How long does Pettine stay with us?

Simple question. On the one hand, this thread is speculating that he may be such a great DC, that he may be on the Bills for only one year before being plucked away for a HC job. On the other hand, the exemplary perfromance of the Jets D beginning with Pettien's arrival are being credited to Rex by the same posters that say he may not be here for long.

Both (he's a great DC that is a season or 2 away from becoming a HC and he's an unnkown because Rex Ryan was the real DC in NYJ) can't be true. My first question was why wasn't he considered for a HC job after a great stint as DC. Someone replied that his D was really a product of Rex. The next logical question was why did the Bills then hire him?

For the record, I think he was a good hire. I knew Edwards and Wanny would be disasters. I don't get that sense with Pettine.

If that "someone" is me I didn't say that at all; I said the perception of being Rex's lackey makes it tough to get a sniff at HC positions, and now Pettine gets the chance to prove he can do it on his own. I don't believe it was at all unclear.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple question. On the one hand, this thread is speculating that he may be such a great DC, that he may be on the Bills for only one year before being plucked away for a HC job. On the other hand, the exemplary perfromance of the Jets D beginning with Pettien's arrival are being credited to Rex by the same posters that say he may not be here for long.

Both (he's a great DC that is a season or 2 away from becoming a HC and he's an unnkown because Rex Ryan was the real DC in NYJ) can't be true. My first question was why wasn't he considered for a HC job after a great stint as DC. Someone replied that his D was really a product of Rex. The next logical question was why did the Bills then hire him?

For the record, I think he was a good hire. I knew Edwards and Wanny would be disasters. I don't get that sense with Pettine.

Show me where anyone said Ryan was the real DC in NY. Your alleged inconsistency falls apart at that stage. Saying that there is a perception of something is not saying that it is actually the case.

I already stated my predictions and said that you could get a good gauge at how the Bills could do this season after the 3rd preseason game (when the Bills starters get extensive action). I also laid out the scenarios of how Spiller could do based on how Hackett could run the offense. There's no point in having you re-read my post because it's painfully obvious you don't have reading comprehension, so let me help you out. Dial 1-800--ABCDEFG and ask for a program called "Hooked on Phonics," It will give you a start in the right direction.

Since you're into bold & blind predictions, how many tackles will Kiko Alonzo have in his NFL career?

Well I'll be waiting with bated breath for your predictions after your skilled eye gets a good look at everything. How can you lay out anything so far under your theory of needing to see things first? I see, you're the only one talented enough to be able to forecast.

Jibber Jabber, Jibber Jabber

If that "someone" is me I didn't say that at all; I said the perception of being Rex's lackey makes it tough to get a sniff at HC positions, and now Pettine gets the chance to prove he can do it on his own. I don't believe it was at all unclear.

Show me where anyone said Ryan was the real DC in NY. Your alleged inconsistency falls apart at that stage. Saying that there is a perception of something is not saying that it is actually the case.

4 people on this post described Pettine "being perceived" (by whom? and why?) as being under Rex's shadow or apron strings or as his lieutenant. I assume all of these posters are describing a widely held perception that Pettine wasn't running the defense in NY. Why would so many have this perception? Is it conspiracy to hamper Pettine's rise in the coaching ranks?

If it isn't true, why bring it up at all?

Well I'll be waiting with bated breath for your predictions after your skilled eye gets a good look at everything. How can you lay out anything so far under your theory of needing to see things first? I see, you're the only one talented enough to be able to forecast.

No Ms. Cleo, you're the psychic here. Your psychic powers are predicting Mike Pettine will turn the Bills defense around in one season and he will be a Head Coach in 2014, even without seeing the Bills play a single down.

What's the winning lottery numbers going to be this week?

4 people on this post described Pettine "being perceived" (by whom? and why?) as being under Rex's shadow or apron strings or as his lieutenant. I assume all of these posters are describing a widely held perception that Pettine wasn't running the defense in NY. Why would so many have this perception? Is it conspiracy to hamper Pettine's rise in the coaching ranks?

