That's the definition of ignorance.

All he did was look at Lemon's Wiki Page and use that to prop Lemon up.

Actually, no. Though I can certainly laugh as you takes efforts to disparage the facts about his body of work.

Forget the fact that the "speech" (which it wasn't) never once used the term Black Culture.

Should I have included "public statements" in my list of offerings? I figured you were bright enough not to split hairs over that issue since I mentioned articles. Also, nevermind that the arena for his statements was a discussion about "Black Culture", right?

I can't wait to see what other "evidence" Tasker pulls out to support his unbiased and informed opinion.

Actually, I'm content to allow you to to feign indignation and pretend that I'm not using common vernacular in it's proper context.

Stop being coy. Just call him an Uncle Tom, because that's exactly what you mean.

Do you understand what Uncle Tom represents? Honestly... do you understand the character's place in our social and artistic history? This is a rhetorical question of course because clearly you do not. For someone who claims to have no interest in race baiting, you sure do seem hellbent on accusing everyone else of doing it. Psychiatrists have a term for that: over-compensation.

Actually, no. Though I can certainly laugh as you takes efforts to disparage the facts about his body of work.

Funny. Then I guess it's just a coincidence that your retort about Lemon's credentials: "Emmy and an Edward R. Murray Murrow Award, and Ebony magazine has listed him amongst the 150 most infuential black Americans," is the same beat for beat as his wiki page:

This from his Wiki page:

"Lemon won an Emmy Award ... an Edward R. Murrow Award ... and was voted as one of the 150 most influential African Americans by Ebony magazine in 2009.[9]

Coincidence? :thumbdown:

And I haven't disparaged his work at all -- other than the fact he works for CNN which is pretty much universally considered to be a black hole of intellectual honesty.

Should I have included "public statements" in my list of offerings? I figured you were bright enough not to split hairs over that issue since I mentioned articles. Also, nevermind that the arena for his statements was a discussion about "Black Culture", right?

You can keep pretending that you're ignorance is backed by other "black intellectuals" but you're not fooling anyone anymore. You're full of shiit on this subject. And if you could be honest about it, you'd see. The "arena" for his statements were about a portion of the African American population NOT THE ENTIRETY OF BLACK CULTURE.

Do you see the difference? Or are you letting your biases blind you to the fact that you've wandered off the reservation and are now alone in crazy land?

Actually, I'm content to allow you to to feign indignation and pretend that I'm not using common vernacular in it's proper context.

And yet you've still yet to provide ONE speech or article or paper written by a black intellectual that uses the term in the context that you are using it.

Again, step your game up and know what you're talking about, or take your beating like a man.

Your contention has been that your definition of "black culture", which you and 3rd define as everything wrong with urban America, is used in THE SAME way by "black intellectuals", thus you remove any responsibility from yourself for your misuse and misunderstanding of the issue. To prove this, you post a segment from Don's show where he states TWICE that he is NOT using the term in that way.

And yet, you hold it up as a prop. That's the definition of ignorance.

Then if what they're describing isn't true black culture (and I agree that it's not the right term) then what term would you use to descibe a culture of sigle mothers, gangs, unemployment, drug use, criminal activity and violence? And keep in mind I now live in Oakland after having lived 25 years in predominantly white areas that had relatively little of those problems.

http://www.zimbio.co...s Black Culture

"This is actually word for word what Bill Cosby said to a gathering of students who asked about the bailout in America.

Here is Cosby’s response about Black students and culture…"

Again, Dr. Cosby never uses the term "black culture" as the blanket statement that Tasker is sticking to. And, more importantly, pay attention to the closing statements he makes. Like all great thinkers, Dr. Cosby ends up supporting DC Tom's original conclusion.

Then if what they're describing isn't true black culture (and I agree that it's not the right term) then what term would you use to descibe a culture of sigle mothers, gangs, unemployment, drug use, criminal activity and violence? And keep in mind I now live in Oakland after having lived 25 years in predominantly white areas that had relatively little of those problems.

Urban blight -- though I don't love that term. It's a societal problem, not a cultural problem. Which is the entire point that Tasker is failing to address. It has nothing to do with racial cultures -- you know from living in Oakland that the gangbangers and drug dealers aren't just the young black kids.

Urban blight -- though I don't love that term. It's a societal problem, not a cultural problem. Which is the entire point that Tasker is failing to address. It has nothing to do with racial cultures -- you know from living in Oakland that the gangbangers and drug dealers aren't just the young black kids.

Whoa, since when does race = culture?

Again, Dr. Cosby never uses the term "black culture" as the blanket statement that Tasker is sticking to. And, more importantly, pay attention to the closing statements he makes. Like all great thinkers, Dr. Cosby ends up supporting DC Tom's original conclusion.

Horseshit.

Tom's conclusion does nothing but avoid uncomfortable realities, which I have no patience for. This is a cultural thing; not overarching societal.

And again, as I'm now stating for atleast the 4th time in this thread, Black Culture isn't hereditary, and not all black individuals ascribe to Black Culture.

Whoa, since when does race = culture?

Nothing, which is the flaw with tgreg's entire position. He's conflating the two.