Dead Job Walking

ajzepp

So I just found out in a bit of a strange manner (newspaper got hold of a "leaked" power point slide) that my position at work now has an expiration date. I work on the largest account at my company, with over half the RNs working on this one account. So even though I haven't been officially notified (we have a mandatory meeting in the morning), apparently some time between tomorrow and Dec 31st I'm out of a job.

Anyone else ever been in that position? I'm sure I'll hear something more concrete tomorrow (hopefully), but my stomach sank when I read this and I'm feeling sort of odd.

Thoughts?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda. Company I worked for was owned by another company. At a company wide meeting, during a slide show on how the different businesses were doing, our slide said we had never made a profit. That was all the writing on the wall people needed to start looking elsewhere for work. Less than 6 months later our division was shut down. So what you should do, start looking, even within your own company, but don't slack off on your current duties. You want to leave a good impression.

Kinda. Company I worked for was owned by another company. At a company wide meeting, during a slide show on how the different businesses were doing, our slide said we had never made a profit. That was all the writing on the wall people needed to start looking elsewhere for work. Less than 6 months later our division was shut down. So what you should do, start looking, even within your own company, but don't slack off on your current duties. You want to leave a good impression.

Great advice Jack.

Good luck AJ keep us posted

Great advice Jack.

Good luck AJ keep us posted

Thanks brother...one of these days I may be giving you a call lol

That's going to be a real challenge, cause right now I feel like completely blowing off the job lol...going to be a struggle to keep up performance standards, but as long as the checks still clear...

Thanks Gents...not sure I'll be able to sleep between now and the 9am teleconference...stress is flowing through me like gas!

So I just found out in a bit of a strange manner (newspaper got hold of a "leaked" power point slide) that my position at work now has an expiration date. I work on the largest account at my company, with over half the RNs working on this one account. So even though I haven't been officially notified (we have a mandatory meeting in the morning), apparently some time between tomorrow and Dec 31st I'm out of a job.

Anyone else ever been in that position? I'm sure I'll hear something more concrete tomorrow (hopefully), but my stomach sank when I read this and I'm feeling sort of odd.

Thoughts?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you for something positive to come out if this!! :-)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you for something positive to come out if this!! :-)

Thanks mama

I am in sort of a similar situation right now AJ. Only difference is, nothing has been leaked, but I can see the writing on the wall. I work for the University of Texas...my job falls into the Parking and Transportation division of the University. Recently, the university president gave a "state of the union" address in which he stressed the pressures from the state to streamline operations as much as possible, make more income, without raising tuition. As I was listening, I was cognisent of the fact that our department makes a **** ton of money, but they could make a **** ton more if their prices were more competitive with that of the "real world" (ie: higher)...sure enough, within a month or two, I started reading about other large universities across the country contracting out their transportation services to the highest bidder. It isn't official, and we don't gossip at work much, but I am about 90% sure we are headed down that road in the near future. People have left, and not been replaced...cutting back on part-time workers... we are not any less busy than we were before, so these decisions, obviously are being made to stream-line for a sale... I am actively looking for something else. This is the first job I have ever had that I don't feel a ton of attachment too...

I have seen this before.... from 1993-2001 I managed a Tower Records store...for about the last three years there, the company was always rumored to be going out of business...stores were shutting down every few months, with very little warning. Our store was always on the "stores most likely" to get the ax list...straddling the Mendoza line between being a money maker, or a money loser...we always made money, but never enough to meet expectations.

Like Just Jack suggested, I just kept my nose to the grindstone for those last three years...it was difficult...morale throughout the company got worse with each passing month and store closure. I never dreamed of quitting that job, as I had some of the best times of my life there...but, after a few years of feeling like there was a piano always dangling over my head, I finally bailed...I wanted to stay through to the end (which was definitely coming), but after talking to my peers who had gone through the same thing, and their stores had already closed, I was convinced to do what was best for me, not for "them"... I had put in nearly 12 years with that company, but the people who hired me, who ran the whole thing were mostly gone at that point... the stress of knowing something bad was going to happen, but not knowing exactly when, was just too much for me. The store lasted about another year after I left...the whole company folded shortly thereafter.

Good luck AJ....you will land on your feet, no matter what happens...just sorry to see good people going through this kind of thing.

Edited by Buftex

Wow, you hit it right on the head, Buftex..."the stress of knowign something bad was going to happen, but not knowing exactly when, was just too much for me". I actually feel better hearing you say that, cause there have been some rumors circulating for the last few months, and since that time I've really been experiencing a significant amount of stress, which usually I am able to remain free of. You're exactly right about how hard that situation is, and it's going to get a little worse on my end since I may or may not be able to shift over to another account. With this account having over 400 RNs and ancillary staff, there just won't be enough spots, so I really will have to make some tough decisions.

I really appreciate everyone's responses, and I'm glad it's not coming off like a "woe is me" type thing. I know most of us are dealing with this type of crap nowadays, it just helps to talk about it a bit. Thankfully I started savign up for a car several months ago, so I won't end up under a bridge right off the bat lol.

I'm actually thinking that this may be an opportunity for me to finally have the time to focus on my health in preparation for my next position...a few months of intense gym work and some long overdue dietary changes may be in order. Anywho, thanks guys...

PS. Buftex, that must have been badass working for Tower Records in the 90s, eh?

Edited by ajzepp

I'm not connecting the dots all the way on your story. Did the power point reveal that the largest client was going away?

That's going to be a real challenge, cause right now I feel like completely blowing off the job lol...going to be a struggle to keep up performance standards, but as long as the checks still clear...

Often times layoffs happen in stages so don't be foolish and give them reason to put you in the first round. Good luck.

I was on the floor of the Smith Corona plant in the early 90s when they annouced to the employees they were closing it and moving to Mexico. That was pretty surreal.

Damn, buddy!

I can't really add anything to what's been said already. They're always hiring for Fockers, at least up here....

Yeah, try not to stress yourself overly. That's wicked bad. Always welcome to PM, you know.

And if you get really hard up for cash, you can always sell your $3K pair of headphones. :lol:

I'm actually thinking that this may be an opportunity for me to finally have the time to focus on my health in preparation for my next position...a few months of intense gym work and some long overdue dietary changes may be in order.

Look at them muscles. Hubba hubba :wub:

i think my circuit city experience was pretty well documented and not exactly the same situation as you are...it was announced in mid january 09(?) that we were closing and not being bought...being that it was a corporate setting some laws applied and we needed to make ourselves available for 6 months to do anything that needed to be done before losing our pay in june...no one monitored if you were working or not during that time as we were all no longer required to be in the office every day...i actually did work right up until the end and people knew that...6 months after my last check, former circuit city people came calling on me about an opportunity up here in philly, and the rest is history...

now i am not saying that my working up until the end had any impact on those that came calling for me, but i guess it more kept me sane and upbeat...but just know that your hard work up until the end will be noticed and at worst will keep you in a positive mood which will project to others that see you on a daily basis...don't mail it in

Agreed .... Good advice

I would add is to make sure you start managing your money a little more conservatively.

Also, start networking. Get your name out there as most jobs come about based on a contact you make.

Good luck.