Gilmore Matchups this year - "I want to go against the best"

MClem06

meh.

he shows excellent growth and potential. but he wasnt all THAT last year. NP rookie ! Big upside i think though.

Would like to see him even consider seriously play/attack the run once in a while. acted like a safety protecting a zone. Seemed like abit of a pansy in that area.

Looks like a guy who will be working the refs as much as the receivers. dont like his hand work

Best corner on the team at this point though and no contenders : (

I think the nickle and dime personnel will prove our defense out this year under Pettine although i would dearly love some major linebacker play from Bradham and our boy Alonso , up and coming both i feel.

Edited by 3rdand12

I'm with 3rdand12. Although he did look OK at times, he didn't look all that great to me. 3 picks. Whoopee. Bryan Scott had 4 picks.

And he got a lot of penalties called on him.

I hope to see big improvement from him this year. Hopefully the DC and scheme will help.

Thanks for the understanding, sparking controversy is why this board exists. I also love the turmoil that has ensued with the Jets and Pats offseason have been the best I can remember as far as negative impact. I really hope that our rivalry with Miami heats up. Everyone knows that most of their fans are fair-weather bastards and the only time that the rivalry was heated was when they were good. I live in FL and go to every Miami game. It'll be nice to see the stadium not empty but their fans are the worst bunch of hypocritical drunks. I have some friends that are Miami fans that even will tell me that's the way it is there. They cheer for their team only when they have more wins than losses. We cheer for our Bills and show up for them (well most of us) when they haven't made the playoffs in 13 years. I hope they have something special with EJ. Season can't start soon enough!

Miami is the wild-card in this division. They have an extremely talented defense and an upcoming offense. They could challenge the Pats for the AFC East crown. I think the Bills will be a year away from that and would depend on Manuel's development.

I'm with 3rdand12. Although he did look OK at times, he didn't look all that great to me. 3 picks. Whoopee. Bryan Scott had 4 picks.

And he got a lot of penalties called on him.

I hope to see big improvement from him this year. Hopefully the DC and scheme will help.

Problem is... He did much better then you think.

http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/04/stephon-gilmore-an-elite-cornerback-lost-in-the-failings-of-the-buffalo-bills/

meh.

he shows excellent growth and potential. but he wasnt all THAT last year. NP rookie ! Big upside i think though.

Would like to see him even consider seriously play/attack the run once in a while. acted like a safety protecting a zone. Seemed like abit of a pansy in that area.

Looks like a guy who will be working the refs as much as the receivers. dont like his hand work

Best corner on the team at this point though and no contenders : (

I think the nickle and dime personnel will prove our defense out this year under Pettine although i would dearly love some major linebacker play from Bradham and our boy Alonso , up and coming both i feel.

WTF does a guy have to do to earn the respect from his own fan base? He was a ROOKIE that put together a string of 11 games where he allowed 0, zip, zero, zilch....ZERO touchdowns, and only let about 1/2 of the balls thrown to his man get completed. "Hand work," seriously? Who did you rip that term off of? You're more excited about Bradham and Alonso rather than a guy like Gilmore building off a VERY GOOD rookie season?

OP...if your #'s hold up, then this would be an epic failure...are you playing devil's advocate?

Most of us on here are obsessed with stats, and for a guy to put up those #'s to only get comments about not liking his "hand work?" I'm not saying there is no chance for a sophomore slump, or some let down, but c'mon mannnnnn!! Gilmore is the player I am looking most forward to watching this year.

WTF does a guy have to do to earn the respect from his own fan base? He was a ROOKIE that put together a string of 11 games where he allowed 0, zip, zero, zilch....ZERO touchdowns, and only let about 1/2 of the balls thrown to his man get completed. "Hand work," seriously? Who did you rip that term off of? You're more excited about Bradham and Alonso rather than a guy like Gilmore building off a VERY GOOD rookie season?

OP...if your #'s hold up, then this would be an epic failure...are you playing devil's advocate?

