Mariano Rivera's entrance in the All-Star Game

The Poojer

I've lost so much interest in baseball but I tuned in last night for two reasons -- to see Matt Harvey and to see Mariano Rivera. Neither disappointed. The Rivera "tribute" was outstanding.

The Mo tribute was great. The game itself turned out to be somewhat boring, but there were lots of good (and a few not so good) things:

--Intros: Mets fans appropriately booing Braves and Phillies players, plus Adam Wainwright (who clearly relished it and was having fun). Cliff Lee looked like an a-hole. Nice hand (appropriately) for Beltran. Nice tribute to the veterans.

--Brandon Phillips at 2d; wow is he good. Machado's play at 3d was another gem. Miggie was clearly the best player in the game, though it was one of those games you could get away with making the sentimental MVP choice with Mo. Andrew McCutchen is another guy who is really fun to watch play.

--Harvey: I thought 'uh-oh' after Trout doubled and he nailed Cano, but he was pretty dominant. In fact, pitching was great all night. Sale in particular was nasty.

--7th inning stretch; possibly the worst rendition of 'God Bless America' I've ever heard. This guy was a star? Also wasn't crazy about the choice of Neil Diamond; how about someone who still has a voice singing New York, New York? The game wasn't in Boston. The girl who sang the NA was ok. I guess we don't really have top notch entertainers who want to do this kind of thing anymore.

Edited by KD in CT

Neil Diamond was brutal, that should not have happened last night. Mark Anthony is awful. Agree about the booing, it's how it should be as long as it doesn't go over the top. I was torn on how they brought Mo in in the 8th but completely understand the logic. That said, I really wanted Prince Fielder to score to take away the save opportunity for the AL(it would have, correct?), if Mo couldn't get the save, no one should have. As much of a Yankee/Mariano fan as I am, I don't think Mo deserved MVP, it was a hollow award last night, not sure who deserved it, but definitely not Mo, not last night.

The Mo tribute was great. The game itself turned out to be somewhat boring, but there were lots of good (and a few not so good) things:

--Intros: Mets fans appropriately booing Braves and Phillies players, plus Adam Wainwright (who clearly relished it and was having fun). Cliff Lee looked like an a-hole. Nice hand (appropriately) for Beltran. Nice tribute to the veterans.

--Brandon Phillips at 2d; wow is he good. Machado's play at 3d was another gem. Miggie was clearly the best player in the game, though it was one of those games you could get away with making the sentimental MVP choice with Mo. Andrew McCutchen is another guy who is really fun to watch play.

--Harvey: I thought 'uh-oh' after Trout doubled and he nailed Cano, but he was pretty dominant. In fact, pitching was great all night. Sale in particular was nasty.

--7th inning stretch; possibly the worst rendition of 'God Bless America' I've ever heard. This guy was a star? Also wasn't crazy about the choice of Neil Diamond; how about someone who still has a voice singing New York, New York? The game wasn't in Boston. The girl who sang the NA was ok. I guess we don't really have top notch entertainers who want to do this kind of thing anymore.

Neil Diamond was brutal, that should not have happened last night. Mark Anthony is awful. Agree about the booing, it's how it should be as long as it doesn't go over the top. I was torn on how they brought Mo in in the 8th but completely understand the logic. That said, I really wanted Prince Fielder to score to take away the save opportunity for the AL(it would have, correct?), if Mo couldn't get the save, no one should have. As much of a Yankee/Mariano fan as I am, I don't think Mo deserved MVP, it was a hollow award last night, not sure who deserved it, but definitely not Mo, not last night.

This was reminiscent of Cal Ripken's final All-Star Game. He was given a meatball to drive out of the park, and he did it.

The three batters Mo faced weren't trying to get on base. Classy move, IMO.

He didn't deserve the MVP. He pitched the 8th inning with no inherited runners and a 3-run lead. Big deal.

But it was his night and I have no problem with him getting it.

I'm glad Harvey showed the world how great he is. I'm glad Cano isn't seriously hurt. I'm glad Mo got into the game. I loved seeing Prince Fielder "turn it on."

This game shouldn't mean anything. I wish it would go back to being an exhibition. Then they could rig stuff whichever way they want to (for the fans and for the sport) and it won't have any effect on the World Series (such an asinine decision).

