Johnny Football: Drinking problem?

Totally. You never know what's going to happen when the undisputed leader of your football team is known to have issues with the bottle.

jim-kelly-250x250.jpg

Well, there's a difference between the person who demonstrates a hearty enjoyment of alcohol before he's drafted and the person who demonstrates the same after he's drafted.

Perhaps I should have said, "For his own sake, the kid needs to straighten his act out"

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not really the point at all.

Nor is this.

The point is not that the kid went out drinking or that he isn't legally permitted to so.

The point is that there's a possibility that the kid has a drinking problem.

He's previously been arrested for disorderly conduct and possessing a fake ID after a night of drinking and now this chapter where he was unable to fulfill a rather simple obligation that had very little cost and pretty good benefit.

It's particularly telling that he went out drinking after the Mannings sent him home.

The kid needs to straighten his act out.

This is what happened (before he started his freshman year as starter):

Police reports state that Manziel was with a friend who directed a racial slur at a man on the street. The man then approached the two of them trying to get at the friend, but Manziel placed himself between the two men saying his friend didn't mean it and he was going to take him home. The man continued pushing against Manziel to reach the other, and eventually Manziel pushed back. At this point, the man swung at Manziel who then began fighting back. Shortly afterward, the bicycle patrol officers arrived. Manziel, who at the time was 19, presented a fake Louisiana driver’s license to police officers showing himself to be 21

So, not quite as nefarious as you portrayed it.

But even after this mini crime spree, this young kid was able to do the following (I assume while drinking or whatever else he does) in his freshman year:

Win the Heisman, O'Brien, and Manning awards.

Break Archie Manning's (uh oh!!) SECrecord for total offense in a game.

Crush Cam Newton's SEC total season offense.

Set a NCAA FBS record for rushing yards, total offense and number of 300yds passing/100 yds rushing in a season.

Voted All-American by every organization that votes for such.

I don't remember a single report where JM was unable to fulfill his obligations on the field or in the locker room due to his unusually hearty imbibement.

He does need to mellow out (or just shut his mouth), I agree. No one was watching Jim Kelly off the field back in the early 80's (lucky for him, no doubt). Everyone is watching "Johnny Football".

Well, there's a difference between the person who demonstrates a hearty enjoyment of alcohol before he's drafted and the person who demonstrates the same after he's drafted.

Perhaps I should have said, "For his own sake, the kid needs to straighten his act out"

Jim Kelly only developed a hearty enjoyment of alcohol after he left......the University of Miami??

Did I step into a Parish revival meeting?

Who wasn't out drinking in bars 2, 3, 4 or 5 times a week when they were in their late teens and early 20's?

Friday and Saturday were guaranteed, sometimes Sunday night, Monday Night Football and lets not forget ladies night.

^^^^^^^^^^

I hardly think my description was a "nefarious portrayal."

It was pretty much a neutral statement of the facts.

arrest + disorderly conduct + fake ID + night of drinking

Without context, it seems far worse than it was. He was tryign to diffuse a situation and the guy swung at him. He swung back. He had a fake ID.

He subsequently went on to have the greatest season by a freshman (or nearly anyone) ever. No issues. No problems.

The "drinking problem" seems a stretch at this point.

Who wasn't out drinking in bars 2, 3, 4 or 5 times a week when they were in their late teens and early 20's?

Friday and Saturday were guaranteed, sometimes Sunday night, Monday Night Football and lets not forget ladies night.

if you think the act of consuming a beer is the problem, i think youve missed the issue completely.

Without context, it seems far worse than it was. He was tryign to diffuse a situation and the guy swung at him. He swung back. He had a fake ID.

He subsequently went on to have the greatest season by a freshman (or nearly anyone) ever. No issues. No problems.

The "drinking problem" seems a stretch at this point.

i agree its not likely alcoholism as much as general boneheadedness.... you know, giving the cop your fake ID when getting arrested, going out drinking the night you get asked to leave the camp for rumored drinking... the tweet about wanting to leave A&M.... its just not a good look for anybody, yet alone someone you will be handing millions too. im not saying hes Aaron Hernandez here so dont take it as implying that but he generally doesnt have the best rep even outside the reported incidents including a rumored high school arrest that was often discussed with his recruitment. Again, not implying gangster and going to kill someone - but that theres a good chance when you look at the totality of the red flags that hes a bit more ryan leaf than peyton manning.

And Wednesday. That was $1 Rolling Rock night at the bar.

if you think the act of consuming a beer is the problem, i think youve missed the issue completely.

i agree its not likely alcoholism as much as general boneheadedness.... you know, giving the cop your fake ID when getting arrested, going out drinking the night you get asked to leave the camp for rumored drinking... the tweet about wanting to leave A&M.... its just not a good look for anybody, yet alone someone you will be handing millions too. im not saying hes Aaron Hernandez here so dont take it as implying that but he generally doesnt have the best rep even outside the reported incidents including a rumored high school arrest that was often discussed with his recruitment. Again, not implying gangster and going to kill someone - but that theres a good chance when you look at the totality of the red flags that hes a bit more ryan leaf than peyton manning.

That's a much clearer-headed assessment than the notion that the NCAA should make an example of him, and that he should be lumped in with Aaron Hernandez.

Anyway, parenting could go a long way (though the impact that could have on JM is nil at this point), and programs not treating these guys like a separate class of college students would also help. Lowering the drinking age might help. Probably a discussion for another time, though.

