Peter King's visit to SJF

Of course! No worries, just loved the article and wasn't in tune with everything posted within the Training Camp thread. Plus, I don't know how to delete. I assume they will take care of that for me. :)

I thought about posting this link in its own thread. It was a really great read. Thanks for doing it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part of the article is this:

"The Bills practiced for two hours in the morning, followed by media stuff and the important part of the day: two glasses of Guinness at Thirsty’s, the best bar in the world with no name on it. True. It’s a plain white house in the middle of Pittsford. You’d have to know it, though, to know it’s there."

#highschoolmemories

Followed by a garbage plate right next door at Hungry's!

http://mmqb.si.com/2...alo-bills-camp/

Peter King: Meet the Thrill-a-Minute Bills

Thanks for posting. If you had not posted this as an independent thread, I probably would not have seen it. My favorite part of the article:

“We meet a security guard,’’ said Brandon, “and he asked what we’re doing there, and he asked if we were there to see E.J. I said we were. He said, ‘I’ve been here 37 years, and he’s the best kid we’ve ever had.”

great article firstly. and most importantly

a story or two about thirstys. a hole in the wall in a well heeled neighborhood. been there forever as far as i know.

First story is i had a beer delivery guy kinda helping me back up a Dodge van late 70s model and extended from factory .

So the semi drunken beer delivery guy decides to be helpful and help me back out of the crowded parking lot to be nice.

so i check my mirrors (honestly , i wasnt shitted up this time). and slowly started to back up as i sa him flag me to keep going.

I give the 360 a bit of gas to get it rolling and i dont see the guy all of a sudden. then THUD.

Oh Jeebus what happened?

stop mid back up and get out to find him dusting off and a bit discombobulated.

I reparked the land barge and we went back in to see if he wanted ambulance or anything at all I am a decent guy like that.

I gave him my phone number and bought him a couple beers. he took a good shot but never complained or called.

Thats Thirstys. surprised they carry guiness actually but its been 20 + years.

Hungry i had forgotten about .

Back to the point

Thanks for posting the article . Nice to get some love from the media as rare as it is. i dont even care if it's genuine anymore : )

I think you posted the wrong link. This is the correct one. Or maybe this one?

Of course there was this gem.

And then people wonder why OBD loves the national football writers.

Well, yes, I think all the stories from training camp are going to be on the optimistic side for the NFL writers because this is the time of year everyone can be that way! Except, maybe the Browns - I live in Ohio so there always seems to be gloom and doom about them no matter what time of year it is. Enjoy it for what it's worth. King has a knack for setting the scene of the different camps and bringing in the local flavor and he loves beer, so glad he enjoyed Thirsty's.

I really like your screen name!!! well done! :thumbsup:

Of course! No worries, just loved the article and wasn't in tune with everything posted within the Training Camp thread. Plus, I don't know how to delete. I assume they will take care of that for me. :)

go Fairport !

That made me (an ER guy) just about spit up (and post)--I remember Thirsty's fairly well from my youth (Thursday night's in the summers I was back home), but spent more time down on the ER bar strip, not too surprisingly. Even more so since one of my best friends' godfather was(and still is) the owner of PG's back when they had quarter drafts and 10 cent wings on Monday nights and lines half a block long to get in. My, how things have changed....

That made me (an ER guy) just about spit up (and post)--I remember Thirsty's fairly well from my youth (Thursday night's in the summers I was back home), but spent more time down on the ER bar strip, not too surprisingly. Even more so since one of my best friends' godfather was(and still is) the owner of PG's back when they had quarter drafts and 10 cent wings on Monday nights and lines half a block long to get in. My, how things have changed....

The brown Jug !!! o gosh the rivalry back in the 70s and the stealing and the stupid fights we had at the carnival.

ER guy, i have forgiven you : )) The barbary coast. I spent some time in ER bars back when. PGs on the corner !

good wings too. I hit em all. Like six within 4 blocks if i recall .

yep we have changed. still like beer and wings and Bills football , for better or worse right ?

The little brown Jug has been the trophy awarded to either the East Rochester high school team or the Fairport team at the end of the year. Just as rivalry token. It was great . Big glass case at FPT probably same ER.

That was just americana as it should be back then. even the fighting and stealing girlfriends from town to town. Made for great drama. and some great football

The little brown Jug has been the trophy awarded to either the East Rochester high school team or the Fairport team at the end of the year. Just as rivalry token. It was great . Big glass case at FPT probably same ER.

That was just americana as it should be back then. even the fighting and stealing girlfriends from town to town. Made for great drama. and some great football

Good stuff. While I live in ER now I didn't move here until 3 years ago. originally from the Adirondacks. My small school didn't have football. Love hearing stuff about city rivalries like this. Bet it made for some great times. Adirondacks, ER, Fairport and all over our beloved Bills are the glue......I think I'm drunk right now.......

I agree that that game was great back in the day, until Fairport just got too big and started mauling us. My junior year was the last year ER won the jug, but before that we did a pretty good job regularly beating a school (and many others like it) that were at least 3-4 times our size. Great battles between Don Quinn (our coach) and Coach Santini of Fairport. Epic stuff, and epic antics off the field as well (my buddies and I started the "LIttle Brown Mug" game, a touch game organized by the schools' student councils, our Senior year, for ex.). Someone should make a movie out it. If you know Phillip Seymour Hoffman (a Fairport alum), tell him you have a script for him!