So Much For Worrying About Donald Jones

H2o

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the super fans distraught when he signed with the pats*. Then, claiming the hoody would turn him into the next Welker, would you please stand up and eat crow.

Jones is just one One of 3 completely pathetic NFL receivers carried by Gailey last year. Then when those scrubs were cut the love for them here by some was crazy. Easley who is still on the squad (for now) is the last of the bunch.

Every time a recent Bills starter is cut and then ignored or signed and quickly cut by another NFL team shows you the lack of talent on this franchise. I'd love to see a list of Bills who started games who were later cut who were on NFL rosters opening day the next year. I bet it is a very very short list.

Memories are short. Injury bug decimated our WR corps in the recent past. Depth is a beautiful thing.

It's true that memories are short here, but Donald Jones was sidelined a lot the last two seasons so he wasn't an answer as a depth player.

Again, there was disinterest when he was cut....not an outcry. He just didn't make it. As an athlete, he was not out of place at the NFL level. He was an UDFA but he was a highly recruited WR who committed to an SEC school coming out of HS and ended up at a small school by choice. He ran well at the combine and had the size and build to make tough plays over the middle and that is what the Bills saw in him. His ball skills were lacking though.

It's true that memories are short here, but Donald Jones was sidelined a lot the last two seasons so he wasn't an answer as a depth player.

Again, there was disinterest when he was cut....not an outcry. He just didn't make it. As an athlete, he was not out of place at the NFL level. He was an UDFA but he was a highly recruited WR who committed to an SEC school coming out of HS and ended up at a small school by choice. He ran well at the combine and had the size and build to make tough plays over the middle and that is what the Bills saw in him. His ball skills were lacking though.

This is exactly right.

Jones had some athletic competencies but his biggest weakness was that he was a bad ball athlete, often misjudging balls in the air, mis-timing his jumps, and generally showing mediocre hands.

I have a difficult time criticizing any WR's in-air ball judgment with Ryan Fitzpatrick on the other side of the passes. I once called Fitz erratic. I had a voicemail from erratic, saying I'd offended him.

This is exactly right.

Jones had some athletic competencies but his biggest weakness was that he was a bad ball athlete, often misjudging balls in the air, mis-timing his jumps, and generally showing mediocre hands.

Agreed. Mr. Romes put it perfectly upthread:

Smallest catch radius I've ever seen

I have a difficult time criticizing any WR's in-air ball judgment with Ryan Fitzpatrick on the other side of the passes. I once called Fitz erratic. I had a voicemail from erratic, saying I'd offended him.

You make a good point that Fitz doesn't do anyone any favors, but I think it was still pretty apparent that DoJo wasn't capable of bailing him out, like Yeevie and even Chandler and Nelson could. And I don't mean that as a compliment to Chandler and Nelson (who are decidedly average at best), but rather an indictment of DoJo being that limited.

Jones is a hell of a run blocker tho, I'll def give him that.

Suspect New England thought with some coaching they could correct Donald Jones' game and make a player out of him; appears he needs a better coach to raise his game and he should either go to one of arena leagues (how many left now?) or CFL if he has opportunity and work on his ball catching skills.

We get these guys with marginal NFL talent that are forced into roles that they are not capable of handling. We fall in love with these guys because they work hard and they are "ours".

Donald jones was the type of player we were getting accustomed to seeing on the field. Great motor, has one or two of the key aspects to be very good but severely lacking on several as well. Great story but not going to consistantly be a difference maker.

Kirby and Over 20... make a point that I have been trying to figure out how to make for some point: for too long, we have mistaken good stories for good players and projected success based on the stories becoming players. Jones fit that description to a tee. Marginal talents that are projected as potential core players. That's got to stop.

kj

Kirby and Over 20... make a point that I have been trying to figure out how to make for some point: for too long, we have mistaken good stories for good players and projected success based on the stories becoming players. Jones fit that description to a tee. Marginal talents that are projected as potential core players. That's got to stop.

kj

Nothing wrong with 'marginal' players being signed as UDFAs since some can be very good players with proper coaching, nutrition and training; many would classify Stevie Johnson as marginal player when we drafted him. Issue is when front office depends on such finds and does not continue to use picks and trades to increase quality of players balancing need for other positions.

"So much for worrying about Donald Jones"???????

Can someone please fill me in on why anyone was worried about Donald Jones in the first place? Sure as hell wasn't someone to worry about on the field and he has no knowledge of the new offense, defense or regime...so why were people worried exactly? lmao

I do not know why but read the posts in this thread. At least one person thinks he would still be our number two. Many people still think he is a legitimate NFL receiver. I liked his competitivness, but he was never more than a " last man on the depth chart" player elevated to the number two position by our woeful lack of WR talent under Gailey. I wish him the best, but he is a borderline NFL receiver at best.