A little late, yet interesting - JCUTLER V RFITZPATRICK

ctk232

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutler rules.....last 3 seasons he has had no OL whatsoever Puuuuuuurriod.

Fitz is a crappy backup with a baby arm........Cutler will shine IMO with these FA OL and WR moves the Bears have made finally.

Here's to the last thread about Fitz! :beer: It's EJ time baby!

i actually think that fitz would be the ideal backup. he seems like a great guy with a lot of knowledge of the game with serious physical limitations. i would have liked for him to be the backup/mentor to ej but i understand why he's not. still wish the guy nothing but the best.

You are overlooking one very important detail: Fitz was our QB and Cutler wasn't. Any player we have is automatically worse than any player on another team.

PTR

or waaaaaay better. i seem to recall a time when Fitz was the next great QB on this board.

or waaaaaay better. i seem to recall a time when Fitz was the next great QB on this board.

That's revisionist history. I don't recall even the most ardent homers claiming any such thing.

Cutler rules.....last 3 seasons he has had no OL whatsoever Puuuuuuurriod.

Fitz is a crappy backup with a baby arm........Cutler will shine IMO with these FA OL and WR moves the Bears have made finally.

Here's to the last thread about Fitz! :beer: It's EJ time baby!

Nope, he is just as prone as Ditz for that one or two WTF was that passes each game. Cutler has a much stringer arm but same type of accuracy issues and cutler is worse off in all the locker room leadership stuff. It's a wash at the end of it all. Cutler will someday maybe stumble into a jake plimber career at best if he has a great team around him pulling the weight. Fitz has an outside shot at the same.

Its going to be interesting to see what Cutler does in that new Chicago offense with new HC Marc Trestman calling the shots. Lets not forget that after OC Ron (sucks) Turner the Bears hired Mike (I'll get the QB killed) Martz and Mike (I don't have a clue) Tice as his OC's. Plus Cutler has played behind some of the very worst lines while in Chicago.

The Buffalo Bills offense under Chan Gailey managed to put up some good numbers passing and rushing, but had great difficulty in winning games....kinda why Chan was fired.

As intrigued as i am about the Bears new offense this season as I'm also very intrigued about what the Buffalo Bills will do.

It is ill informed at best and delusional at worst to believe that Jay Cutler and Ryan Fitzpatrick are equal or close in talent level.

Jay Cutler was a gunslinging all-pro when the Bears hung him out to dry when they traded away high value draft picks for (2) years when they could not afford to do so. They badly needed players (OL, WR) to give him a chance for success. He had one of the worst OLs in the league, sub par receivers until recently, went from one bad OC to another (Mike Martz traded away Jay's best target in TE Greg Olsen for a "blocking TE" that couldn't), and spent most of his time injured, flat on his back or concussed.

Ryan Fitzprick is a perennial backup calibre QB who played in a scheme that maximzed his talents and then regressed when the league found out how simpe the Bills offense really was (Slant pass, seam route, bubble screen, check down).

It is ill informed at best and delusional at worst to believe that Jay Cutler and Ryan Fitzpatrick are equal or close in talent level.

Jay Cutler was a gunslinging all-pro when the Bears hung him out to dry when they traded away high value draft picks for (2) years when they could not afford to do so. They badly needed players (OL, WR) to give him a chance for success. He had one of the worst OLs in the league, sub par receivers until recently, went from one bad OC to another (Mike Martz traded away Jay's best target in TE Greg Olsen for a "blocking TE" that couldn't), and spent most of his time injured, flat on his back or concussed.

Ryan Fitzprick is a perennial backup calibre QB who played in a scheme that maximzed his talents and then regressed when the league found out how simpe the Bills offense really was (Slant pass, seam route, bubble screen, check down).

Ding ding! laughable how bad the bears have done him....the Olsen trade was terrible IMO.

oh, so the brees comparisons didnt happen?

Oh, I totally made that comparison because the guy got so much flack that it was unbearable. The hate for RF was unreal for the last couple seasons, he wasn't great and had some really bad moments, but he wasn't the antichrist like you would read about in-season.

You miss the point and the relevant facts when you use statistics to compare QB's. It's not about completion percentage, or number of sacks per attempt(s), or yards per pass etc. Look at last year. Take two games, the Titans game at home and the Indy game on the road. I attended both games, which were both losses for the Bills. It's true that the Titans game was a disaster for the defense. It's also true that the Bills offense scored a bunch of points, and Fitz had something to do with that. However, what happened at the end of the game? An interception via a poorly thrown pass into a crosswind that Fitz had no business throwing. If you are old enough to have watched a real QB play, Roger Staubach, you know that that never would have happened with him at the controls. Where's your stat for that? Second. During the Indy game, Fitz had receivers open all day on long streak patterns. Yet he under or overthrew them every time. He left at least 21 points on the field with his poor arm. That is the story of Fitzpatrick, his terrible erratic arm. Overall, throughout his tenure, Chan Gailey's offense had guys open on deep routes lots of times, but Fitz could not consistently deliver. Yes, he made those throws several times, and indeed, at times, many throws were excellent and on the money, but you could not count on him through thick and thin, not like a 'real" QB. Believe me when you sit in the stands of the "old rockpile", and watch a master consistently place the ball, long, short and intermediary, on the fingertips of his receivers, you know who is in the HOF for a reason. Yes, i'm talking about Joe Namath. By the way, I never remembered Namath leaving points on the field due to an errant pass. Ditto Lenny Dawson, another HOF guy. Oh, and one more thing. The measure of a great QB ? Winning ! Fitzpatrick not. Namath and Dawson yes. Enough said.

Fitz had his issues, but he was better then lots of haters made him out to be. He was never going to be All-Pro or a HOF'er but he was capable of playing in the right situation

Where Fitz got screwed was our Defenses inability to do anything against good teams, and our HC unable to stick with the run game. mostly Defense issues though

If the Bills had a top 10 defense we would of seen playoffs with Fitz.

Edited by Snorom

and if the bills had a top-10 QB they would have made the playoffs. the defense put the team in positions to win the game- e.g. the patriots game- and fitz couldn't deliver. he was also horridly inept at maintaining possession and sustaining drives through third down conversion.

To be honest, I have never thought of Cutler as a quality QB, capable of being a true starting caliber QB in the NFL. However this comparison between him and Fitz is a great insight into how media attention can shape and define certain player's careers:

http://www.reddit.co...fitzpatrick_in/

I think the main thing you can take out of this isn't that Fitz is better than we thought, but that Cutler is not a very good QB (Been my opinion for a long time)...He has been living on the hype train his whole career, while never playing at a high level. He is an INT machine, always has been. Cutler has somehow always been talked about by many as a top tier QB, without ever having come close to earning that label. That is something that has always puzzled me. It's been 7 years of poor QBing now...

The general reasoning I hear for this is simple a host of excuses...

Edited by Turbosrrgood