PFT Preseason Rankings BB #28

Nanker

if the past is irrelevant you would want them both the same since you would have no data to base a decision on.

Ha. It's irrelevant with respect to the Bills since the key players (HC, QB ) have no past in Buffalo.

Edited by eball

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep missing the point, which is, who would you want right now? The past is irrelevant.

Rex/Sanchez vs Marrone/Kolb?

I'd probably take Rex/Sanchez and hope I drafted EJ so I could release Sanchez.

But, that's because I acknowledge the past (Rex's coaching experience vs Marrone's), and I tend to play it safe with that sort of thing, myself. If neither have any past whatsoever, then hell, it's a coinflip/grab bag situation. Hopefully Marrone ends up being the next NFL genius and not just another in a long string of Bills disappointments.

Ha. It's irrelevant with respect to the Bills since the key players (HC, QB ) have no past in Buffalo.

Kolb has NFL experience, at least. So I think it's fair to compare Sanchez and Kolb... and frankly that's like comparing **** to crap, as far as I'm concerned. :)

But this all originated from me seeing the logic in placing the Jets above the Bills due to having more proven pieces at areas of importance, HC and QB. So really, saying the Bills parts have no past, is simply agreeing with my original sentiment.

Edited by Dorkington

You say that you patently disagree and then in the next sentence you agree? The point that I was making on perception was that it gives you an advantage when everything else is seemingly even. The Bills have traditionally had to overpay for guys or wait until their options run out. An example of a guy that they missed out on this year is Dansby. If the Ravens offered him that same contract he would have probably accepted it. (And yes, I realize that he went to Arizona but he was drafted there and had a level of comfort there. I just used the example because I thought that it was a good one).

I was agreeing that good QB play usually takes place on winning teams. However there are more good QBs in the league right now than winning teams.

You're using Dansby who took a crappy one year deal to play until their starting LB comes back from a 4 game suspension as an example of players not wanting to come to Buffalo? Try again.

You're using Dansby who took a crappy one year deal to play until their starting LB comes back from a 4 game suspension as an example of players not wanting to come to Buffalo? Try again.

No, using that as an example of someone that would have accepted the Bills offer if he believed they were a contender. The Bills, like all losing teams have to overpay to attract free agents (or wait it out and hope no one else offers guys). That IS reality and why perception does matter. It is not as important at this time of year but perception matters.

This is why these rankings are so dumb. At the end of last season we were #24 based on draft order. We haven't lost since, yet we lost 4 spots? WTF? I'm just going to wait til the games begin. The Nfl has a system to rank teams, it's called standings. The come right after the first game and aRe updated every week. That's what I go by. Anything else is just a beauty. COntest.

No, using that as an example of someone that would have accepted the Bills offer if he believed they were a contender. The Bills, like all losing teams have to overpay to attract free agents (or wait it out and hope no one else offers guys). That IS reality and why perception does matter. It is not as important at this time of year but perception matters.

Bologna

Perhaps the only thing more meaningless than draft prognostications is the annual parade of preseason rankings. Not that I think the analysis is off on the Bills just speaking to the category. Every year a couple of teams rise and a couple fall very unexpectedly. Generally, if you are set at QB and and avoid significant injuries to too many key players you will be in the top third. The rest of the so called analysis is sorting out the rest of the pack.