Chris Brown is a Deceptive Hack (Clady's contract and Byrd)

Chris Brown reporting on what the Ryan Clady contract means for Jarius Byrd is highly deceptive.

First, Brown misstates the size of the contract. Clady's base is $52.5 M, or $10.5 M per year, not $11.5 M.

Second, since $11.5 million is $1.7 million greater than the $9.8 million franchise tag, Brown assumes that Byrd must likewise seek $1.7 million more than his $6.9 million franchise tag. This makes no sense to use gross dollar figures to make a comparison across positions with very different cap figures.

It is far more logical to use the percentage difference between the per-year average and the tag. Clady's $10.5 million annual salary is 7% more than the $9.8 million franchise tag for offensive linemen. A 7% premium to Byrd's $6.9 million tag would be an annual average of $7.4 million. An annual average of $7.4 million would be a great contract from the Bills' perspective.

The bottom line: The Bills are not willing to budge from their sub-market offer. As a result, Byrd will sign a one-year contract for the $6.9 million in exchange for contractual language that the Bills cannot use the tag in 2014. The Bills will gladly accept this condition since they have no intention of tagging him again at $8.3 million next year. Byrd will then sign elsewhere at market rates (about an $8 million per year average with $25 million guaranteed).

Chris Brown is now desperately trying to distort the facts of the situation by making it appear that the problem is Byrd's exorbitant contract demands or the premium agents demand to the franchise tag. It is really pathetic to watch, but not nearly as pathetic as watching many people on this message board fall for his B.S.

No where did he say anything about exorbitant demands or Byrd and his agents being in the wrong. Those were your words, he said nothing like that at all. Nobody here is falling for anything like you say. He was only making a guess. You made yours. Either way he is playing in buffalo this year.

Not only is the lead cheerleaders description deceptive, he cites the max amount of Clady's deal as the actual contract amount. Are there likely to be earned incentives? I know Clady's deal, for some bonuses to kick in, mean he needs to be voted All-Pro twice to get close to 57.5M.

I can't wait for the articles to continue about how Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, and Jonathan Meeks are playing well in camp while Byrd holds out.

I can't wait for the articles to continue about how Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, and Jonathan Meeks are playing well in camp while Byrd holds out.

I get your point, but if they are actually playing well, should he not report that for fear of being labeled a cheerleader?

Or must he include a disclaimer? Something like, "Aaron Williams turns in yet another great practice- but surely Byrd would've been even better."

Edited by uncle flap

Chris Brown is now desperately trying to distort the facts of the situation by making it appear that the problem is Byrd's exorbitant contract demands or the premium agents demand to the franchise tag. It is really pathetic to watch, but not nearly as pathetic as watching many people on this message board fall for his B.S.

All of this is your opinion and none is supported by facts. It appears your post is a hack job and if I was to speculate like you did I would say because you are a troll, want to lick Byrd's balls or that you are being paid by his agent Parker. Equal number of facts.

This:

It appears your post is a hack job and if I was to speculate like you did I would say because you are a troll, want to lick Byrd's balls or that you are being paid by his agent Parker.

Byrd's good, but not THAT good. He's a one-year wonder ballhawk who can tackle. That's great stuff, but the man can't do everything. I'd rather have Aaron Williams in 'man' coverage all day long.

The other thing is: Clady's major role is to protect Peyton Manning. Byrd's is... exactly what ?

~AS

This:

Byrd's good, but not THAT good. He's a one-year wonder ballhawk who can tackle. That's great stuff, but the man can't do everything. I'd rather have Aaron Williams in 'man' coverage all day long.

~AS

Or another way to state that is, Aaron Williams until proven otherwise, has a equal chance of winning the "Cornell Green Award" meaning another useless player at his respective position signed or drafted by a bumbling franchise. Of course both players were products of the famed yet unsuccessful ex GM Buddy Nix. Lights Out is another example. Fitz anyone? And there are more.

But, Aaron Williams>Jarius Byrd WOW. Can it get any better here? We'll find out soon when the games start and off season Bills awards become a distant memory for 17 weeks while the bullets fly. Then the Kool-Aid will again be available in barrels, for another long offseason. After missing the playoffs yet again. Drink up now September is closing in fast.

Chris Brown reporting on what the Ryan Clady contract means for Jarius Byrd is highly deceptive.

First, Brown misstates the size of the contract. Clady's base is $52.5 M, or $10.5 M per year, not $11.5 M.

Second, since $11.5 million is $1.7 million greater than the $9.8 million franchise tag, Brown assumes that Byrd must likewise seek $1.7 million more than his $6.9 million franchise tag. This makes no sense to use gross dollar figures to make a comparison across positions with very different cap figures.

It is far more logical to use the percentage difference between the per-year average and the tag. Clady's $10.5 million annual salary is 7% more than the $9.8 million franchise tag for offensive linemen. A 7% premium to Byrd's $6.9 million tag would be an annual average of $7.4 million. An annual average of $7.4 million would be a great contract from the Bills' perspective.

The bottom line: The Bills are not willing to budge from their sub-market offer. As a result, Byrd will sign a one-year contract for the $6.9 million in exchange for contractual language that the Bills cannot use the tag in 2014. The Bills will gladly accept this condition since they have no intention of tagging him again at $8.3 million next year. Byrd will then sign elsewhere at market rates (about an $8 million per year average with $25 million guaranteed).

Good post until you get to the point the Bills offer is sub-market. That only is true if you think Byrd fits in that order in the market. I for one have always believe that Byrd is soft and he is the typical Parker client. Focus on $$$$ and nothing on team. I can accept any player who is 75% money and 25% team...family comes first...but 100% money usually comes from players who lack real fortitude for the game.

If Jeffery Littman says no, then Byrd must go.

Flow chart for when Littman will say no:

Is the player asking to be paid 72% or less of the salary of equals in the league ---------> Yes --------------> Keep him

No -----------------> Keep the money

Byrd's agent flowchart:

Is the team offering 115% or more than what the market would dictate ------------------------> Yes ----------------> Hold out anyway then sign

No -----------------> Bye bye

Jairus Byrd's personal flowchart:

Do I have to practice if I sign? ------------------------------------------> yes --------------------------> hold out forever

no --------------------------> sign now

Of the six possible answers, the one leverage point is giving J

rus a contract that does not require practice and that will tick off some other players and lead to chaos. Get whatever picks we can for him now. Thanks again Mr. Littman.

This:

The other thing is: Clady's major role is to protect Peyton Manning. Byrd's is... exactly what ?

~AS

This is why Hobbes had serious reservations over whether humans had the intellectual capacity to rule themselves.

This:

~AS

I can't believe somebody actually just called Byrd a one-year wonder and that he'd rather have Aaron Williams. You've clearly never watched a Bills game in your life.

Byrd has more interceptions than both Dashon Goldson and Eric Weddle in three less seasons than the other two. He has more forced fumbles than those other two COMBINED in six less seasons. Equal number of fumbles recovered in six less seasons.

He's a playmaker. No way around it.