If it isn't true, why bring it up at all?

I'm out. It's perfectly clear, but feel free to continue to play whatever little game this is, since you enjoy it so much.

Didn't the Jets' defense get worse the less Rex supposedly was involved in running it??? Yes there were other factors such as the offense sucking and Revis getting hurt. The pass rush and blitz packages seemed less effective over time. Was that play calling, predictability, or personnel???

Don't get me wrong. Nothing can be worse than Wanny. I hated his hiring from day one and posted before last season started that Wanny's hire would cost Gailey his job.

No Ms. Cleo, you're the psychic here. Your psychic powers are predicting Mike Pettine will turn the Bills defense around in one season and he will be a Head Coach in 2014, even without seeing the Bills play a single down.

What's the winning lottery numbers going to be this week?

See in another moment of adolescense you can't seem to tell the truth. Never said Petting will turn the Bills defense around in one season.

I'll tell you what the numbers are after their given. Hey everybody Jibber Jabber doesn't want anyone to predict anything except him because he's a super scout. He needs 3 pre season games and he'll be able to tell how the entire offense is going to perform. You ma'am are a joke.

Really! WTF, folks?!? I know this is the leanest news cycle in the NFL year, but post some dumb stories or hot chicks. This topic is bottom of the barrel stuff.

Pettine will leave for a HC job after back to back Super Bowl wins. Not a day before!

My sentiments exactly.

I think the tooting of Pettine's horn is very premature. The defense hasn't even play a down under Pettine, so let's wait and see how the Defense performs over the course of the season before recommending he should be a HC in the league (Dave Wannstedt ring a bell?)

:thumbsup:

It's one thing if this was the 2nd year under Marrone, Hackett & Pettine where we've seen the Bills play, their schemes and how they use players, but this is year one under a new coaching regime with new coaching schemes. Trying to predict how the Bills will do at this point before even seeing them put on the pads and play a preseason game is equivalent to predicting how well you're going to like a new job just after completing the first interview, but appearently Ms. Cleo, you have the ability to do that. So continue being a troll with avoiding questions and making blind predictions.

Didn't the Jets' defense get worse the less Rex supposedly was involved in running it??? Yes there were other factors such as the offense sucking and Revis getting hurt. The pass rush and blitz packages seemed less effective over time. Was that play calling, predictability, or personnel???

Don't get me wrong. Nothing can be worse than Wanny. I hated his hiring from day one and posted before last season started that Wanny's hire would cost Gailey his job.

You were right about Wanny. From one of your posts written in May of 2012.

> On paper it looks good. However we have no evidence Wanny is a competent DC.

Given your track record, I'm concerned you may also be right about Pettine.

I think the tooting of Pettine's horn is very premature. The defense hasn't even play a down under Pettine, so let's wait and see how the Defense performs over the course of the season before recommending he should be a HC in the league (Dave Wannstedt ring a bell?)

Exactly, Let's see what he does with this group. Hopefully the D-Line will be a force. The Front 4 should all be pro bowlers and we need that kind of ethic if we're going anywhere this season. Their our best group. Both Williams, Anderson and Dareus need to be unstoppable!

I wonder how much longer we can keep the equipment manager here. I'm worried he might bolt before training camp starts. Just imagine the mess we'd be in if THAT happened!

Edited by Nanker

Some thought wannacrap would get poached for a return to HC almost one year ago to the day. Maybe Pettine should make his case, after he's out from under Rex's apron strings, and on his own.

Wanny did get poached. To be a Special Teams coach. After he was canned lol

3 years. Either he gets fired with Marrone, or the Bills' defense is good enough that he parlays that into a head coaching gig or a DC job with a true perennial contender. It's hard to see Pettine using this as anything but a proving ground and a potential stepping stone.