Most of us on here are obsessed with stats, and for a guy to put up those #'s to only get comments about not liking his "hand work?" I'm not saying there is no chance for a sophomore slump, or some let down, but c'mon mannnnnn!! Gilmore is the player I am looking most forward to watching this year.

Agreed 100%.

you got it - count me among those that thought hed be in the top half of the first

Me, too. Guilty as charged.

The decision to forego the Senior Bowl wasn't a big deal in and of itself. He could only have hurt his stock by playing in that game and I wouldn't be surprised if he was advised by his agent not to attend.

I was struck by his demeanor at the draft, however. Not what you want to see from the most important position on the team. Ever.

GO BILLS!!!

The numbers are way off. When I get home I'll help you can out

Plus. I am not worried about the Ravens early in the season.

I have to agree with not worrying about the Ravens here. They are still a good team but it isn't their passing game that worries me, it's some guy named Rice that we need to worry about and that won't involve Gilmore to much.

you seem to be mocking me. Hmm..

re read the second sentence. please.

It was not my intention to depress enthusiasm. I consider the glass half full as far Bills goes.

And by hand work i mean how he HEL almost every one when the got into a break or change of direction. no need to make fun of thats phrase ,its used by D. Henderson too

I dont mean push off either i mean hand grab of the jersey. Way more times then he got called for it.

He played very aggresive on the pass especially in press which is his strength i think. and i like that aspect

I think you have possibly over reacted to me not being thrilled with him last year

Of course he gets a pass and of course i too have very high hopes for him and he is by far and away the best we have at corner.

I think sir you have jumped all over me unfairly.

And i DO think the linebackers are what will make the difference in the Defense not the pash russ per say but stopping the run. Rememeber last year ? 31st against the run out of 32 teams.

Thats the biggest problem imho and it was the linebackers fault.

To your point ,how many TDs did Byrd allow.

Hmmm. coincidence ? I think not

: )

Edited by 3rdand12

Thanks for the understanding, sparking controversy is why this board exists. I also love the turmoil that has ensued with the Jets and Pats offseason have been the best I can remember as far as negative impact. I really hope that our rivalry with Miami heats up. Everyone knows that most of their fans are fair-weather bastards and the only time that the rivalry was heated was when they were good. I live in FL and go to every Miami game. It'll be nice to see the stadium not empty but their fans are the worst bunch of hypocritical drunks. I have some friends that are Miami fans that even will tell me that's the way it is there. They cheer for their team only when they have more wins than losses. We cheer for our Bills and show up for them (well most of us) when they haven't made the playoffs in 13 years. I hope they have something special with EJ. Season can't start soon enough!

Very well done post up sir .

Gathered alot of data have some reasonable projections creating awesome opportunty for dialogue here. And that is almost exactly what i expect Pettine to do. Of course , i suppose because he can and should design defenses around Gilmore as soon as he gets enough trust in him to not let anything to get behind him. For someone who did not stat up with INTs he sure had a nose for the ball.

With out critique of your thoughts written here , i would like to say that Happy is fun kid to watch play. And i sure will be watching his play this year.

I expect to spend some quality time in nfl rewind this season watching Bills players do their thing.

Oh and i expect interceptions off deflections, hurries, pressures, ballhawking and lotsa hustle.

go bills

go bradham and alonso too!

The details of putting Stephon up against the best players an offense can field was even better definition for debate.

First off, thanks to the OP for a great write up and taking the time to do it.

I am in the camp of believing Gilmore is going to be even better this year and has the potential to be a top 5 or better corner in this league. He has a phenomenal attitude for a corner and the work ethic to go with it. I think this kid is going to not only live up to the expectations but also be a Bill for a long time.