That's a much clearer-headed assessment than the notion that the NCAA should make an example of him, and that he should be lumped in with Aaron Hernandez.

Anyway, parenting could go a long way (though the impact that could have on JM is nil at this point), and programs not treating these guys like a separate class of college students would also help. Lowering the drinking age might help. Probably a discussion for another time, though.

its got to be incredibly mind warping to be a high school student going under the moniker "johnny football" across the state of texas.... i can only imagine both the unique pressures, and the special treatments he was receiving dating back earlier than JV even. it seems his play on the field has lived up to it (so far) but hes showing some cracks off the field.

this is likely still only chapter 2 of a long story, so its not fair to say the book is written on him yet, but hopefully he can get his head on square

Problem is when a guy knows he has the spotlight on him and continues to make bad choices. This is now several drinking related stories... And perhaps worse than being asked to leave is showing up at the bars that night. As someone else said - it's not so much a drinking issue as a thinking issue at that point. Thinking issues are not good for the face of your franchise and a leader of men.

What an excellent way to put it into perspective. Johnny Football is by no means the first college athlete to enjoy the spoils that are afforded him at the collegiate level, but if he can not start making some smarter choices, some pro teams may ultimately shy away from making such a large commitment to this guy come April. I am sure the Manning men are not too impressed ... Peyton probably thinks of him in the same class as Mike Vanderjagt - "idiot-QB" perhaps.

I personally don't think he will translate to the pro game very well at all ... I can't see his game/body holding up to NFL defenses. To me, he is just a modern day scrambler in the Flutie mold, with apologies to our crafty old #7.

Prior to this week, he had no problems since he has been starter. This incident is being blown way way out of proportion mainly because there is nothing else to talk about right now. Somebody yesterday suggested this was "the straw that broke the camel's back"--demanding that the NCAA do....something about all this......stuff going on.

He's a kid--there is no precedent for what he has accomplished so quickly. It's the off season. It was only a few years ago that Cam Newton was commiting actual crimes, as well as academic fraud and his own father was pimping him out to the highest college bidder. Many predicted the worst for him in the NFL. He's doing ok.

Red or Black?

Getting kicked out of the Manning Camp <see 'Shield' choir boys> for 'conduct unbecoming' amid the myriad of current negative press is very likely going to have consequences going forward on many fronts. From the NCAA's alleged entitlement institution to League Top Cop Roger Goodell, the time has come for a headline grabbing Poster Boy to feel the heat and take the rap in dramatic, sweeping rule changes, up to and including lifetime ban for scholarships and invitation to the pros. The entitlement axium has far reaching tentacles, including local Law Enforcement. IMO, (ok, my hope is..) we've reached the breaking point of a failed concept and radical changes have to be instituted to ebb the flow. How many businesses hire convicts?

I can't think of a better icon for such drastic change than the 'Johnny Football Rule'

Or we can just change the drinking age to a more appropriate 18 years old

^^^^^^^^^^

I hardly think my description was a "nefarious portrayal."

It was pretty much a neutral statement of the facts.

arrest + disorderly conduct + fake ID + night of drinking

So, typical young person. The only thing that sets him apart is the arrest. Disorderly conduct? Guilty as charged. Fake ID? Guilty as charged. Night of drinking? Guilty as charged X 100. Only difference is he was arrested, I wasn't. I turned out OK (depending on who you ask). He may end up crashing & burning, but it's doubtful. As far as a successful NFL player...I don't see it (but I am anti A&M). I'll have to see more games.

So, typical young person. The only thing that sets him apart is the arrest. Disorderly conduct? Guilty as charged. Fake ID? Guilty as charged. Night of drinking? Guilty as charged X 100. Only difference is he was arrested, I wasn't. I turned out OK (depending on who you ask). He may end up crashing & burning, but it's doubtful. As far as a successful NFL player...I don't see it (but I am anti A&M). I'll have to see more games.

the only thing ill say was noteworthy dumb was giving the cop the fake ID to try and get out of getting caught.

well, that and risking ever even getting to play this year as he was far from a gimme even without any baggage.

Edited by NoSaint

For me, it seems to boil down to:

-Some people are trying to point out that his behavior might hurt his draft stock, and he should consider the consequences of his current actions against his professional future. Fair enough.

-I certainly don't care, and don't think it will hurt his draft stock (provided his play doesn't regress on the field). I also understand (what I imagine) his point of view to be - there aren't many chances to be young and this famous. I was partying my ass off at his age, and loved every minute of it. I can only imagine if I was that level of celebrity. Live life and don't harm others. Right now may very well be the best time of his life.

There is no issue. A 20 year old drinking to excess and having a hangover such that he can't make a guest appearance at a football camp is a poor choice, and a common one among kids that age, but it isn't an issue. If he starts missing practices or if alcohol is effecting his performance on the field, then its an issue.

I love all the posts that say well i did it what's the big deal. He's not you. He's not an average 20 year old. He is an athlete and a very famous one at that. He is looking at potentially millions of dollars. Millions of people know his name and face. I'm sure that is completely different then your circumstance of being a no name college student hoping to gain an entry level job after graduation.

As others have said this speaks directly to irresponsibility and poor decision making. He is not handling his fame well. Is it too late for him? That is up to him to decide. However if he has another record setting year some team will draft him high and pin their hopes on him. Right now his .02 head would concern me greatly. Does he want to be Peyton manning or Ryan leaf? Right now his ship isn't headed in the right direction...