I don't think the game was rigged. I actually think it's impossible to rig an entire game. But the 8th inning - while not choreographed by anyone - was a parting gift for Mariano Rivera. But I don't think it affected the final score; therefore, I have no problem with it.

GO METS!

I like that the game does mean something. The Pro Bowl means nothing and look at what it's turned into. Granted the game was somewhat boring, but as a former pitcher it's nice to see great pitching dominate.

Harvey was pretty classy during an in game interview. He made a point of apologizing to Cano on camera, he clearly didn't mean to hit him, or at least hurt him. I agree that there wasn't much effort by the batters in the 8th inning.

This was reminiscent of Cal Ripken's final All-Star Game. He was given a meatball to drive out of the park, and he did it.

He didn't deserve the MVP. He pitched the 8th inning with no inherited runners and a 3-run lead. Big deal.

But it was his night and I have no problem with him getting it.

I'm glad Harvey showed the world how great he is. I'm glad Cano isn't seriously hurt. I'm glad Mo got into the game. I loved seeing Prince Fielder "turn it on."

This game shouldn't mean anything. I wish it would go back to being an exhibition. Then they could rig stuff whichever way they want to (for the fans and for the sport) and it won't have any effect on the World Series (such an asinine decision).

I don't think the game was rigged. I actually think it's impossible to rig an entire game. But the 8th inning - while not choreographed by anyone - was a parting gift for Mariano Rivera. But I don't think it affected the final score; therefore, I have no problem with it.

GO METS!

I like that the game does mean something. The Pro Bowl means nothing and look at what it's turned into. Granted the game was somewhat boring, but as a former pitcher it's nice to see great pitching dominate.

It's difficult to compare the All-Star Game to the Pro Bowl. I think it's the helmets, believe it or not. The fun of the All-Star Game, when it was strictly an exhibition, was seeing those guys have fun doing what they love. Seeing the smiles on their faces. Watching them interact with each other and messing around like it was a sandlot game.

That's a lot more difficult when you're in pads and full gear.

As I write this, I'm wondering if a Flag Football Game with the Pro Bowlers would be a good idea. This way, fans could actually see their favorite players having fun playing football.

And I love a good pitchers duel, personally. Great baseball!!

I loved seeing Prince Fielder "turn it on."

I forgot about Prince's triple -- funny as hell. Not bad wheels for a guy his size though you wouldn't want to get in his way; I don't think he stops too quickly.

This was the dumbest possible way to make it mean something. WS home field should be decided by the record of the teams, nothing else. It was an ill-advised face-saving move by Selig after the tie-ASG disaster, and a pretty cynical ploy by Fox to get people to watch.

The SF Giants ride a hot streak into the playoffs, and because 30 guys who don't play for them had a good exhibition game, they get home field advantage? :wacko:

I forgot about Prince's triple -- funny as hell. Not bad wheels for a guy his size though you wouldn't want to get in his way; I don't think he stops too quickly.

That was awesome.

I am a Jays and Mets fan and by nature do not like the Yankees, but was happy to see Rivera get a nice send-off.

I'm sick of hearing about Rivera and how its his last season and he's retiring, can't wait til its all over.

If he wasn't a yankee the wouldn't be making such a huge deal about it everywhere

I respectfully disagree. He is the greatest closer of all time and accomplished it whilst being super classy. Being a Yankee only influences it because they've won so much during his tenure.

I don't think the game was rigged. I actually think it's impossible to rig an entire game. But the 8th inning - while not choreographed by anyone - was a parting gift for Mariano Rivera.

I guess the past 17 years have also been one parting gift as well. Obviously Allen Craig didn't get the memo, as he scorched a ball into LF.

I guess the past 17 years have also been one parting gift as well. Obviously Allen Craig didn't get the memo, as he scorched a ball into LF.

Yeah, I didn't get the sense guys weren't trying at the plate in the 8th. Not many players get a hit off Riveria in the first place, and most of those NLers had probably never faced him.

No idea how you deduced this, but I'm not taking anything away from his career. Nobody can.

If he wasn't a yankee the wouldn't be making such a huge deal about it everywhere

Bull. The guy is one of the most dominant pitchers to ever step on the mound and he's a perfect representative for what professional athletes should be. The fact that he played in the game's largest market is more of a burden for him than a plus because he's done what he's done under a huge microscope.

Mariano Rivera is everything we're supposed to like about sports.