Change the replay...(No-goal vs. Homerun throwback)

boyst

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Have the Stars goal against the Sabres game 6 (jeesh...) not count when it was realized the foot was actually in the crease?
    • have the forward lateral ruled correctly giving the Bills the victory in Tennesee?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT WAS NOT A FORWARD LATERAL.

On the other hand, that season in the NHL, they had been unbelievably consistent calling in the crease on every single play where a player was even remotely touching the crease with a tiny fraction of their skate. And they would use video replay every time it was in question- even in the most meaningless middle-of-the-season games. And then the game-winning goal of the Stanley Cup finals is scored by a player whose entire skate is blatantly in the crease and they don't review it? It's really one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of in sports. It's the reason the NHL is the NHL and the NFL is the NFL. Unfortunately for Bills fans, the refs got that one 100% right. It was a totally lateral/sideways throw, which, according to the rules, constitutes a legal lateral. Get over it. It's 2013.

the Music city Mistake - hands down. I was there and had to walk to my car with all those Titans douchebags in my face. And yes, it was a forward lateral....

Based on the aerial replay, you saw that ball travel forward and not laterally? And the evidence was overwhelming enough for you that you believe the refs should have overturned the (no) call they made on the field? This is a classic example of Bills fan delusion. You are aware that you can throw a ball laterally and it's the same as if it traveled backward, correct? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Based on the aerial replay, you saw that ball travel forward and not laterally? And the evidence was overwhelming enough for you that you believe the refs should have overturned the (no) call they made on the field? This is a classic example of Bills fan delusion. You are aware that you can throw a ball laterally and it's the same as if it traveled backward, correct? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

It's nowhere near as cut and dry as you're making it out to be

It's nowhere near as cut and dry as you're making it out to be

?? I'm saying it wasn't cut and dry. In order for someone to claim it was a forward lateral, it would have to have been thrown clearly forward. Cut and dry. It wasn't. Tie goes to the runner. If it looks like it was thrown laterally, then it's a good play. If someone comes on here and says that the aerial footage clearly shows (cut and dry) that it was a forward lateral, then I will show you a unicorn.

If I could choose two "pick ones" it would be:

Ronnie Harmon catches the pass from Kelly in Cleveland

or

A couple D-Men remain healthy in the Caroline E. Conference finals

For the given question, I gotta pick the Hull goal.

Just to add to this discussion, which newspaper headline seems more likely?

a) "Sabres outlast Stars in Game 7 of Stanley Cup Finals"

b) "Rob Johnson outduels Kurt Warner in Bills Super Bowl Upset"

Well yeah, if you put it that way lol. But then again we may not have had to rely on RJ's mighty arm as much as you think. The 1999 Bills were 2nd in overall defense, we had the #1 pass defense, and were 4th against the run. We had the #9 rushing offense versus St Louis at #5, but the difference was only 1.2 YPG. Playing against a team who's offensive strategy was then based on lightning quick strikes downfield, I still like our chances there as long as we didn't try to "outduel" anyone. Heck, we beat the team (bad call by ref notwithstanding) that just about took them to OT(except for one textbook tackle that all young players should still be shown).

I don't do hockey, so of course it's the Bills.

One of the all time great Bills' shots to the foot starting RJ over Flutie in that game.

But it WAS a forward lateral. No aerial shot or computer simulation will EVER make me think otherwise. Wycheck throws the ball behind the yard line and the receive catches it in front. Case closed IMHO.

?? I'm saying it wasn't cut and dry. In order for someone to claim it was a forward lateral, it would have to have been thrown clearly forward. Cut and dry. It wasn't. Tie goes to the runner. If it looks like it was thrown laterally, then it's a good play. If someone comes on here and says that the aerial footage clearly shows (cut and dry) that it was a forward lateral, then I will show you a unicorn.

On the best replay of it that I have seen yes, the ball does clearly travel forward. However, the Tennessee player is behind the point on the field where the ball was thrown from and leans forward to make the catch, the ball is in his hands before he starts moving forward. I think that the refs gave them the call because of the position of the player rather than that of the ball. All that being said, if we had simply kicked the ball into the end zone we almost certainly wouldn't be talking about this. The "bad call" was made by Wade.

I voted throwback. That was a good football team.

There are two things that strike me about the no goal. The first is, there was a goal called back against the Sabres, in what I believe was one of the last three games of the season. I think Ward was the goal scorer. The second thing is that any other year, Hull's goal was a goal. I believe that was the only year that rule was in affect.

Music City Debacle.

No Goal was OT of Game 6. Reversing it doesn't mean we win and if we did, we'd still have to play Game 7 in Dallas. We had No O that year, so I wouldn't like our chances.

The Forward Lateral, on the other hand, if reversed would have sent the Bills further into the playoffs in a year where any decent QB would likely ride the D and ground game all the way to the Super Bowl. I really feel that was our very best team of the Nineties, Flutie/RJ notwithstanding.

So, no-brainer for me.

We had no O that year however we had Hasek!!! And Niewendyk and Modano were hurting bad...

Bottom line is both calls should have been in our favor..lol

I'd rather Norwood put a little draw on that 47 yard kick.

I have no doubt we would have won the cup if the Sabres had played the entire series with a healthy Def corp when we lost to Carolina.

And I have no doubt we would have made a 5th super bowl if Flutie started over Johnson

Why? Flutie lost the playoff game he started.

PTR

On the best replay of it that I have seen yes, the ball does clearly travel forward. However, the Tennessee player is behind the point on the field where the ball was thrown from and leans forward to make the catch, the ball is in his hands before he starts moving forward. I think that the refs gave them the call because of the position of the player rather than that of the ball. All that being said, if we had simply kicked the ball into the end zone we almost certainly wouldn't be talking about this. The "bad call" was made by Wade.

Come on dude. No it doesn't. Watch the replay:

So the NFL, the refs, Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and former Bill and Buffalo resident Paul Maguire all have a conspiracy against the Bills? Who are you? Biff from Lancaster on the whiner line? Dude, it's over. ALL THAT BEING SAID, I agree with you 100% that it was a complete and utter special teams meltdown and we should never be having this conversation.