I am equally excited about Ron Brooks and Kiko Alonzo on the D in terms of young players in their first or second year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

i too liked the Brooks kid coming out of college. Bit of an underdog. But kill me for it again/ i did expect better play from him even with injury late start etc. rookie stuff NP. my expectations are unrealistic usually

He is getting some praise from Pettine and i will consider that good news.

i too liked the Brooks kid coming out of college. Bit of an underdog. But kill me for it again/ i did expect better play from him even with injury late start etc. rookie stuff NP. my expectations are unrealistic usually

He is getting some praise from Pettine and i will consider that good news.

Yeah, he had some rookie struggles, cant deny that. However, I think he showed a lot of promise and I was really high on him coming out of college and was a first round talent had he been on another team and started full time in college. I don't want to make excuses for him, but I have to factor in the time he missed, the terrible coaching staff, etc into his performance. So, he is one of the guys I am most excited to see this year as I think this kid can play and could surprise a lot of people who kind of forgot about him this year.

Yeah, the praise Gilmore, Brooks, and Kiko have been getting has me excited about the youth on this D. I have a lot of faith and trust in Pettine, so hopefully he lives up to what I expect him to do for this D unit.

I liked it for the most part, but I feel like there are a couple mistakes in there. Against the Patriots, Gilmore most likely won't be on Amendola. He may be our best corner and their best receiver, but Gilmore isn't a slot receiver. You normally put a small, shifty guy on slot corners. My guess is that he won't be covering him too much. Also, in week 10 against the Steelers, you give Roethlisberger too much credit. His style of play has lead to him being beat up and injured half way through the season, then he'll play through injury the second half of the season, showing a noticeable decline in play through that stretch. That entire team is getting old, too. I just don't see them keeping up with our fast-paced offense. I think we grind it out on them, and the only reason Gilmore might let a significant number of catches or yards would be because they're airing it out while trying to play catch-up.

I liked it for the most part, but I feel like there are a couple mistakes in there. Against the Patriots, Gilmore most likely won't be on Amendola. He may be our best corner and their best receiver, but Gilmore isn't a slot receiver. You normally put a small, shifty guy on slot corners. My guess is that he won't be covering him too much. Also, in week 10 against the Steelers, you give Roethlisberger too much credit. His style of play has lead to him being beat up and injured half way through the season, then he'll play through injury the second half of the season, showing a noticeable decline in play through that stretch. That entire team is getting old, too. I just don't see them keeping up with our fast-paced offense. I think we grind it out on them, and the only reason Gilmore might let a significant number of catches or yards would be because they're airing it out while trying to play catch-up.

lol

Ya, Gilmore may suffer as the Steelers air it out to play catch up. Solid prediction at this point.

So you're saying that Gilmore will be giving up 70 Receptions for 1100 yards and 12 TDs? I had to fill in some of my own numbers based on your predictions as you only predicted full numbers in 75% or so of the cases. I think you're way off and he's going to be much more "shut down" than you're projecting. I see more in the range of 50 Receptions for 750 and 4 TDs and a possible Pro Bowl nod.

That`s more like it 750 4or5 tds , Gilmore didn`t even give all those #`s in his rookie yr if he gave up 1100 and 12 tds he should get cut

I came across Gimore stats from last yr its from Bleacher report it wouldn`t let me share so i just copied it.

Targets-82

Receptions-46

Catch %-56.1

YDS-678

TD`s-3

INT-1

Pass Def-8

Passer Rating-90.4

If i remember correctly Gilmore finished real strong and i expect pure shutdown corner this yr in Pettine Defense were DB`s flourish in his system

I came across Gimore stats from last yr its from Bleacher report it wouldn`t let me share so i just copied it.

Targets-82

Receptions-46

Catch %-56.1

YDS-678

TD`s-3

INT-1

Pass Def-8

Passer Rating-90.4

If i remember correctly Gilmore finished real strong and i expect pure shutdown corner this yr in Pettine Defense were DB`s flourish in his system

Bleacher Report is a dubious source (1,000,000,000 times less reliable than wikipedia) however if those numbers are true that is pretty freaking awesome for a rookie corner that was left on an island a considerable portion of the time.